TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14th October 2012, 12:56 PM   #121 (permalink)
Division Captain
Star Trek Online
Deadly - Post: 1310

Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kace View Post
Loadout slots too limited.
Actions per turn too restricted.
Movement far too restricted.
Can't trade gear between soldiers or pick up stuff from your casualties during a mission.
Aliens can often shoot me right through walls (they don't destroy the wall, that would be fine, their shots just pass straight through).
Aliens know where you are even when you're out of their line of sight.
And more and more tears, but I wont go on with my whinging and whining.

To keep it in perspective, I am a huge fan of the original. I re-play it once every year or two. All playing this new version has done is make me want to go back and re-play the original.

Very sad XCOM fan here. My opinion is that they have taken the utter brilliance of the original and dumbed it down, made it quicker and more accessible at a cost of the glorious depth the original had.

No fault but my own. Higher the hopes the greater the potential for disappointment.
pay no mind to JK's rantings...he's obviously weary, overworked with school presently, and just plain cranky, to be sure.

in all seriousness, the original X-COM was one of my first true PC games (along with Master of Orion and Dark Forces), and i think Firaxis did a fine job capturing the "spirit" of it, without too many compromises. i'm having fun in the game (and now know to wait a little longer before raiding the first underground alien base )

as with many things, one's serenity is inversely proportional to our level of expectations and directly proportional with our level of acceptance.

Last edited by Mach 5; 14th October 2012 at 01:00 PM.
Mach 5 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 14th October 2012, 01:10 PM   #122 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 565

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kace View Post
Wow, such high hopes. And after getting my first good session in, I'm so very disappointed.

Too much of a fan of the original and this is just too far from that. It appears to be a good game in it's own right and I really hope I can bring myself to enjoy it, but... It's just too lacking, and there are just too many irritating factors.

Loadout slots too limited.
Actions per turn too restricted.
Movement far too restricted.
Can't trade gear between soldiers or pick up stuff from your casualties during a mission.
Aliens can often shoot me right through walls (they don't destroy the wall, that would be fine, their shots just pass straight through).
Aliens know where you are even when you're out of their line of sight.
And more and more tears, but I wont go on with my whinging and whining.
Sorry to hear that mate. I guess whilst I played the original quite a bit, and the odd sequel to some extent, it has been MANY years and my only recent knowledge of the original is the short try I gave it whilst waiting for this. I feel this game fits the feel of the original and certainly fits my need for a turn based strategy game for now.

I do hope you can learn to enjoy it for it's own right. It definitely has it's issues... My biggest issue is with the interface and no way to play animations out faster but there have been things I can only hope are bugs that make me wonder if I'll even try Classic Ironman now. I've had aliens spawn in on top of each other in areas I'd already cleared. I ended up loosing a Colonel to it. Odd pathing issues getting soldiers stuck, shooting through walls as you mentioned and more.

But still I am playing it almost non stop and loving it. In my current game (Normal Ironman) I've actually managed to get full satellite coverage at the cost of a few good troops but the sacrifice was worth it with cash starting to role in and my only limiting factor now being resources from the aliens and a lack of troops with any Will power.
hastarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 03:35 PM   #123 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach 5 View Post
as with many things, one's serenity is inversely proportional to our level of expectations and directly proportional with our level of acceptance.
Haha yeah that about sums it up. My sadness at the reduction in complexity comes from the fact that the epic moments that come about from that complexity are lost to this new game. Saving the day by snatching a nade from a deceased comrade and hurling it through the door that the alien was lurking in, or disembarking from the skyranger to complete disaster, those really memorable moments from the original that only Alzheimers will erase... :P

Anyway, great to hear there's a chance of modding.
Old 14th October 2012, 07:04 PM   #124 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 565

Tired

You still get memorable moments in this for sure. Though my memory isn't that great at the best of times.

My most recent memory is discovering the hard way a VIP hiding next to a burning car isn't going to survive the inevitable explosion.

A spreadsheet (spoilers) of data I've compiled in case anyone is interested:
XCOM: Enemy Unknown Research and Development
hastarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 08:16 PM   #125 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown
All Knowing - Post: 18189

Breezy

Ive just lost two squads of four, have no money, lost one of two satelites and one 'continent' pulled their funding with most others on alert 5. Learning curve much? YES - but enjoying it. My difficulty is not realising you can sell artifacts for much needed cash early on. And the aliens have some powers im not use to. AWESOME!

TOG Sponsor $5 a month

Last edited by Fox; 14th October 2012 at 08:53 PM.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 09:33 PM   #126 (permalink)
Dressy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Ive just lost two squads of four, have no money, lost one of two satelites and one 'continent' pulled their funding with most others on alert 5. Learning curve much? YES - but enjoying it. My difficulty is not realising you can sell artifacts for much needed cash early on. And the aliens have some powers im not use to. AWESOME!
Gee, Fox, what difficulty level you got it on? Ive gone back to normal, was having to hard a time on hard level. Yeah, I'm a noob.
Old 14th October 2012, 09:56 PM   #127 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
Arma III Little Blue Man
Guru - Post: 12452 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lonely

Almost completed it on Normal, and have lost about a dozen troops on the way, including a couple of colonels.
Old 14th October 2012, 10:32 PM   #128 (permalink)
Division Captain
Arma
Elite - Post: 4781 TOG Gold Level Supporter

lol France, Russia and Germany have removed themselves from the council, I've lost at least 2 captains and probably 14 jnr rank units, and just completed the hyperwave relay.
I think for mission success, advance slowly (within one move), put at least 2 on OW and "leapfrog" forward. Not always possible, esp against mutons, but I found sending a single fighter forward 2 moves to scout possible contact, I almost always lose.

Per ardua ad astrospud
astrospud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 12:14 AM   #129 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1446 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Cynical

Finished my first playthrough on normal with 19 hours played. Had a bit of a go with "Classic" difficulty today, HOLY FUDGE It's a lot harder than normal! If you're not in heavy cover you're as good as dead, Sectoids quite often survive being hit by an assault rifle and Thin Men can 1 shot my soldiers.
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 01:48 AM   #130 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown
All Knowing - Post: 18189

Breezy

I've tried classic ironman twice now and given up. It is officially impossible. I'm no noob to these games but the enemy is totally OP. If my rookies could actually hit during OW I'd have half a chance. Dropping back to normal to see how that goes.

TOG Sponsor $5 a month
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote