Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9th February 2012, 07:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Average - Post: 200

Cheerful
Default kingdoms of amalur reckoning

Hey guys. I've been playing this game for a few hours now and it certainly puts my thirst for a good rpg at rest. Was wondering if any of you tried it ? Thoughts ? etc
In my opinion it is a really good game, of course it has a few problems but I would like to recommend it as a nice rpg to play!

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Heirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9th February 2012, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1680

Cynical

It's a console port and it shows - badly. This is the worst buy for the last year for me and I bought Sword of the Stars 2!

Glorified fighting game with RPG elements that are just lifted straight out of MMOs. Poor graphics not even up to SWOTRs standard possibly a little better then WOW. Limited POV so at times you end up looking at your back rather then what is in front of you. Not open world by any means. The map is divided up in to very limited corridors. No jumping unless you get a prompt to do so. Stealth is a simple crouch mechanic during which you might not get detected so no stealthy use of terrain. Interaction is by pressing F - so press F to pick up, open door etc. This leads to situations where you go to loot and end up in another room and unable to go back for the loot all because the loot was too close to the door. Awkward inventory - possibly the worst I've used in many years. The issues just go on and on.

Honestly - wait for it to be on sale. The "reviewers" on IGN etc that are giving 8-10 are either 38/EA employees or console players who are used to this sort of poor product.

Unfortunately yet another example of how PC games are being hamstrung by the limitations of consoles.

Save your money for something - anything - else.

Last edited by recon; 9th February 2012 at 08:31 PM.
recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

I was a little concerned that may have been the case Recon after seeing some gameplay footage (all be it pre-release version) yesterday.

Thanks for the heads up.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 04:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6657

Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by recon View Post
. Awkward inventory - possibly the worst I've used in many years. The issues just go on and on.
Jeez and i know for a fact you played Skyrim.
Old 10th February 2012, 09:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain

Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawheidbob View Post
Jeez and i know for a fact you played Skyrim.
Yep and Skyrim was an absolute joy to use comparatively.

I really wanted to like this game but honestly I'd prefer to be playing SWOTR. The NPC interaction and voice acting in that are far superior. The story lines are much better and more engaging in SWTOR as well. True, I didn't play the whole thing and perhaps it gets better but then to do that you'd have to pay me.

The cutscenes are absolutely terrible as well.

Really disappointed. Just hope ME3 isn't a let down because I'm honestly very concerned about the state of PC gaming more so then at any other time in the last few years.
Old 10th February 2012, 09:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain

Cynical

Oh here's one I just remembered that really annoyed me. Archery - you get 6 arrows which once used you have to wait for them to be magically restocked. You cannot miss with a bow. There is no skill involved at all. No estimate of range, where the arrow will hit etc
Old 10th February 2012, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1675

Amused

I totally agree with recon... I played the demo and its just bad...
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
DOTA2
Deadly - Post: 2181

Confused

So many paid reviews, don't know how it's getting such high scores. IGN said it's a GOTY contender
Battlelog ~ PSN - Trent_Steele ~ Steam ~ Battle.net - Chief#6843
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 04:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 56

Cool

I knew this game would not hold a candle to Skyrim. I am glad I choose to go with Jagged Alliance: BTA.
BigMik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 04:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 7497

Paranoid

I'm also confused. Wasn't on my radar but heard a lot of GOTY talk a few days prior to release. Downloaded the demo and after 3 minutes I deleted it. While I admit to having a short attention span, I couldn't find anything to like in those 3 minutes.

After release I hear even greater talk of GOTY. I'm starting to question whether I'm sane.. I understand 3 minutes isn't that much but I saw zero redeeming qualities in that time. Nothing hooked me to say, 'Oh, hello... we may have something here'

Is there something we're missing that requires an hour or two for it to click?
Purg is online now   Reply With Quote