Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13th October 2012, 09:41 AM   #111 (permalink)
Advisor
Advisor
Elite - Post: 4513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
SOLD!

Got off green man for $49. Got a steam key straight away.

Now its a 12 gig d/l I'll be able to play it buy ... xmas perhaps.
$49? Didn't you punch in their discount code off the front page?
The 25% off code would have expired around 9pm or so yesterday, but they replaced it with a 20% off code.

With the 10% preorder discount and the 25% off code, my copy was US$33.75 when I ordered 2 weeks ago. First time I have used them and I am wishing I had been more aware of them earlier.
Such an incredible bargin for what so far I feel is a game I would have been willing to pay full price for - Even happier I didn't have to

Marvel Heroes - TOGBlackIce
BlackIce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13th October 2012, 10:51 AM   #112 (permalink)
Destiny
Dangerous - Post: 812

Tired

Yeah I guess he missed the code. Still $49 is better than $69.99 anyway and as many have said I'd pay full price for the game now I've played it.

It's not perfect. It could use some simple things like the ability to skip discovery animations and/or speed up the animations. Eventually you just want that stuff to play out after you've seen it dozens of times. I'm surprised they didn't do this given the original had it.

The controls with a 360 controller could have been better. I don't understand why more games don't use a radial menu. And/or two stage shortcuts. If I can play an MMO with a controller they can surely make it faster to play a game like this than scrolling through a list of skills with the d-pad.

I haven't tried the PC controls yet, but might do that today.

I did read some ATI users complaining about crashes but I'm using a 7970 here and am crash free with 40hrs played.
Old 13th October 2012, 01:35 PM   #113 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3027

$40...cant wait.

Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 06:05 PM   #114 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6657

Grumpy

11.4 MB/S god damn i get 140kbs on a good day

On a other note i was in a way wanting to come in here and see comments like - 'this game sucks'

Now thanks to you all i have to break my no more games until Christmas rule....oh well since its broke i may as well ordered Disordered and a Wii U as well
Old 13th October 2012, 09:43 PM   #115 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

Wow, such high hopes. And after getting my first good session in, I'm so very disappointed.

Too much of a fan of the original and this is just too far from that. It appears to be a good game in it's own right and I really hope I can bring myself to enjoy it, but... It's just too lacking, and there are just too many irritating factors.

Loadout slots too limited.
Actions per turn too restricted.
Movement far too restricted.
Can't trade gear between soldiers or pick up stuff from your casualties during a mission.
Aliens can often shoot me right through walls (they don't destroy the wall, that would be fine, their shots just pass straight through).
Aliens know where you are even when you're out of their line of sight.
And more and more tears, but I wont go on with my whinging and whining.

To keep it in perspective, I am a huge fan of the original. I re-play it once every year or two. All playing this new version has done is make me want to go back and re-play the original.

Very sad XCOM fan here. My opinion is that they have taken the utter brilliance of the original and dumbed it down, made it quicker and more accessible at a cost of the glorious depth the original had.

Edit: Found this while googling for remakes of the original and while the guy is a bit OTT and nitpicky, for the most part I'm in agreement.
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread...ery-single-way

Edit 2: And while I originally felt very sorry for the guys making Xenonauts, when I found this new rendition of XCOM was coming out, now I am thinking "thank god for Xenonauts!" http://www.xenonauts.com/

Last edited by Justin Kace; 13th October 2012 at 10:31 PM.
Justin Kace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 11:25 PM   #116 (permalink)
Dressy

Sorry you feel that way. I played the original and Im having a ball. It will only get better once the DLC comes out too.
Old 13th October 2012, 11:51 PM   #117 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

No fault but my own. Higher the hopes the greater the potential for disappointment.
Old 14th October 2012, 09:05 AM   #118 (permalink)
Division Captain
Arma
Elite - Post: 4973 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Default My current team as I post this.

One Badass sniper:

When you come to a fork in the road, take it! - Yogi Bera
astrospud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 09:49 AM   #119 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1676

Amused

I loved the original and I love this version too. They are quite different but I think most of the changes work well.

I sit down to do a quick mission and I end up spending 3 hours playing it... its been a long time since a game has done that to me!

Also Justin dont lose heart, since the game is built using the Unreal engine it should be very moddable. So I foresee that someone will make a mod to make it more like the classic version we all know and love. The Nexus guys have even set up a site already: http://xcom.nexusmods.com/

And from the nexusmod it has a nice little hax to remove the startup videos:
* Edit C:\Users\<your_user>\Documents\My Games\XCOM - Enemy Unknown\XComGame\Config\XComEngine.ini
* Find StartupMovies
* Remove lines:
* StartupMovies=Logo_2KFiraxis
* StartupMovies=UE3TechLogo
* StartupMovies=LogoLegal_PCConsole

Last edited by DangerMouse; 14th October 2012 at 10:09 AM.
DangerMouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 12:34 PM   #120 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown
All Knowing - Post: 18238

Breezy

Did the first ambush tutorial and then the next two with zero casalties (though 3 wounded). Im an xcom fan since the original aliens were raiding wooden farm barns and grenades would set bales of hay on fire (remember that?). Only two missions in and i can vouch for the 'authenticity' of this game. It carries the spirit of xcom well. I hope i hold the same opinion as the campaign advances.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote