Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15th October 2012, 10:02 PM   #141 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
ArcheAge
Lethal - Post: 5006

Cool

Yeah I always start in Europe and the cash is next to nothing. I am always on 5 credits.

Thanks Zhul

"Just give me the coffee and no one gets hurt."
Monde is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15th October 2012, 10:53 PM   #142 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 945

Devilish

Didn't play the original, but really loving this game. Its so friggin addictive.

Ranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 10:58 PM   #143 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
ArcheAge

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanfalcon View Post
Didn't play the original, but really loving this game. Its so friggin addictive.
Then don't play the original.......I repeat DO NOT play the original.

The one thing I find missing (maybe it is because I have not finished the game yet) is the sandbox mode.

I would love to play without the cut scenes and the storyline. Just me vs aliens......well I would also like to play the aliens in the full game but that is a story for a different thread.

Thanks Zhul

Old 15th October 2012, 10:59 PM   #144 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
Arma III Little Blue Man
Guru - Post: 12635 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by hastarin View Post
I wouldn't try it without a full Psi soldier and knowing what I was going up against. Ideally a small scout that I'd taken down with a Fusion Cannon.
By that late in the game you'll be facing Sectopods, Elite Mutons and Ethereals. I don't like your chances... but best of luck anyway.

I think an early mission with an Assault carrying a medkit would have a decent chance. Run & Gun for the win.
Old 16th October 2012, 12:39 AM   #145 (permalink)
Destiny
Dangerous - Post: 814

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperSmurf View Post
By that late in the game you'll be facing Sectopods, Elite Mutons and Ethereals. I don't like your chances... but best of luck anyway.

I think an early mission with an Assault carrying a medkit would have a decent chance. Run & Gun for the win.
You'd only get one heal for 4 HP. I think you'd be better off with a grenade. If it was early enough to only be facing Sectoids and you used Run & Gun to hit the correct one when mind merged it could work quite well.

But I still think I could do it late game. A small scout would not have a Sectopod on it. If you were sure it didn't have Cyberdiscs, and they generally don't, you'd be set to MC one of whatever you encounter at range. The aliens generally target whatever you MC which takes 1 to 2 aliens out of the equation. Add the fact you can kill many things with 100% hit chance with Mindflay or at least destroy their aim, and you're off to a good start.

If the soldier happens to be a Heavy with Dual Rockets (Blaster Launcher) and Dual Grenades I personally think the 11 aliens on the small scout would be mince meat.

Of course an Assault class with the Alloy Cannon setup for Criticals also makes short work of anything s/he comes across so that might work too.

And all that said I haven't played Classic yet so it might be a different game altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
I quite like South America as a starting point. Instant interrogation and autopsies is quite neat and a real time saver.
No offence meant, but South America is the absolute WORST starting position. It only takes 2 satellites to get that bonus. The least of any of them. And the cash is the worst.

You need Engineers to start more than Scientists so you can get Satellites cheaper, and Satellite Uplinks, Power, etc built to get coverage ASAP.

Here is my last monthly report before finishing my Normal Ironman game to give you an idea of what you get from where.

BTW A full Psi squad kicks some serious butt!

Old 16th October 2012, 12:50 AM   #146 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
ArcheAge

Cool

Dont we need a section under Strategy for XCom?

I mean there is a Multiplayer component to the game.

Thanks Zhul

Old 16th October 2012, 01:02 AM   #147 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown
All Knowing - Post: 18239

Breezy

Just took down my first Cyberdisc like a hollywood movie.

5 majors and colonels advancing in a line with a squady (for experience). Cyberdisc comes from nowhere - 13 health points. WTF! 5 floaters on the left flank tie up my heavy fire for 3 rounds letting the cyberdisc take out the squadie on the right flank. I got 5 of my best veterans, which im rather fond of (normal ironman mode) and im caught in half cover against a death machine.

RETREAT!

All 5units dash backwards to full cover and hunker down (such an american term). These guys are good on overwatch so they just wait. And wait. And wait. My assaulter probes the right flank and spots disc doing a flank move too late. My fav assaulter is caught in the open. Actually, the whole squad has the right flank exposed!

Three units dash (again) like the petrified men they are for hard cover. My support runs back for half cover and drops smoke on the stranded assaulter. And prays. The disc can't see my units so tosses a random grendade into the smoke and takes 5 health off the assaulter and support. Survivable for veterans. Those two bleeding and shellshocked hero's dive behind trees like there is no tomorrow while the other three reload and set overwatch. The disc hovers through the smoke menacingly but my two heavies and critical hit sharp shooter was ready. Two reaction shots followed up with concentrated fire from five units saw that machine go down like a sack of spuds. Pure over the top agression - and it only just saved the day.

My three-shot medic patched everyone up in no time. Feeling really bad ass by this stage, the five of them kicked down the front door of the UFO and avenged the squadies life with a vengence.

Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 01:44 AM   #148 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1269

Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hastarin View Post
Asia gives you 8 Engineers??!! Well, I guess that's why all your tech support calls get routed to India, that's where all the engineers are!
Old 16th October 2012, 03:18 AM   #149 (permalink)
Destiny
Dangerous - Post: 814

Tired

Well I just restarted Classic Ironman 3 times. I do alright up until the first Council mission. I get impatient and Classic seems to mean the chance of you making a bad move and living through it is about 5%

I'll try again tomorrow but it's definitely a different game. Sticking to full cover, and flanking the aliens becomes essential. It's great to have the replayability but I'd kill for a way to skip the reveal animations and to speed up animations in general.
Old 16th October 2012, 03:37 AM   #150 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6657

Grumpy