Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18th October 2012, 01:59 AM   #171 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 701

Tired

I've had quite a bit of Berserker fun tonight. It's kind of like Ping Pong with a big red ball. I also had another mission where I lured him in range of the squaddie with the Arc Thrower and managed to stun one.

I also changed by mind about CI. I decided to keep playing one of my original attempts without doing backups. I still hold the US, Europe and half of Asia (which means I lost the continent bonus). I've just hit September and my first Sectopod. Lost my Sniper to him and he was my 2nd Sniper after I lost my Major due to a stupid move triggering Heavy Floaters when I shouldn't have.

I have managed to get a Demon with Laser Cannons in each of the 3 remaining continents and have just got to the point where everyone has Plasma weapons and Titan armor. My sniper even has Archangel Armor with Advanced Flight researched and my only Colonel is an Assault that's just received an Alloy Cannon to play with.

So I'm not doing too badly, but I haven't assaulted the Alien Base yet. I'm trying to save that for when I NEED to in order to reduce panic.

I'm still a bit dubious about some of the "spawns" where aliens just appear out of thin air, sometimes in waves, but I guess it just adds to the challenge. I've had them appear right next to one of my soldiers though so not sure if that's a stupid game mechanic or a bug.

I'm still yet to try a SHIV but built an Alloy one and researched it up so might have to try and remember to take it on a mission at some stage.

Old 18th October 2012, 04:08 AM   #172 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3244

Cheerful

Hello fellow Toggers. I'm looking to pick up this game. I have a few questions (I haven't read through all 18 pages, I'm sorry) I was hoping you could answer for me please:

Q - I know that the game can be purchased via STEAM, I plan on getting a boxed copy, does the game require STEAM to validate? I hate games that require a constant internet connection, I'm hoping that this game does NOT require a persistent internet connection.

Q - How is the PC version? I have to assume that it is a native PC game, and not a console port, but these days you can never tell.

Q - I'm assuming that it is a smarter Starcraft 2? I'm sure you're all cringing, but I've read a view reviews and watched a couple, is it similar to S2? But different enough due to added depth, etc?

That is all for now, thank you!

*************EDIT - well, I bought it, lol, I want something to play this weekend. I also bought the Brady Games Guide, which I know I will regret since they haven't made a good gaming guide in over 10 years. But I like reading about the game when I'm not playing it. Sooooo - expect more questions.

Last edited by Trimethicon; 18th October 2012 at 04:28 AM.
Trimethicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 04:47 AM   #173 (permalink)

Cheerful

Question - I got the Special Edition, what is in the Special Edition that makes it special?

Old 18th October 2012, 08:20 AM   #174 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
Arma III Little Blue Man
Guru - Post: 12606 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimethicon View Post
Q - I know that the game can be purchased via STEAM, I plan on getting a boxed copy, does the game require STEAM to validate? I hate games that require a constant internet connection, I'm hoping that this game does NOT require a persistent internet connection.
Steam required for validation, not sure if it is persistent after that. I don't think so.

Quote:
Q - How is the PC version? I have to assume that it is a native PC game, and not a console port, but these days you can never tell.
Interface has console-like elements, but generally okay. Given it's turn-based there is no rush to find the correct button/command.

Quote:
Q - I'm assuming that it is a smarter Starcraft 2? I'm sure you're all cringing, but I've read a view reviews and watched a couple, is it similar to S2? But different enough due to added depth, etc?
Nothing like Starcraft 2. This is squad-oriented turn-based strategy, with an overarching tech and base management component. To be clear - it's not RTS - the combat is all turn-based.

Quote:
Question - I got the Special Edition, what is in the Special Edition that makes it special?
You get access to some customisation options on your soldiers, including an exclusive hair-style adapted from the original game. Nothing that changes the game itself.
Old 18th October 2012, 08:48 AM   #175 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 838

Cool

Found normal level a bit to easy so swithched to classic using the "Warspace Extension" from the XCOM nexus link posted earlier. Made it through the first mission with one guy seriously wounded and he is out of action for 44 days!

Has a comical situation last night of a run'n'gun assaulter charging up to a desk with a sectoid on the other side and missing a point-blank shotgun shot, then hiding while the sectoid missed it's shot and then my assault guy missed again! On the animation the muzzle of the shotgun was just about touching the sectoids little melon-head.

My sniper eventualy took out the alien.

A killing machine cunningly disguised as an idiot.

----------------------------------------------
"It's OK, BattlePope is the natural nemesis of the Littlebird." - Rebroken
Battle Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 09:58 AM   #176 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Craft Leader
Elder Scrolls Online
Deadly - Post: 2393

Dead

Quote:
Hello fellow Toggers. I'm looking to pick up this game. I have a few questions (I haven't read through all 18 pages, I'm sorry) I was hoping you could answer for me please:

That is all for now, thank you!

*************EDIT - well, I bought it, lol, I want something to play this weekend. I also bought the Brady Games Guide, which I know I will regret since they haven't made a good gaming guide in over 10 years. But I like reading about the game when I'm not playing it. Sooooo - expect more questions.
Ahhh... dont use a guide. Use the first playthourgh to enjoy the game. Normal mode is quite easy and forgiving. The best way Im finding to play is Classic Ironman. Its really unforgiving so you actually have to think about what you do.

Special edition gets some art books, CDs, the usual fluff and a unique skin for you to customise the look of your squad to 'classic Xcom', apparently its a skin from the old version. I dont have the spec edition so someone may have a better answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monde View Post
The problem is when you have 4 of them bearing down on you and you only have laser weapons.
2 squadsight "in the zone" snipers + 2 heavy shredder rocketeers = dead zerkers.

The more I play Ironman, the more important my Squadsight snipers become. Get 'em high and let 'em shine.
Old 18th October 2012, 10:20 AM   #177 (permalink)

Cheerful

Thank you all!
Old 18th October 2012, 01:21 PM   #178 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 701

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by hastarin View Post
and have just got to the point where everyone has Plasma weapons and Titan armor. My sniper even has Archangel Armor with Advanced Flight researched and my only Colonel is an Assault that's just received an Alloy Cannon to play with.

So I'm not doing too badly
Or so I thought. The next mission (mid September) I manage to trigger Muton Elites whilst trying to position for Heavy Floaters and then failed to have my Sniper in position because I forgot he didn't have squad sight yet.

End result is that Assault Colonel is dead along with a Heavy and a Sniper Squaddie. On the bright side I now have a Support Colonel that's in the hospital for 4 days but Squaddies even with SCOPEs have a hard time hitting Mutton Elites with their 30% defense so I have a horrible feeling this may be the begging of the end for this playthrough. Unless I can level and protect a core squad fast the Sectoid Commanders, when they appear, will make a mess of things with everyone having such low willpower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Talon View Post
The more I play Ironman, the more important my Squadsight snipers become. Get 'em high and let 'em shine.
I wish I had one still. But I'll agree, and I need to pay more attention to protecting my veterans and sending Squaddies in as fodder.
Old 18th October 2012, 06:44 PM   #179 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown
All Knowing - Post: 18205

Breezy

Once validated you can play in offline mode. Actually did this myself a few days ago.

TOG Sponsor $5 a month
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 07:43 PM   #180 (permalink)
Dressy

Archangel armour, recommendation?