Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13th February 2013, 03:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5914

Yeehaw
Default Free2Race Racing Experience. SWEET!

RACE ROOM RACING EXPERIENCE!

RaceRoom Racing Experience
This site has a sweet video as well... better then the youtube video.

Free download on Steam. Looks... BADASS!
Steam link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/211500/
It is community driven so we could create a TOG race team. We can host other teams, etc.
I have not downloaded nor actually tried this elsewhere so I could be wrong on all levels though what I have read and of the various youtue and Steam videos out there, man! Looks good!

Thoughts from any car simulation racers out there? This brings me back to the days of Nascar team racing.

Last edited by Sytes; 13th February 2013 at 03:19 PM.
Sytes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13th February 2013, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
C4
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5366

Breezy

Downloading to give a go, heard MP is not implemented yet???
C4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2201

That track seems so familiar - I think it was a Sega track for one of their slot/arcade machines.

Once was known as Stuman
Medieval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 11:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5385

Lurking

Ok.....it seems you get one car and one (fantasy) track.......everything else it seems you have to pay for with vRP (virtual Race Points) which you buy through your Steam account for around $6.50 for 500 vRP. Bathurst is 549vRP for example.

It looks like Simbin's attempt at the iRacing model.....except it's a lot more arcadey than iRacing. It has all the raceline guides and braking points (a big red ? in the middle of the track) flashing all over the place.....I don't think it's for me. If I'm going to "pay2play" a racing game, I want a sim, not an arcade racer and it seems iRacing does it so much better. Better still, rFactor is pay once/play forever and a damn sight cheaper than iRacing or the Simbin RaceRoom.

And I can't wait to see if Simbin have their netcode together yet......they've only been working on it for about 8 years. The last Simbin game I played was Race07 and the lag in an online race was at times, atrocious......but it was better than GTR2 which was virtually unplayable online due to lag. In that respect, both iRacing and rFactor just walk all over Simbin. I guess they have to prove it to me that they've got good netcode before they'll ever get any more money out me.....Sad really because Race07/GTR Evolution was actually quite a good sim, at least physics-wise....it was great to drive let down by a really bad interface.....and this one seems to be in the same vein.

Thanks for pointing it out Sytesy.....but I think I'll pass.

I went outside once, the graphics were great but the gameplay sucked.
BT's website

Last edited by Blaktop; 14th February 2013 at 12:02 AM.
Blaktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013, 12:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Lurking

The other thing is....RaceRoom is not new, originally (2-3 years ago) it was an addon for Race07 and didn't go anywhere so now they've relaunched it using the iRacing model.....PAYG.

BT's website
Old 14th February 2013, 12:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Lurking

OK....update.....you get two tracks, a hillclimb (which I haven't driven) and the Fantasy Race Room track with a couple of layouts....and you get 6 cars. I drove the Saleen and got to expert level in about 10 minutes. I have to knock 1.5secs off my time to unlock the setups and turn all the helpers off. Feels really arcadey.

BT's website
Old 14th February 2013, 01:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Yeehaw

Bummer! Good review. Thanks Blaktop.

I don't have my foot pedals/wheel at my work area though was having wife bring it with her next trip...

Bah! Arcade is a certain no go! And fee2play has been the worst of experience thus far.
Old 14th February 2013, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
C4
Retired Captain

Breezy

gave it a play, not my cup of tea, uninstalled.

abit off topic, but have any of you joined the rfacter 2 beta and if its not under nda any thoughts? especially the netcode and physics

Last edited by C4; 14th February 2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 14th February 2013, 02:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4 View Post
gave it a play, not my cup of tea, uninstalled.

abit off topic, but have any of you joined the rfacter 2 beta and if its not under nda any thoughts? especially the netcode and physics
C4, what were your thoughts of the game? Would be interested in your thoughts.
I think it is a no go for me as well w/o even trying it. Words of the arcade sort lack inspiration for me.

zRe: Rfactor2,
Saw a few nice videos of the progress a couple weeks back. Looks good.

Here is the link: Work-in-progress Videos | rFactor

This is my favorite thus far...
11.30.12 “Driving Experience” testing Lime Rock Park – By an rF2 Tester

I am waiting for the next real team oriented race simulation.

Would be great to hear from a Beta player if able to speak about it.

Additional edit... I don't really see an NDA... rather testers are those who purchase as is and buys with the knowledge it is an 'ever' evolving simulation.
Seems for Standard $43.99 - 1st year free and after $12 per year. Or Lifetime $84.99 - Includes all aspects with no further payment. Both US payment. Bot sure if there is a difference in AU costs.
Here is the link... Haha! I suppose I should have looked further then simply googlin over the videos.. I simply thought the offer was for the 1st rfactor. Heh!
http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rfactor2-purchase/

Once the wheel and pedals arrive, I'll have to give this some serious thought.

Last edited by Sytes; 14th February 2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 14th February 2013, 06:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
C4
Retired Captain

Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sytes View Post
C4, what were your thoughts of the game? Would be interested in your thoughts.
I think it is a no go for me as well w/o even trying it. Words of the arcade sort lack inspiration for me.
The Pay 2 play part really put me off, especially when I saw the bathurst track and realised I had to pay to play. I had a go for a short time but it really didn't feel right,

I may try rfactor 2 but I really need to curtail my spending on games I end up hardly playing . I was looking for some opinions from TOGers before deciding to puchase or maybe wait until the end of the year and see how things pan out.