Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22nd January 2013, 04:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Roq
Deadly - Post: 1060

Cool
Default Skyjacker: Starship Constructor

Hope noone minds a quick plug for this very deserving game I *need* to be funded on Kickstarter:

Skyjacker looks to be one of the most fully visualized & interesting space games to have appeared on Kickstarter, and I reckon they've been unlucky not to get funding so far. This latest Kickstarter has 4 days to run and is nominally for the space ship constructor. But note at the $25 level you get the *full* Skyjacker game as well as the constructor. Plus there is a playable demo of the game! The Kickstarter page is here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects//?ref=kicktraq

and this is their site:

Skyjacker | DIGITILUS

and the game site:

THE GAME | Skyjacker

Note also that Skyjacker is more of a space RPG than a space trading game in the mold of elite: You play a pirate. Really worth a punt, I think. One of those projects that seems to have slipped through the gaps on Kickstarter.

In der nacht sind alle katzen grau

Roq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23rd January 2013, 11:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7441

Yeehaw

I don't get it, why is the kickstarter for the ship constructor, why not just do the kickstarter for the actual game and show the ship construction as part of it?

Even stranger, is that while they call it a constructor, you can't actually construct your own ships. It's really more of a "pull apart 3d models we've made and see how we lego'd it all togther", like an interactive book of how stuff was made. There's no custom ship building or design, that's the $100,000 Starship Designer stretch goal, and none of this even touches on what possible gameplay features there would be in the actual Skylander game.

There just too many oddities about how they've set this up, which begs too many questions, and is probably why they're not getting much money, I certainly won't be throwing money at them to build... well, I'm not really sure what they're making or what my money would be going towards.

The lack of any clear focus does not fill me with confidence.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 05:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Roq
Deadly - Post: 1060

Cool

Hi Drac.

Yes, Digitilus (Eugene) are the first to admit that they've made a few blunders with kickstarter. It wasn't at all clear what you were getting in this Kickstarter. See the red message at the top of the home page, which I got them to edit yesterday. But just to summarise, you do get the *full* game at the $25 level and you get everything at $40, including all future SKYJACKER content.

The other thing to appreciate is this isn't just some indie game starting from scratch. They have been working on it already for several years and it's due for release in AUGUST this year. It looks like a AAA design with excellent graphics and gameplay, built on the Unity engine.

The other thing to notice is that they have an extensive track record designing graphics for other companies including other games, such as League Of Legends under the name "Abyss Lights studio". Have a look at this: Abyss Lights Studio showreel 2005-2009 - YouTube. They used this work to finance SKYJACKER development.

The best thing to do if you are still at all interested is to download their *working* DEMO. The game has excellent graphics and the destructible objects are the best I've seen in any game. Plus the weapon systems are really smooth and satisfying to use.

In der nacht sind alle katzen grau

Roq is offline   Reply With Quote