Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16th May 2012, 07:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Retired Captain
RnR
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4606

Alpha 2 is getting released shortly. Patch notes is over on the forums - Playable Alpha Release Notes

Looks like a ton of fixes.

Old 23rd May 2012, 03:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Division Vice Captain
MechWarrior Online
Elite - Post: 2936

Amused
Default Endless Space - Reinvigorating the 4X genre?

So over there years there have been numerous 4x games that have come and gone, some with a following some which have proven to be to buggy and rubbish to last long..

I was a big fan of imperium galactica and an even older classic stars! both of which really encompassed the genre well. Then there was a big empty period for me.. ..i tried to fill the void with sins of a solar empire, but the real time space battles couldnt win me over as i found the other elements of the game somewhat barren. (Diplomacy was just bland as hell & managing colonies was pretty average!)

Needless to say i stumbled apon an article that chronicled the to-ing and fro-ing of the 4x genre and caught mention of a game under development called 'Endless Space'.

What interests me is that firstly its being developed by a small company (+1), the alpha version is playable allowing users to provide feedback to the developers and from the shots i have seen it looks like it could be set to re-ignite the 4x genre. I have provided a link below:

Endless Space / Products / Amplitude - Endless-Space

Any TOG members had any experiences with this new development? Any thoughts on the gameplay/style of the game?! Check out the article below, i think this game looks absolutely ace!! I have been after an all out awesome game in this genre for ages!!

Why You Should Buy Endless Space. The Scientific Gamer

Some screenshots:

MWO: White Bear 84 | Minecraft/Rust: white_bear_84 | BF3/BF4 - Fired_up_Bear84 | ESO: WhiteBear84 |

white_bear_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 06:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Wildstar
Elite - Post: 2898 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Cheerful

I... am actually unsure of what '4x' is. The game looks interesting though!
xenoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 07:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Division Vice Captain
MechWarrior Online

Amused

eXplore eXpand eXploit eXterminate

MWO: White Bear 84 | Minecraft/Rust: white_bear_84 | BF3/BF4 - Fired_up_Bear84 | ESO: WhiteBear84 |

Old 23rd May 2012, 08:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Retired Captain
RnR
Retired Captain

Already covered in this thread mate - http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/...ess-space.html
Old 24th May 2012, 10:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
Division Vice Captain
MechWarrior Online

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnR View Post
Already covered in this thread mate - http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/...ess-space.html
No thread specified?

Old 24th May 2012, 10:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
Retired Captain
RnR
Retired Captain

Your thread and the one I linked got merged
Old 24th May 2012, 12:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Division Vice Captain
MechWarrior Online

Amused

Quote:
Your thread and the one I linked got merged
Well what do you know, so they have!

I really wanted to download this last night, but because i downloaded shogun total war 2 and some other games i used up my bandwith and got shaped until the 25th.. ..last few days have been hell browsing!

Will be on the high priority downloads for this weekend!

I remember playing Stars! years and years ago and tbh have yet to find a 4x that i loved as much (although imperium galactica came close) - even though its years old and not exactly the most visually appealing game.. ..and i was playing this when i was a kid lol

Would sell my soul for a way to get this game working on windows 7... ...LOL!

Last edited by white_bear_84; 24th May 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 24th May 2012, 01:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Retired Captain
RnR
Retired Captain

I never got into Stars! I did play a play by email game galactic strategy game around that time. You would create your orders in a text format and send it into a server. The server would run all the players orders simultaneously and send out the results. You could conduct diplomacy by via pseudonym on the server. Got a little intense at times

Love the devs behind Endless Space. There has been 2 updates since I have bought it and they seems to be listening to the players.
Old 24th May 2012, 01:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
Division Vice Captain
MechWarrior Online

Amused

Quote:
Love the devs behind Endless Space. There has been 2 updates since I have bought it and they seems to be listening to the players.
This is a big +1 for the developers. Good to see some companies going this way.. ..unlike EA which will 'listen' to consumers provided it = more $$$!

On that note, very impressed with the price - for how the visuals and gameplay look = excellent value!