TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18th October 2012, 08:07 PM   #181 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 572

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
Archangel armour, recommendation?
I use it for my squad sight Sniper. He often just takes to the air where he starts and shoots from there for a few turns.

I haven't thought of trying it for others. It doesn't grant the high ground bonus but it does give the flying unit (20 defense) bonus when in use and makes it possible to get to places I'm not sure a grapple would get you. It's Heavy armor too, though I'm not sure if it grants the fire/poison immunities of the Titan.

I keep forgetting to use SHIVs. I used an Alloy one for the first time today until it was destroyed and it's GREAT. It can move a long way (might be similar to a Sprint spec Support I think) and since it doesn't have exp to loose, and you can just build another, it's a great scout.

Once you have suppression it can even suppress at least one of what it spots whilst the squad gets in position. With 75+10 aim it's better than a raw Squaddie in terms of being able to hit something too and essentially sports a Heavy weapon. Plus it can be used to create cover for your more important human soldiers.

I'm actually annoyed I forgot to take one on the mission I just saved at.

I just finished a (story) mission with two Sectopods encountered at once and only lost 1 Squaddie! Partly thanks to luck but mainly an Assault Colonel with an Alloy Cannon that took out one of the two almost single handed.

I'm now working on getting some Psi capable troops so with some patience, and luck, I may just finish my first Classic Ironman game tomorrow.
hastarin is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 18th October 2012, 08:23 PM   #182 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Craft Leader
Elder Scrolls Online
Deadly - Post: 2285

Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
Archangel armour, recommendation?
What has hastarin said basically. Squad sight sniper gets the best use out of it. I try to get my supports in skeleton then ghost and my heavy/assault in Titan then ghost. But damn they are expensive.

Got 2 psi soldiers out of the first 3 I sent in (one was my col support and the other a major support). Both died next mission when I encountered heavy floaters. Such a letdown.
Old 18th October 2012, 09:12 PM   #183 (permalink)

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Talon View Post
I try to get my supports in skeleton then ghost and my heavy/assault in Titan then ghost. But damn they are expensive.
I'm putting everyone in Titan except the squad sight sniper. I'm curious how you are using the Skeleton/Ghost armor? To me there are far too few grapple locations with cover, and a soldier out of cover in Classic is a dead soldier, to be worth using them. I would guess you get some added mobility? I just find the extra 4HP and fire/poison immunity of more use personally.

I tried Ghost on my Normal Ironman playthrough but just didn't find any need for it. I mean I rarely "Hunker Down" which is the only time I would imagine I'd use the cloak instead? But perhaps I'm missing a tactic with it?

The only use I can think is to equip my Support unit (that has Poison immunity from a Medkit) with it so they can close for a stun with the Arc Thrower (Medkit + Arc Thrower is standard on my Support medic).

IMHO you really want to have your Assault soldiers in Heavy Armor (Titan/Archangel) for the bonus HP they get from Extra Conditioning when they hit Major. Every HP is one more that might be the difference between a soldier going home on a stretcher instead of a body bag.
Old 19th October 2012, 01:25 AM   #184 (permalink)

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by hastarin View Post
It doesn't grant the high ground bonus but it does give the flying unit (20 defense) bonus when in use and makes it possible to get to places I'm not sure a grapple would get you. It's Heavy armor too, though I'm not sure if it grants the fire/poison immunities of the Titan.
It turns out it DOES grant a height bonus (if you're higher than the enemy) and Damn Good Ground is triggered!

Beware it is buggy. I just had a Terror mission where the last third of it was spent with my guy stuck in a roof.

SHIVs are rather buggy too. I've had an Alloy SHIV I can't deploy and a Hover Shiv without flight mode or weapons. Hopefully at least the SHIVs get fixed in a patch as it's a common problem judging by the forums.

Last edited by hastarin; 19th October 2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old 19th October 2012, 09:52 AM   #185 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Craft Leader
Elder Scrolls Online

Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hastarin View Post
I'm putting everyone in Titan except the squad sight sniper. I'm curious how you are using the Skeleton/Ghost armor? To me there are far too few grapple locations with cover, and a soldier out of cover in Classic is a dead soldier, to be worth using them. I would guess you get some added mobility? I just find the extra 4HP and fire/poison immunity of more use personally.

I tried Ghost on my Normal Ironman playthrough but just didn't find any need for it. I mean I rarely "Hunker Down" which is the only time I would imagine I'd use the cloak instead? But perhaps I'm missing a tactic with it?

