TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24th January 2012, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh
Default Castle Story

This is looking like a good game to keep an eye on. Rock Paper Shotgun have flagged it as the next MineCraft. Hasn't been released yet though...

Old 24th January 2012, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9010

To me it is more for those who like the strategy games. The third person/multiple plebs approach doesn't really grab me.

As for being the next hit indie game, I think they will have to start releasing now if they want to build up a fan group. Word-of-mouth (on the internet) is a large part of what made Minecraft popular. And even Notch concedes that Minecraft isn't the new way to develop and sell software. Even he considers it a once-off for the industry.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
And even Notch concedes that Minecraft isn't the new way to develop and sell software. Even he considers it a once-off for the industry.
If I'm correctly interpreting what you mean Sorantar, I was wondering whether that echos the feeling of the developer of Cube World. He appears intent on finishing the game before releasing it rather than the minecraft model of dev / alpha / beta releases. While such a model does gather support over time and can assist in offsetting development costs it also runs the risk of players losing interest and moving on prior to an actual official 1.0 release , which itself may hinder the life of the finished product and vision of the developer.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9010

Well Wollay, the Cube World guy, turned down a job at Mojang just the other week. Notch fully supported his decision and IIRC Notch also likes the look of this game. But Notch isn't always the best judge of a person (or a business plan). That's why he employs other people to handle PR and business (and makes a fool of himself when he tries to do it himself).

This game may gather support but he will need to give people regular updates, and show it off at meets to help maintain that support.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 05:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Doh

From what I read the devs are planning on getting their business side sorted first, then will get the game to a point that it is fun to play and at that point do an alpha or beta release. At this stage they say the game does certain things but is going to annoy people.
Old 25th January 2012, 06:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7433

Yeehaw

So it's like Sim City, but you have to make every building brick-by-pain-staking-brick.

And RPS have flagged this as the next big thing?

They be smoke'n the funny stuff.

I'm sure it'll do well, but it's a fairly niche game I reckon - Minecraft has more of a direction connection and you can actually move around/inside of the things you build and it feels more like you've built stuff yourself. With that game you're kinda limited because the camera is always on the outside unless they start adding in complicated camera UIs to control internal/external viewing and stuff, but that'll just make everything feel even more detached.

My 0.2c

Still, props for Unity engine

Last edited by Drac; 25th January 2012 at 06:18 AM.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 12:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

I've had my eye on it for a while and think it looks promising as well.

As for the Minecraft sale business model. Can't be a once off as it was done successfully (albeit not to the same scale) initially with Mount and Blade. At least that was the first title I saw that sold cheap copies early and raised the price gradually as the game approached completion.

Maybe it's a twice off... Although Project Zombie are doing it too...
Old 25th January 2012, 02:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Doh

I think it is becoming a fairly standard business model for Indie developers. Star Ruler did it successfully as well.
Old 26th January 2012, 06:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7433

Yeehaw

I think Notch meant that the runaway success and "I'm a self made millionaire form this one bit of software, and it's not even finished!" was more of a one-off thing. Stuff like that is more or less "hit" based, some things become wildly popular but it doesn't mean similar things will be as successful and it almost always leads to the next big hit thing being something quite different from the last. I can't see this happening again for a similar minecraft style indie game for at least another decade. A different style indie game, sure.

The community funding model for indie game development is gaining a lot of tracking of late but it's also been around for quite some time.

Interstellar Marines <- Another Unity Engine game (scifi FPS) making good use of a similar business model.

You can play the game right on their website if you have the Unity web player plugin installed.

Last edited by Drac; 26th January 2012 at 06:25 PM.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote