Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24th May 2012, 03:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1405 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Sneaky

Try virtualisation!

Star - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia!

Stars can be run on most versions of Windows from Windows 3.1 up. It can even be run on Linux systems through the Wine system. However, under Wine, version 2.70 crashes during combat if combat sounds are enabled. Stars! does not run directly on the 64-bit version of Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7, which cannot run 16-bit software. However, it can be played on a virtual machine like Virtual Windows XP on Windows 7,[1] or in VirtualPC on earlier 64 bit versions of windows. Another alternative is VirtualBox.

Asmodai aka Saviourself aka Stabbitha aka Azshadoria... or Azsh... Azshaz?
Asmodai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26th May 2012, 02:40 PM   #22 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_bear_84 View Post
eXplore eXpand eXploit eXterminate
Guess they could also have called it 4E, or EEEE, or PPPT? Maybe they just don't have the mystery and allure of XXXX!
Old 26th May 2012, 05:39 PM   #23 (permalink)
Retired Captain
RnR
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4666

Never heard of XXXX described in the same sentence with 'mystery' and 'allure'...
Old 28th May 2012, 08:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnR View Post
Never heard of XXXX described in the same sentence with 'mystery' and 'allure'...
Not so sure. If you click through your link to the website (assuming you can answer "Yes" to being over 18 ), then I think their Marketing Dept want you to think the XXXX Angels are pretty alluring.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2012, 03:51 AM   #25 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 8

Yeehaw

I find it a bit dry for my taste. The combat is excellent, but I do hope they add a bit more to the dipomatic side of things.

This game is the closest that anyone has come to beating MOO2 though. MOO2 still rules even after all this time!
waitingtoconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2012, 04:21 AM   #26 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 60

Amused

I just bought the game from Gamestop...I'm going to read the manual first..I suck with tutorials...I wonder if being 66 is slowing my aged brain..lol
ttomm61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 01:06 PM   #27 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 56

Cool

I bought the game in the beta stage and voted on many of the aspects of the game. I think they can add some more features in the game and I believe it will grow just like the wonderful Sins did. Just have to move faster acquiring systems and planets!!!

Bigmik1
BigMik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 12:33 AM   #28 (permalink)
Recruitment Manager
EvE Online
Competent - Post: 321

Angelic

I bought it. Looks nice and the UI is pretty good.
Knowing what tech to research is a lot harder than civilisation, no pop ups saying people are unhappy you should build a blah.

I'm wondering if I should just jump in and try multiplayer, I figured I'd try and work it out on my own first.
dmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 09:02 AM   #29 (permalink)
Retired Captain
RnR
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4666

Old 8th August 2012, 08:11 PM   #30 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
World of Warcraft
Elite - Post: 2501

After 39 hours played I think I'm done with it, and as any 4x fan know 39 hours is nothing

I found it a little bland and doesn't really bring anything new to the genre.

I like the race customisation which allows a lot of flexibility and different play styles. Research has a huge tree but most research items are just improved versions from the previous tiers; some more diversification would have been nice. Empire building can become time consuming but I don't mind that, I did however have issues deciding what are effective planet upgrades or not and whether the cost vs benefit was worth building it. Some UI feed back in there somewhere would have helped.

With the combat I'm sitting on the fence, I can't tell sometimes if ships are focusing fire or shoot one for one which can lead to some wide ranging outcomes when two similarly powered fleets meet and play cards evenly. It seems that if you loose one ship then one of your ships then becomes the target of an additional ship and your fleet just dies in a cascading mess of carnage.

In any case once you field the best fleet then you can pretty much steam roll everyone else (a common problem with most strategy games). The AI's strategy tends along the lines of spamming you with endless fleets which for the most part are more annoying than effective.

Overall I think it is "just OK, but nothing special".
TheBigBad is offline   Reply With Quote