Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15th May 2012, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Correspondent
Correspondent
Elite - Post: 4611

Breezy
Default R.U.S.E

Anyone playing R.U.S.E?

Its a good strategy game. But the AI like all games does get easy after a little while. Wanted to team up with someone to take on multiple AI see how we go.

The game does lack a little depth, but I do enjoy playing a good strategy game!

Let me know if your keen to take on the AI with me!

Old 15th May 2012, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 7376

Paranoid

Concept was good but got bored of it pretty quickly. Have moved on somewhat to their latest title, Wargame: European Escalation. Decent price with a little more realism and a whole lot more units.
Purg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 810

If anybody wants to play wargame MP let me know.
Old 15th May 2012, 03:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Correspondent
Correspondent

Breezy

Yeah I agree Purg, it just gets a little boring after a while.
Just wanted to try out the multiplayer part.
It certainly lacked depth, they needed to improve greatly on the prototype units. They were just much the same.
Old 18th May 2012, 02:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7441

Yeehaw

I disagree, the prototypes are very different, depending on the nation you play, they generally fill in gaps in your army as you move into the late game unless you're USA then you don't really need it because that army is already pretty well rounded.

Proto gaps:
USA: Long range arty
Germany: Armoured AA
France: Decent Heavy Armour and (kinda) Armoured AA
Italy: Armoured AA, Heavy~ish Armour
USSR: Decent Heavy Armour
Brits: Semi-decent ground units.
Japan: Overpowered auto-win machines.

I play RUSE a lot, over 500 hours so far. I'll sneak in a few multiplayer games almost every day.

I tried wargame but it's meh, I dunno, it's trying too hard for realism and it lost of lot of the appeal RUSE has. In my opinion RUSE is the better multiplayer game by a long shot. Wargame might make a good single player game though. RUSEs single player campaign was quite terrible, soooo slow compared to it's multiplayer. The AI in RUSE is also laughable but making a good strategy game AI is night impossible unless you make the AI cheat (like command and conquer).
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 10:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Are there many still playing RUSE MP? I might give it a go.
Old 18th May 2012, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Correspondent
Correspondent

Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawprawn View Post
Are there many still playing RUSE MP? I might give it a go.
I can never find a game.

I'm only 20hours in so Drac has the ins and outs a lot more than me.

I will say this, the strategy component would be awesome in Multiplayer. The whole game is really like a chest board. I would get smashed in Multiplayer atm. Takes someone to know the capabilities of the game a lot more I think.
Old 19th May 2012, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7441

Yeehaw

Yeah, in multiplayer the game has a very nice risk/reward balance. Like most strategy games it's all about finding that right balance of securing resources, building an army and making sure you punish the enemy if he's being too greedy (which means intel is always super important). Each nation usually has some good harassing units early game be it air or fast tanks/infantry. In team multiplayer games it gets a bit more complex, you usually want one person to sacrifice their economy to put on heavy pressure and keep the enemy on the defensive while the other two secure as many depos/resources as possible. I've even played games where we've made the entire other team surrender with mostly decoys (a few real units up front, heaps of decoys behind them, they through we built no depos and just all-in rushed them).

There are often a lot of people playing but not many of them are aussies, most are UK/US/Euro but in the evenings here there's usually a few games going. You'll also find if you lvl is low most people will kick you from team lobbies, best to start your own game and kick the lvl 100 ranked players and learn with fellow lowbies. Multiplayer is very punishing to inexperienced players.

If you end up in a higher level game the other players will probably try to pick on you. My advice is always have recon, always decrypt the starting zone of italy players (they like to proxy tank base rush, if they do make an anti tank base). In fact, best to do that regardless if you're new, and camo your own base so they have to guess what you're doing.

Standard game opening is 3 depos + 1/2 bases, usually something with recon (barracks/tank base). Recon is sooo important, most low lvl players I play against/with always seems to neglect recon and get smashed because of it, your opponent will have recon, they will see you don't, they will take advantage of that and take you by surprise. If you want to pile on early pressure then it's 1 or 2 depos and usually 2 of the same kind of base (2 tanks bases, 2 barracks) as build time/research is based on how many bases of that kind you own. Russia will often double/tripple barracks rush with about 25-30 heavy infantry as their barracks only cost $10. Lots of light tanks or bunkers with flamethrowers is the best counter to infantry rushes.

Watch how many depos your opponent makes as that will likely tell you what they're planning. If you see them making one/none cancle your own depos if you can and prepare to defend. Watch out for sneaky construction trucks (camo ruse hides construction trucks as they're technically still buildings) and sneaky infantry trying to capture your bases, lots of UK players will paratroop rush low lvl players bases, even in higher lvl games many UK players will paradrop depos if they can see you making your bases well ahead of them as by the time you get something back to defend it they've kill that $40 depo with a $15 unit and slowed down your overall economy. Also watch out for UK and Japan players trying to snipe construction trucks with planes in the early game. They'll often rush out an air recon and a few fighters to snipe trucks heading to depos or forward bases.

As you can see, there's a lot of variety and that's all early game/build advice, if you survive that then the late/mid game has it's own set of issues and how you compose and handle different engagements on the field also has it's own tactical nuances. It will take time to get a handle on how different nations can be dangerous to your current deployment and how to sense when/where they are weak and when to be aggressive or defensive.

Last edited by Drac; 19th May 2012 at 12:54 PM.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkey View Post
I can never find a game.

I'm only 20hours in so Drac has the ins and outs a lot more than me.

I will say this, the strategy component would be awesome in Multiplayer. The whole game is really like a chest board. I would get smashed in Multiplayer atm. Takes someone to know the capabilities of the game a lot more I think.
I'm more than willing to learn if you ever feel like a MP game.
Old 21st May 2012, 01:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4592

Fine

I have it also and am a complete nubbins but keen to jump into a group with prawn n parkey... fire up TS and send out a message on steam