Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24th January 2013, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
All Knowing - Post: 16441

Cool
Default Endless Space

Anyone got this turned based game? Be interested in your opinions of it.

Looks a bit like CIV in space... which could be good

Reasonable reviews...
Endless Space - GameSpot.com
Endless Space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Endless Space / Products / Amplitude - Endless-Space

Old 24th January 2013, 10:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 59

Amused

Shallow compared to galactic civilizations 2 and sword of the stars and sadly worse then sword of the stars 2 which in its enhanced edition is quite a lot better. It's still a good game but its really basic for a 4X game.

They do improve it though, another lil expansion will come out soon and it is pretty but it's a very unforgiving game in the genre, screwing up the start pretty much equals game over.

:Right! Now that I'm not half asleep:

Imagine endless space is like the civilization revolution title in the 4X space genre, it's cut things down to be of ease compared to all it's counterparts. It has a sleek UI, it has super simplified tech trees, it has no ship builder (you can only change parts on a ship aka weapons, engines, etc but they make no visual difference) and it has a on the rails battle system.

The races are interesting, you have a race that will actually turn cannibal if they don't get more food and they will eat the remains of there enemies in combat. A blood worshiping warrior like bird race, jelly fish race, super smart bug race, etc, etc.

You still have the research X planet type to expand and colonies (which can slow down your advancement greatly depending on the luck of the planet rolls and where you start) but if you going straight up military conquest then this really doesn't play a huge part in your strategy because conquest is really easy victory.

Sadly you can't put orbital defense systems around planets which means if you don't station ships there they will be conquered (most times even if you station ships there they'll be conquered, if a AI is aggressive then they are packing the weaponry to back it up).

I got it for 15$ back a while ago so I really had nothing to complain about because I got like 50 hours out of the game which is good considering once you understand the game it just is way to easy to manipulate even with smart AI. Some of the AI will trick you (it is clever but it doesn't learn or adapt), never trust your neighbours unless they are the jelly fish people or giant robot teraforming race, all the others unless you act like there resource monkeys will eventually turn on ya.

I had the bird people in other game completely take up one side of the map, they came with peace but on the other side of the line they were wiping the floor with three other AI races and turn on me in about turn 500 (you will go through a lot of turns, its a very long time spending).

Other then it's ease of use, cutdown development, simplified ship system and a battle system which is a waste of time (I just automate this cause its boring), the game is pretty good but the things above make it to me feel "shallow".

Last edited by FiraB; 25th January 2013 at 09:15 AM.
FiraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
All Knowing - Post: 16441

Cool

Thanks for that detailed assessment, Fira8 - it's appreciated.

I'm looking for something deep and involving that will give me many hours entertainment.
I think I'll pass this one for now. I'm currently flitting between so many games and I can't find one I really want to settle on. Think I might hold out for the StarCraft expansion.
Old 25th January 2013, 01:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 59

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog View Post
Thanks for that detailed assessment, Fira8 - it's appreciated.

I'm looking for something deep and involving that will give me many hours entertainment.
I think I'll pass this one for now. I'm currently flitting between so many games and I can't find one I really want to settle on. Think I might hold out for the StarCraft expansion.
I've been game hopping a lot since FFXIV went down. I had about 50 games on backlog and I'm down to 12 of them already (most of which are just repurchases of old games like BG:EE).

The only games I play with ludicrous depth would be space sims, if you have stupid amounts of time on your hands EvE Online or X3 Games are fantastic timesinks in the genre with very good depth.

I always have something as a fall back, minecraft, Terraria, something where I build things, survive, etc. But I know the feeling of passing the time till the thing you want to play comes along, most gamers do
FiraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 4

I love games that related in spaceships and I think on this type of game, you can customize and upgrade your own ship to battle with other spaceships and I think it is also an strategy type of games which make it more very interesting.