The only use I can think is to equip my Support unit (that has Poison immunity from a Medkit) with it so they can close for a stun with the Arc Thrower (Medkit + Arc Thrower is standard on my Support medic).

IMHO you really want to have your Assault soldiers in Heavy Armor (Titan/Archangel) for the bonus HP they get from Extra Conditioning when they hit Major. Every HP is one more that might be the difference between a soldier going home on a stretcher instead of a body bag.
When you ghost up and attack -> Its an instant crit. So its useful for sniper, assaults and supports, to get the correct position then shot something to death Try having a crit shotty assault in ghost -> cloak up -> run and gun past everyone to a flanking position or a spot well past the firefight to allow greater sweeping -> cue instant crit rapid fire

My assault team is titan for the HP bonus and chitin plating. Both have 21HP right now. My support duo (suppresion/smoke and medi) are in skeleon, both have arc throwers and either medi or scope/drugs. Heavy is in carapace for now but will jump to ghost. Reason being - I can run him close to a scetopod or cyberdisk cloaked (so no overwatch) and have 1 hit at close range for instant crit (+100% heat bonus). Sniper is archangel, for obvious reasons.
Old 19th October 2012, 10:29 AM   #186 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 485

Lurking

Currently I am equiping all my guys with Titan Armour. I find the immunity to fire and poison is great. Also the massive health boost is keeping my men alive when they take some big hits.

I like the idea of having an assault in ghost, but right now my assault is the guy in front taking most of the fire and dodging it all He is a beast.

I might have to do the ghost armour with my sniper though.

Do you guys use your arc throwers much? I have a tendency to just frag all the aliens I come across rather then risk getting that close to them and the arc thrower failing.
War Thunder - Spinnz
.. and then whatever i can get my hands on.

Spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 11:57 AM   #187 (permalink)

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Talon View Post
When you ghost up and attack -> Its an instant crit.
Ah I didn't realize it gives a crit! I can see the value in having a Heavy in the Ghost armor, though mine is now in Psi armor and I'm now at the point where my squad is mostly Major/Colonel so I'm just trying to decide how soon I tackle the final mission. I might try and get everyone to Colonel first I think so might have to at least try the Ghost armor in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinn View Post
Do you guys use your arc throwers much? I have a tendency to just frag all the aliens I come across rather then risk getting that close to them and the arc thrower failing.
No. I used it to get the storyline captures and get certain research (Plasma Pistol, Alien Grenades, Plasma Rifle) or weapons, but other than that I've found it's not worth the risk on Classic. In fact I've found I need weapon fragments at times so I've been better off with the destroyed weapons anyway.

I'm now at the point where I have nothing left to research anyway and with enough Scientists and a Laboratory I never really had to wait for research.

I guess if I find the time to play again at some stage, and I'm going for a better score, it might be handy to get the tech researched and useable sooner.
Old 19th October 2012, 01:21 PM   #188 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Craft Leader
Elder Scrolls Online

Dead

I have an Arc Thrower on my Medi Support and maybe a second on big ship missions or early in the game. I use them to capture mutons/the grey little guys (cant remember the name right now) and floaters for the plasma weapons (saves on alloys and fragments if you dont have to make them). Once you have all the plasma weapons you need then I wouldnt bring more than one.

I use grenades and rockets to soften up enemies, not to kill it. You need the fragments and allows.

I finished the tech tree without building a laboratory. My biggest limitor is Alloys...
Old 19th October 2012, 03:39 PM   #189 (permalink)

Tired

I finally finished my first CI game. The final mission was almost laughably easy. Not surprising given it's my 3rd playthrough and my memory was good enough to know about the big surprises. The final fight the aliens didn't even get a chance to have a turn.

The final team

The final toll (41 total)

And the final score

More screenshots on my Steam page:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/hastarin/home

Now time for Dishonored and Borderlands 2 (DLC and Mechromancer) before I try again to see how much I can improve that score, which incidentally was just marginally better than my first Normal Ironman game.

Thanks for the Ghost armor tip Blue_Talon. I ended up equipping one Sniper with Ghost and the other with Archangel. I can certainly see the value in Ghost armor for getting in position and scouting.

I love the fact I'm still learning new tactics with over 100hrs invested into the game! Bugs aside, Firaxis has done an amazing job with this game.
Old 19th October 2012, 06:09 PM   #190 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown
All Knowing - Post: 18189

Breezy

I need to cap a sectoid but im mid/late game and the missions dont spawn them any more.

TOG Sponsor $5 a month
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote