Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14th November 2011, 06:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired
Default Skyrim. Tips, tricks and cool stuff (possible spoilers).

Post up any tips, tricks, or just interesting stuff you've found in game.

A few free arrows per fight.
Your followers don't use arrows, they seem to automatically shoot arrows of the same type as the bow they are using. Eg, my follower is using a dwarven bow so I get a few free dwarven arrows per fight.

Carrying tips.
  • Potions of strength are handy. Dawdle your way out of a dungeon overloaded. Quaff the strength pot, and fast-travel home.
  • Also, when you get to a dungeon you want to explore, fast travel home, clean out your inventory, then fast travel back.
  • Your follower will carry stuff for you. They will also use gear you give them.
  • If you are overloaded and there is nothing for it but the long slow walk, don't forget your whirlwind dash thu'um. It's a short cool down and makes a huge difference when travelling overloaded.

Old 14th November 2011, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
BF Game Op
Elite - Post: 4477

Relaxed

I might as well dump the tips I have found here..

Carrying tips:
- If you want to cheat like me, hit ` key, then type: player.setav carryweight 10000000
- There are also enchantments in the game which reduce weight, I found one in a dwemer dungeon recently
- There is a "Fortify Carry Weight Potion" recipe at the White Phial Shop in Windhelm which is 1 x Giants Toe and 1 x Creep Cluster Root.

FOV
- You can change it in config or just use console, hit ` and type: FOV 80

Sleep bug
- Sometimes the UI breaks, just select the hours you want to sleep by moving left/right, then hit E

Dual Wielding Spells Bug
- Sometimes you can't dual wield properly. Just add the spell to you quick list, press Q, then press a number to assign to that spell between 1-8. Then just press that number twice to assign the spell to both hands.

Left/Right click is backwards!!
- Key bindings is a nightmare in Skyrim, console port sloppiness I guess. In the key config put it on the right hand key binding and hit left then right mouse, that will swap right/left click it's easy to stuff it up. If you try hard enough it's possible to complete stuff bindings due to the poor UI implementation.

Cool Map Mod
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=145#

Mods Mods Mods
www.curse.com/mods/skyrim
http://skyrim.rpg-mods.com/mods-downloads

Battlefield 4: Infantry Skill Thread | Vehicle Skill Thread | Battlefield Blog
Team Fortress 2: TOG | Niet

Last edited by nietzsche; 14th November 2011 at 01:20 PM.
nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1615

Amused

To disable vsync:

Add iPresentInterval=0 to the bottom of the [Display] section of the Skyrim.ini file in the \Users\[Username]\My Documents\My Games\Skyrim directory.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

The Skyrim experience can be enhanced through liberal application of Maxwell's Spiced Mead (Maxwell of McLaren Vale : Australia's favourite honey wines). To a certain point... Then it all starts to get blurry.

Honestly, this stuff is absolutely delicious.
Old 14th November 2011, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 721

I posted this in the other thread but might as well put it here for anyone having issues. Skyrim Crashes, Freezes, Sound, Keys, Errors, FPS, Lag, Textures, and Fixes | SegmentNext
Old 15th November 2011, 09:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7437

Yeehaw

There's some odd technical issues with this game. One I have is that after a while of playing the game appears to slow down a heap, like the FPS is really really low but it actually isn't (with FRAPS on the frame rate stays solid, so it's something in game that's causing some kind of hitching/stuttering). A quick fix is to task switch (alt+tab) and the stutter goes away for a while.

Only found one other person online who's realised this wasn't actually a drop in fps but some kind of in-game bug and thus far haven't found anything to fix it permanently. Kinda heard to search for info on this online with all the spaz-tech's in the wider gaming community kicking mud into the water. 10 years from now I shudder to think how bad the net's signal-to-noise ratio will be for stuff like this.

Last edited by Drac; 15th November 2011 at 09:57 AM.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
BF Game Op
Elite - Post: 4477

Relaxed

Still waiting for crossfire cap profiles for this game, apparently out soon. People rave about how great it looks, but I keep seeing some seriously disgusting textures. In some places it seems like a game from a few years ago. Sure the sky is beautiful but half the time I am standing next to a building with textures from Morrowind.

Maybe I need more tweaking, but this game is NOWHERE near Witcher 2 visually. It feels about 5-6 years behind Witcher 2 in fact.

For an example of shocking textures, go into the thieves guild area. I thought I had stepped back into a game from 2003. Luckily the game play was still awesome!

Reminds me of this somewhat http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=682

Battlefield 4: Infantry Skill Thread | Vehicle Skill Thread | Battlefield Blog
Team Fortress 2: TOG | Niet

Last edited by nietzsche; 15th November 2011 at 10:18 AM.
nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1321

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietzsche View Post
Still waiting for crossfire cap profiles for this game, apparently out soon. People rave about how great it looks, but I keep seeing some seriously disgusting textures. In some places it seems like a game from a few years ago. Sure the sky is beautiful but half the time I am standing next to a building with textures from Morrowind.

Maybe I need more tweaking, but this game is NOWHERE near Witcher 2 visually. It feels about 5-6 years behind Witcher 2 in fact.

For an example of shocking textures, go into the thieves guild area. I thought I had stepped back into a game from 2003. Luckily the game play was still awesome!

Reminds me of this somewhat [H]ard|Forum - View Single Post - Rage sucks
That is very interesting, I have not noticed those problems, especially to that extend. Maybe I just don't notice that as much as others, but I definitely have felt different than you have overall. Multiple times during every play through I think to myself that I have never played a more beautiful game. I am a huge Witcher 2 fan too! I struggle to compare the two as they are so different in so many ways. Both have strengths and weakness' as compared to each other. Overall, I personally find Skyrim to be a better looking game, other than the tits.
Old 15th November 2011, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday_0612 View Post
That is very interesting, I have not noticed those problems, especially to that extend. Maybe I just don't notice that as much as others, but I definitely have felt different than you have overall. Multiple times during every play through I think to myself that I have never played a more beautiful game. I am a huge Witcher 2 fan too! I struggle to compare the two as they are so different in so many ways. Both have strengths and weakness' as compared to each other. Overall, I personally find Skyrim to be a better looking game, other than the tits.
+ 1 I'm using a single AMD/ati card and it looks fantatic. I also play Witcher 2. Maybe just a CF thing?
Old 15th November 2011, 01:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac View Post
There's some odd technical issues with this game. One I have is that after a while of playing the game appears to slow down a heap, like the FPS is really really low but it actually isn't (with FRAPS on the frame rate stays solid, so it's something in game that's causing some kind of hitching/stuttering). A quick fix is to task switch (alt+tab) and the stutter goes away for a while.

Only found one other person online who's realised this wasn't actually a drop in fps but some kind of in-game bug and thus far haven't found anything to fix it permanently. Kinda heard to search for info on this online with all the spaz-tech's in the wider gaming community kicking mud into the water. 10 years from now I shudder to think how bad the net's signal-to-noise ratio will be for stuff like this.
Kind of sounds like it is loading a new area. This game is huge and it will need to load/unload stuff from your HDD to memory. I wonder how much free memory you have before you start the game also are you running slower RPM HDD? Slow RPM hard drives will increase the seek time.

I upgraded from a 5200 RPM WD Green to a OCZ SSD. I have noticed a marked decrease in loading times and in hitching in game.