Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11th November 2012, 08:56 AM   #271 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown
All Knowing - Post: 18207

Breezy

Yeah, but units dont get a descent hitrate till they are sergeants. This means i cant win any missions.

Old 13th November 2012, 10:22 AM   #272 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 545

Chatty

Honestly, I can't wait to play this, its near the top of my list of games I actually want to play..Up there is also the newly released BLOPS2 and Im still crawling my way through Men Of War, so im loving all the stories you guys are posting keep it up
Old 13th November 2012, 10:30 PM   #273 (permalink)
Average - Post: 137

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Yeah, but units dont get a descent hitrate till they are sergeants. This means i cant win any missions.
you could try loading up with light plasma rifles, scopes, rockets and alien grenades and playing through really really slowly

I have about 4 well developed characters and I keep trying to blood new rookies but they keep dying. Annoyingly it is almost always my support and snipers that keep dying leaving me with large amounts of rookie assaults and heavies. I find myself picking missions just to get experienced soldiers.

I don't hold high hopes though... this is the furthest i've made it yet in classic ironman (only just assaulted the alien base) and I can hear ominous music in the background...
begbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2012, 10:41 PM   #274 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
Arma III Little Blue Man
Guru - Post: 12621 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lonely

Funny how experienced Support (medic) guys seem to be really hard to come by.
I run a team of six, without any Heavy class.
Two Snipers with squad sight
Two Assaults with arc throwers
Two Support with medic kits and alien grenades (deep pockets)

Once you have plasma weapons you no longer need the damage dealing ability of the Heavy. The second sniper is too useful.
Old 14th November 2012, 07:45 AM   #275 (permalink)
Dressy

I find the heavies capacity to fire two shots per turn Awsome. Plus the rocker launcher is very handy at times. That's just my style though.
Old 14th November 2012, 03:48 PM   #276 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12265

The only times I run without a Heavy is when they're in for Psi-testing

The double fire is, as you say Dressy, far too powerful to do without - and although I rarely use the rocket launcher, it can be a very powerful tactical tool in opening new doorways

The first time I came up agains the big boss mind controlling four-armed thingie, I blew a hole in the wall right behind him, softened him up with my support dudes, cleared the heavy mutons with my snipers and stormed in with my assault shock troopers and zapped the bugger! Rockets are not to be undervalued
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 07:19 PM   #277 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
Arma III Little Blue Man
Guru - Post: 12621 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
I find the heavies capacity to fire two shots per turn Awsome. Plus the rocker launcher is very handy at times. That's just my style though.
My snipers and support guys get free shots in a number of circumstances - the sniper is especially useful, as any enemy in open ground is a free shot. Combine this with the "flush" ability of the assault and you have a winning combo.
Old 15th November 2012, 08:11 AM   #278 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 785

Breezy

In other news, I am still at the penultimate stage of my first game (normal), just before the Templeship. I don't want to do the Templeship yet as I want to get my research achievements, but waiting for a battleship to appear (I had one appear, but had no Firestorms in the area, and it got away) is frustrating. On the plus side, I have something like 10-15 colonels, 6 of which are fully psi advanced.

This means missions are ridiculously easy, running around mind controlling the enemies.
Atua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 03:12 PM   #279 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1649

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atua View Post
This means missions are ridiculously easy, running around mind controlling the enemies.
But its fun isnt it!
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 03:50 PM   #280 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 785

Breezy

It is fun yes. But I'm going to get lazy and have a rude shock when Ironman Classic comes around
Atua is offline   Reply With Quote