TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21st October 2012, 02:13 PM   #211 (permalink)
Division Vice Captain
MechWarrior Online
Elite - Post: 2653

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by hastarin View Post
Patience is the key. As soon as you decide you'll just dash ahead it tends to end badly. The only time you should dash is if you're trying to move up to the battle front and get into full cover. You also need to accept you're going to loose troops, and even need to sacrifice rookies to save your veterans at times. My CI game I lost 41 soldiers including two Colonels.
That is the best advice, patience is definitely the key! Never dash unless you know its safe to do so..

MWO: White Bear 84 | Minecraft/Rust: white_bear_84 | BF3/BF4 - Fired_up_Bear84 | ESO: WhiteBear84 |

white_bear_84 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 21st October 2012, 02:24 PM   #212 (permalink)
Dressy

Woot! After game crashes for the first week, I've finished normal Ironman. Two things I will note about the ending a) too easy b) I liked the ending. I was imagining a harder fight though.

Things which worked for me;

1. 2 lightening reflexes assault troops.
2. 2 snipers.
3. 1 heavy.
4. 1 support with 3 * medkits (not that I really had to use the medkits).

It helped they were all colonials except for the heavy who was a sgt.

The assaults always went first. The snipers than just go bam bam (took down 6 aliens with only both snipers in one turn (col rank).

Looking forward to the challenge of classic Ironman now.
Old 21st October 2012, 05:03 PM   #213 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1597

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by hastarin View Post
you should have your 1st satellite building so you can deploy it at least 4 days (it takes that long to deploy) before the end of the month. That way the 2nd month you'll have the extra income it's coverage provides.
Another thing I've only recently found out (and because I only misclicked) was that you can still build your satellites even if you dont have any available uplinks!

Fair enough they warn you, that you wont be able to deploy them, but when I went into the build screen with the warning and the red text I thought I couldnt even build/buy them...

Still loving it
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2012, 05:48 PM   #214 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 564

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Another thing I've only recently found out (and because I only misclicked) was that you can still build your satellites even if you dont have any available uplinks!
Yes a good point. It's 20 days to build them and 14/21 days to build an Uplink/Nexus so it's often good to have them built when your Uplink/Nexus is built rather than 20 days later. Assuming you can afford it of course!
hastarin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2012, 07:25 PM   #215 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown
All Knowing - Post: 18189

Breezy

Astro: use full or half cover (obviously); never dash, use over watch.

When you do engage, fire with your safest troops at the rear first. If they manage to take out all or most bad guys then your front line troops, whom maybe caught off-foot, will have time to fall back or run for cover. Whittling down the field with your rear-guard will provide more palatable options for your front line troops often facing death.

And after moving, use overwatch. Like, ALWAYS.

TOG Sponsor $5 a month
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 01:09 PM   #216 (permalink)
Division Captain
Arma
Elite - Post: 4781 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Great advice guys, but that's how I've been playing. Alway using OW, nearly never dashing and using all the cover I can. Somehow, those bastard aliens tend to shoot my guys even behind full cover, whilst my guys can't shoot the broad side of a spaceship. No matter what I do, I seem to always get 2 green troops panic at the first sign of pressure, rendering my defense almost useless.
It's starting to loose it's appeal when it seems like the game is cheating...

Per ardua ad astrospud
astrospud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 01:26 PM   #217 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1597

Amused

What difficulity level are you playing, Astro?

I started on Classic Ironman (since I played the original) and was killed really quick, so I went to normal and having a "blast"

With full cover your squad can still get hit, but I dont think they will get a crit hit on them. With panic you will get that a lot with rookies, once you have a decent team they "should" panic less
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 01:58 PM   #218 (permalink)
Division Vice Captain
MechWarrior Online
Elite - Post: 2653

Amused

Funny how you hear alot of reports of the game getting easier as you get further into it.. ..shouldnt it be the other way round?

I remember the same with the original though lol

MWO: White Bear 84 | Minecraft/Rust: white_bear_84 | BF3/BF4 - Fired_up_Bear84 | ESO: WhiteBear84 |

white_bear_84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 02:24 PM   #219 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12251

Yeah the game has definitely gotten a lot easier for me as it's gone on. I was struggling on each and every mission (but winning) requiring very careful and strategic choices before even going in, then the very slow tactic of creeping forward in maximum cover with full overwatch.

But now with Titan armour and Plasma Snipers with squad sight, I could almost rambo some encounters (almost) as a dual sniper squad pretty much act as scouts, and there's little that can take two direct (with criticals) hits from the camping snipers at the rear.

I tend to go in with two assault units with lightning reflexes, a heavy and a medic/support backed with the snipers. Send the heavy and medic forward into a known area and set to overwatch, set the snipers to overwatch and leapfrog the assaults in with run and gun. They'll often startle a mob of baddies, and before the mob can run to cover, they've been wiped out. Then leaves me time to either finish them with the assaults, or set them to overwatch. Rinse and repeat.

I've got to say, I must be the slowest player here - I've played it every day since launch, and still haven't finished it Only lost a few troops, mostly rookies, but take it very slowly. Looking forward to completing it, installing a mod or two and trying it on a harder level.
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 02:26 PM   #220 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12251

Just remembered - the reason I struggled so much early on was a lack of cash. But now that the squads are kitted out, I've often got over a grand in the account with not much more to buy/build. Until I capture that next baddie and start a new tech tree
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote