Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29th May 2013, 04:34 PM   #41 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4314

This game has posts in so many spots on our forum. It just goes to show that it has the potential to change some of the preconceptions that have been formed.

Oh and yes I got the freelancer package. My best times in Eve were probing for sites and wormholes. Running in the deep dark with baddies everywhere. My hope is that they make exploration a good part of the game and a high fuel, medium cargo hold ship will be worth it.

Has anyone kept up on the multi-player types? I think that it starts you off on a single player game that is kind of themepark walk in that they have a linear story. Then once you complete that you can go to a private server that the admin will be able to run mods on, or you can go to a CSI server. Seems that in order to get that to work without exploits is that the CSI server will need to hold all your info.This way no client side monkey business could be brought in. It also seems that your private server character and your CSI server character would need to be different.

Am I even close to whats been released so far? I haven't read up on it for a few months and really should I guess.

Last edited by Ludy; 29th May 2013 at 04:37 PM.

Old 29th May 2013, 07:59 PM   #42 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 400

Ludy, as you say, I doubt you'll be able to move a character or ships back and forth between the official Star Citizen servers and private servers. You'll more likely have to create a separate character for each, and never shall the two meet. Anything else would be an exploit nightmare.

As for the single player/co-op themepark campaign (Squadron 42), I think of it as a separate game, with only a loose connection to the persistent world sandbox (Star Citizen). Your character will be able to leave the campaign and enter the persistent world, but your actions in the campaign won't influence the persistent world much, aside perhaps from earning you a little cash and determining which star system you start off in.

Last edited by Cromulent; 29th May 2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 29th May 2013, 11:00 PM   #43 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 380

Just watched the below interview with Cris Roberts and he mentioned that if the guild had a capital ship it would have to be manned 24/7 to prevent it from being hijacked. As a multi-national guild that may work in our favour.

Catching up with Chris Roberts, the original Star Citizen - Star Citizen

Last edited by DigitalFog; 29th May 2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 30th May 2013, 11:39 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFog View Post
Just watched the below interview with Cris Roberts and he mentioned that if the guild had a capital ship it would have to be manned 24/7 to prevent it from being hijacked. As a multi-national guild that may work in our favour.

Catching up with Chris Roberts, the original Star Citizen - Star Citizen
Yes but I am betting that you would have to spend hundreds of dollars to have the ship at release. Now once the game is out I hope that it wouldn't be a problem.
Old 30th May 2013, 03:47 PM   #45 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3041

Amused

Manned 24/7?

Sounds like a job. o_o

GMT+10:00 (Sydney) See my game projects.
Star Citizen: DRAKE Cutlass (Salvage/Pirate!),
Aegis Dynamics Retaliator (Bomber)

Last edited by Pinkeh; 30th May 2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 30th May 2013, 04:12 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkeh View Post
Manned 24/7?

Sounds like a job. o_o
I think it will work like a faction warfare or wardeck in Eve. PvP will be a huge part of game but they should have ways for groups to do PvE relatively safely.
Old 1st June 2013, 11:32 PM   #47 (permalink)
Average - Post: 128

Crappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludy View Post
Yes but I am betting that you would have to spend hundreds of dollars to have the ship at release. Now once the game is out I hope that it wouldn't be a problem.
I don't have a link, but I am certain Chris Roberts has said they aren't for sale. You will have to capture one to obtain it, and it will be persistent in the universe. If everyone leaves it someone else can just come along and fly off with it. I am thinking it will take a massive guild, or a multi-guild alliance to crew and maintain one of these.

As a side note, I want to buy a joystick and pedals, what game(s) should I get to obtain some dogfighting experience?
Old 2nd June 2013, 11:41 AM   #48 (permalink)
Division Captain
Arma
Elite - Post: 4939 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanH View Post
As a side note, I want to buy a joystick and pedals, what game(s) should I get to obtain some dogfighting experience?

EDIT: Re-read your post. Sorry stuffed up there.
Dogfight experience in Star citizen, by all accounts, will be a totally different kettle of fish. True Newtonian physics and added axes of thrust/manoeuvre mean that any terrestrial based combat sim will leave you wanting.

For fast paced stuff, with little in the way of physics, might I recommend something simple, like HAWX 2.
Alternatively, the is the fab "lite" sim Flaming Cliffs 3.
The down side is you need to own a copy of Lock on: Modern Air Combat (LOMAC)

On HOTAS, depends on how much you want to spend

PC Aviator Australia - The Flight Simulation Company

I have both the Thrustmaster Warthog and Saitek X-52 Pro(not listed here)
The Saitek has some slop in the joystick action (movement in the stick not translated to game), whereas the Warthog is tight, and has the highest resolution tracking on the market. Naturally, you pay for it though.

PC Flight Simulator Rudder Pedals - PC Aviator Australia

I have the Saitek Pro flight pedals, and while they have served me well for over 4 years, so much has been said on the quality of the Saitek Combat pedals. If I had the coin, I'd upgrade to the combat pedals.

Per ardua ad astrospud

Last edited by astrospud; 2nd June 2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 2nd June 2013, 08:08 PM   #49 (permalink)
Average - Post: 128

Crappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrospud View Post
EDIT: Re-read your post. Sorry stuffed up there.
Dogfight experience in Star citizen, by all accounts, will be a totally different kettle of fish. True Newtonian physics and added axes of thrust/manoeuvre mean that any terrestrial based combat sim will leave you wanting.

For fast paced stuff, with little in the way of physics, might I recommend something simple, like HAWX 2.
Alternatively, the is the fab "lite" sim Flaming Cliffs 3.
The down side is you need to own a copy of Lock on: Modern Air Combat (LOMAC)

On HOTAS, depends on how much you want to spend

PC Aviator Australia - The Flight Simulation Company

I have both the Thrustmaster Warthog and Saitek X-52 Pro(not listed here)
The Saitek has some slop in the joystick action (movement in the stick not translated to game), whereas the Warthog is tight, and has the highest resolution tracking on the market. Naturally, you pay for it though.

PC Flight Simulator Rudder Pedals - PC Aviator Australia

I have the Saitek Pro flight pedals, and while they have served me well for over 4 years, so much has been said on the quality of the Saitek Combat pedals. If I had the coin, I'd upgrade to the combat pedals.
Thanks astrospud, I should have mentioned I have ordered the Warthog and Combat rudder pedals, hopefully I receive them this week. (I ordered them immediately after posting that, have been umming and ahhing over it for a few weeks now)
I know the space combat will have more axis of movement, but I thought I would get 'something' to at least get some experience under my belt.
I have seen mention of the DCS stuff before so might look into that more.

Last edited by DeclanH; 2nd June 2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 3rd June 2013, 09:05 AM   #50 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 473 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Chatty

Reposted from another thread on TOG about Star Citizen....

As a tester, I am encouraged by RSI's commitment to Open Development. The Devs will be showing everything they are creating as they create it. They will be producing individual modules of the game, each to be tested before being joined into the online world. They are using a vblog to demonstrate ideas/feedback/creativity of the Devs and their fan base. They are trying to be as transparent as a game company can be in these modern times.

For instance, check out their official Vblog called "Wingman's Hanger" on YouTube. Start with episode 1 or you may get a bit lost...there are a bunch of in-jokes/situations discussed!

Episode 001 - Wingman's Hanger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hi9jNbNTRo

Robert Space Industries YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/Roberts.../videos?view=0

TQQdles™
Star Citizen: FriendlyFireTarget
Defiance: NA Server:
Dolnor EU Server: Noldor
GW2: Yak's Bend
- Dolnor Numbwit, Elondra, Festoon Turnbuckle
LOTRO: Gladden - Dolnor Numwit, Elondra Numbwit
SWTOR: Dolnor, Elondra, Noldor