Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17th October 2012, 02:34 PM   #161 (permalink)
Dressy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hastarin View Post
I will say the panic thing is a bit annoying but I seem to recall it was like that in the original too. It will make that extra Will purchase from Officer Training School a must buy for sure!
OMG! the panic thing is such chaos. I love it when they panic and they shoot an alien dead whilst out of their minds, but couldnt do it for the previous two turns! I've also had a triangle of three soldiers all shooting each other because they were panicing. Despite the serious of the situation, I was laughing at them in spite of myself (reminded me of my kids, 'he hit me first Dad').

Old 17th October 2012, 03:12 PM   #162 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

Quote:
I keep restarting my Ironman games, probably because I'm a bit too OCD rather than because I am guaranteed a failure.
Bite the bullet man. I may only have played three hours, but I wasn't going to play an XCOM game on anything but Classic Ironman. At least that was one thing they DID get right! If you come out of a mission with half your squad you consider it a good mission!
Old 17th October 2012, 03:23 PM   #163 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Craft Leader
Elder Scrolls Online
Deadly - Post: 2422

Dead

Quote:
Tell me about it!

I keep restarting my Ironman games, probably because I'm a bit too OCD rather than because I am guaranteed a failure. One I forgot to deploy a satellite before months end, another I forgot to have active research, others I just didn't like the fact they had one Steam Vent in the lower right corner of the base (at least that was a short one).

The worst was wiping an entire squad on a Terror mission which for some reason I couldn't see the abort area on the map even when I tried to get the last two soldiers out.

My #1 problem is getting bored/frustrated and moving (dashing) someone in and triggering more aliens than I can handle at once. Other than that it's an all round challenge and am I'm loving it. I just need to keep my desire to rush the soldiers to their deaths.

I will say the panic thing is a bit annoying but I seem to recall it was like that in the original too. It will make that extra Will purchase from Officer Training School a must buy for sure!
Im about 2 months into my CI game.

Its brutal but oh so much fun. I love a good hard game. 7 restarts so far - 2 loses and 5 "no chance from here on in" failures.

I generally run the following squad (only take 5 or 6 depending on mission):
Squadsight Sniper "Shadow" - DGG, and ITZ. Get him high and dry and let him shoot everyone.
Assault "Scout/Tank" - defensive bonus and flush. This guy scouts primarily. Assault rifle instead of shotty, with +HP items. Most effective in room sweeping missions.
Support Heavy "Duke" - Suppresion and holo-targeting and grenadier. Equip grenades and dont expect to shoot anything regularly - just make it easier for everyone else.
Heavy Ordanace "Rambo" - Rockets and grenades x2 .... blow stuff up .... simple.
Killer Assault "Honey Badger" - Shotgun and all crit chance+damage bonus. Titan armor then ghost when available. Last to move, everymove is a kill.
Scout Medic :"Angel" - simple enough. Speed and medic skills.
Support Sentinal "All Day"- Mid range fighter. Equip scope and Arcthrower for captures. Take all the overwatch bonuses. Skeleton armor is key here to reach good overwatch positions and get there quick.
Scout Sniper "Wolf" - Alternative to Assault scout. Can move and shoot, takes gunslinger and reveal grenade. Most effective is open field roles as he can do both long to short range. Ghost armor and skeleton armor is great.

Ive been starting in Europ to get my 2x2 Workshop bonus as quick as possible. Asia then USA is next, while keeping the big money types happy. A good tip is to keep a few satilites in reserve until the day before the council meeting and using them on any 5 Panic nations to keep them in the council.
Old 17th October 2012, 04:00 PM   #164 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12265

Loving it. Came up against my first (dunno what it's called, but it's like a Mutor but with razor claws??) bad boy with uuber health last night. Of course he didn't spawn alone, and I'd just cleared out three mutors (if that's what they're called)... thought I was gone for sure, but I managed to soften him up with accurate sniping (intimidated) and overwatch fire. Led him into a cone of overlapping fields, and he went down without getting within striking range

Don't think I'll be so lucky next time!

I yell at my Sniper Colonel every time he misses a sitter, but I praise him like a messiah when he pulls a running overwatch or "squad sighted" shot from halfway across the map
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2012, 06:30 PM   #165 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
Arma III Little Blue Man
Guru - Post: 12629 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lonely

If anyone is interested in multi-player I have started a thread here: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer
Old 17th October 2012, 06:49 PM   #166 (permalink)
XB1 Leader
Destiny
Dangerous - Post: 781

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kace View Post
Bite the bullet man. I may only have played three hours, but I wasn't going to play an XCOM game on anything but Classic Ironman. At least that was one thing they DID get right! If you come out of a mission with half your squad you consider it a good mission!
The problem I have with it is the amount of time it takes to play a game, to success or failure, whilst I'm still learning. I considered just playing a normal Classic game but have compromised and I've been "cheating" by backing up my save every now and again.

I will eventually finish a Classic Ironman without cheating but for now I'm not sure I want to dedicate the time when I have Borderlands 2 DLC to check out and Dishonored waiting for me to play too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Talon View Post
Im about 2 months into my CI game.

Its brutal but oh so much fun. I love a good hard game. 7 restarts so far - 2 loses and 5 "no chance from here on in" failures.

Ive been starting in Europ to get my 2x2 Workshop bonus as quick as possible. Asia then USA is next, while keeping the big money types happy. A good tip is to keep a few satilites in reserve until the day before the council meeting and using them on any 5 Panic nations to keep them in the council.
I've been starting in Asia so I can get up to a squad of 6 ASAP. The current playthrough I'm trying to save loosing any nations with satellites but I'm not sure that's going to work too well since the cash isn't coming in fast enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre8 View Post
Loving it. Came up against my first (dunno what it's called, but it's like a Mutor but with razor claws??) bad boy with uuber health last night.
Mutons are the green guys, and the Berserker is the red guy with claws you're talking about. He's damn scary for sure.
Old 17th October 2012, 07:27 PM   #167 (permalink)
Dressy

The Berserker is fun. If you have set your squadies up right, you can kite him all over the battlefield to he dies
Old 17th October 2012, 09:12 PM   #168 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown
All Knowing - Post: 18229

Breezy

Normal is too easy. Ill have to go back to CI mode with my new skills. The strategic side is crucial in CI mode and an early slip up means doom, as already noted here.
Old 18th October 2012, 01:33 AM   #169 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Elder Scrolls Online
Elite - Post: 3510

Relaxed

I completed it fairly quickly on normal, but classic is quite a bit of a step up in difficulty, I've just managed to get my hyperwave relay online but my regular interceptors arent up to the task of actually shooting down an overseer yet, need to upgrade to firestorms.

On the plus side, I now have a pretty strong stable of soldiers to draw from and have full sets of titan armour and plasma weapons, so ground missions are e4asy enough now as long as I don't get too impatient and move too far forward too quickly and i've only lost Canada, the US and Japan. My inability to shoot down UFOs tho is starting to really cripple me, really wish I hadn't sold so many UFO power supplies and flight computers early game now...still, I needed the cash then more.

I have to say tho, I have reloaded a LOT of times if a mission goes wahoonie-shaped and I do NOT look forward to moving on to classic Ironman, not at all...
Rourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 01:39 AM   #170 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
ArcheAge
Elite - Post: 4982

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
The Berserker is fun. If you have set your squadies up right, you can kite him all over the battlefield to he dies
The problem is when you have 4 of them bearing down on you and you only have laser weapons.

Thanks Zhul

"Just give me the coffee and no one gets hurt."
Monde is offline   Reply With Quote