Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15th October 2012, 06:52 AM   #131 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 20

Amused

Tried Classic difficulty as well and noticed compared to normal, all alien weapons do double the damage and accuracy, while accuracy for the player seems to be halved. Trying to beat it once on easy (ya I know) just to get the feeling of how the enemy progresses with units since that is a fixed time table with modifiers due to how you progress with the 'story'.
Kalebon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15th October 2012, 07:05 AM   #132 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3785

Buzzed

I'm playing through on normal, learning as I go. Never played the original unfortunately

I now have a Sniper who's a Colonel, and man, he is worth his weight in gold! Kitted him out with a Plasma Sniper Rifle and he kicks arse, now I just need to keep him safe.

I lost Europe way back, but now have satellite coverage on everything else.

Dare I say I'm finding it quite easy so far on normal? I know classic will be a shock.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish
Getafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 07:21 AM   #133 (permalink)
Dressy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalebon View Post
Tried Classic difficulty as well and noticed compared to normal, all alien weapons do double the damage and accuracy, while accuracy for the player seems to be halved. Trying to beat it once on easy (ya I know) just to get the feeling of how the enemy progresses with units since that is a fixed time table with modifiers due to how you progress with the 'story'.
There is a huge difference between normal and difficult level. Normal is way too easy for me, whilst difficult is playable, but I'm losing fast. I mean I've had my guys up on a 3 story roof protected by brick railing and they just get one shotted by the aliens below (whilst I miss of course).

Out of curiosity, has anyone successfully completed a bomb mission on difficult? If you have, I salute you.

What's everyone's special tip to play the game? Mine is satilites, satilites, satilites
Old 15th October 2012, 10:19 AM   #134 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown
All Knowing - Post: 18233

Breezy

I did a bomb mission in ironman classic. It was early campaign so the sectoids were easy. Lost two men from memory.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 11:30 AM   #135 (permalink)
XB1 Leader
Destiny
Dangerous - Post: 781

Tired

I've yet to try Classic. Sounds like it should be a good challenge. Normal has been relatively easy on my 2nd playthrough (Game 8 though so I did restart it a few times as I learnt the ropes) apart from the glitches/bugs (mainly Floaters appearing out of the ground under/near my troops) getting troops killed.

My tip. You get the continent bonus for whichever continent you start in automatically. So, if you can, save coverage of it until last. In my current game I started in Asia and put my first satellite up in the US and went from there. But yes getting full coverage is my #1 goal. Once you have that you can worry about everything else. To that end you need to concentrate on Engineers first.
Old 15th October 2012, 08:47 PM   #136 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
ArcheAge
Elite - Post: 4997

Cool

I am on my 3rd game now.

1st game I never realised you needed to build satellite control buildings or power stations
2nd game I never knew what the foundry was until it was too late. (try taking on 10 Mutons and 5 Beserkers with laser weapons.)
3rd game I just lost India and still have 0 cash. But i have Satellites up in the US, China, Argentina and UK. Just before work this morning I shot down a terror (I am assuming) ship and will see what I can do there. Due to my cash shortage I cannot afford to build the Laser Weapons or armor so fingers crossed the start weapons will work.

Thanks Zhul

"Just give me the coffee and no one gets hurt."
Monde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 08:50 PM   #137 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
Arma III Little Blue Man
Guru - Post: 12630 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lonely

My tips:
* Start in Africa (for the money)
* Get Satellites and intercepters up in the North America and South America as soon as possible for the bonuses these give you
* Get the unlocks for additional soldiers from Officer Training (in the Barracks) as soon as you can - you'll need slots 5 & 6...
* Focus on Engineering, and make sure you sell everything that is worthless on the Grey Market. DON'T sell corpses even after they have been researched as these are often needed later in the game for a number of purposes
* Skip laser research until there is nothing else to study - go straight for Plasma
* The Light Plasma Rifle gives +10 to accuracy; being able to hit the target is better than missing with a bigger gun...
Old 15th October 2012, 09:26 PM   #138 (permalink)
Dressy

Rep and general all round admiration for anyone who unlocks the 'Lone Wolf' Achievement ;-0

I wonder which class would be better at doing the above? I reckon a Col. Support soldier, with full medic options and best armour and weapons might be a good option
Old 15th October 2012, 09:54 PM   #139 (permalink)
XB1 Leader
Destiny
Dangerous - Post: 781

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperSmurf View Post
My tips:
* Start in Africa (for the money)
I started with Asia personally. You get the full benefit immediately and it saves on the cost of the facilities you'll need early on. The 30% bonus from Africa is only 3 satellites to get and more worthwhile once you have US and Russia for the cash. That's the order I did on my current playthrough anyway. I'll have to see if it works on Classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
Rep and general all round admiration for anyone who unlocks the 'Lone Wolf' Achievement ;-0

I wonder which class would be better at doing the above? I reckon a Col. Support soldier, with full medic options and best armour and weapons might be a good option
I wouldn't try it without a full Psi soldier and knowing what I was going up against. Ideally a small scout that I'd taken down with a Fusion Cannon.
Old 15th October 2012, 10:00 PM   #140 (permalink)
Dressy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hastarin View Post
I started with Asia personally. You get the full benefit immediately and it saves on the cost of the facilities you'll need early on. The 30% bonus from Africa is only 3 satellites to get and more worthwhile once you have US and Russia for the cash. That's the order I did on my current playthrough anyway. I'll have to see if it works on Classic.

I wouldn't try it without a full Psi soldier and knowing what I was going up against. Ideally a small scout that I'd taken down with a Fusion Cannon.
I quite like South America as a starting point. Instant interrogation and autopsies is quite neat and a real time saver.