Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23rd April 2013, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
RnR
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4633

Default Gearbox Software acquires Homeworld

Quote:
Gearbox Software has prevailed as the highest bidder in the acquisition of the Homeworld franchise from THQ. Brian Martel, Gearbox Software's Chief Creative Officer, has great love and respect for Relic's brilliant, fun and innovative game and personally spearheaded the acquisition.

Brian intends as first priority to direct Gearbox's interest to preserve and assemble the purest form of the original acclaimed and beloved games, Homeworld and Homeworld 2, with the intent of making them accessible on today's leading digital platforms.
Homeworld Acquisition and Plans - Gearbox Software Community

Sounds like Homeworld 1 & 2 will appear on steam in the near future. Hopefully, they will take the story forward as well.
RnR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24th April 2013, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Division Captain
Arma
Elite - Post: 4919 TOG Gold Level Supporter

God help them of they stuff it up like Aliens. I will personally kick down their front door and start taking names...
Nobody messes with my beloved...

Oh, and thx for the heads up RnR.

Per ardua ad astrospud
astrospud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Division Captain
Arma

Reading the GB Homeworld discussions, there is much conjecture/concern/hope surrounding the pending creation of the next HW title.
BBI, the guys behind Hardware:Shipbreakers and spiritual heart of the Homeworld franchise (sans Cataclysm) are mentioned in a thread:

Give it to Blackbird Interactive - The Gearbox Software Forums

Some people don't trust GB to come good on the promise of a new title, given the farce of Aliens.

But Brian Martel may share that passion:

Quote:
Gearbox Software has prevailed as the highest bidder in the acquisition of the Homeworld franchise from THQ. Brian Martel, Gearbox Software's Chief Creative Officer, has great love and respect for Relic's brilliant, fun and innovative game and personally spearheaded the acquisition.

Brian intends as first priority to direct Gearbox's interest to preserve and assemble the purest form of the original acclaimed and beloved games, Homeworld and Homeworld 2, with the intent of making them accessible on today's leading digital platforms.
Taken from GB news feed.

I am both excited and afraid at the same time. My cherished RTS will find a new home

I am excited that HW may be coming to Steam. I have already set up a TOG Homeworld Steam group, and that was before I read the news!

Per ardua ad astrospud
Old 24th April 2013, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
RnR
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4633

I'm kinda excited over the possibility of a Homeworld HD edition. Redone models and textures for the modern gaming machine. The story and game play (and cut scenes) should ofcause be left alone as those components are perfect in the game's context.
RnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 11:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Division Captain
Arma

HW 1 will take a bit of tweaking but being the original, will be sweet in HD.
HW 2 offers some already hi def models with possible retweaking of textures. I run it on my Win7 machine at 1920x10280 to great effect:

Per ardua ad astrospud
Old 25th April 2013, 04:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Squad Leader
2R Regiment Commander
World of Tanks
Deadly - Post: 1005

I think it's good that Homeworld now have a new owner, but I'm not happy it is Gearbox! This company over hype and pretty much lie to fans who love these old franchises (Duke Nukem and Aliens) in their promo and PR only for the game to turn out to be totally awful and broken.

The only series they actually put out which is good is their own Borderlands.

I do hope HW by Gearbox turns out good, but judging by their past practices, I'm going to be very skeptical.

Beside, why not support the original HW developers with their new game. The game is Hardware:

Black Bird Interactive

Last edited by burnx; 25th April 2013 at 04:43 PM.
burnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2013, 01:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Division Captain
Arma

BBI unfortunately missed out on the IP rights to GB in the THQ distribution of assets.
I'm almost certain BBI would treat it as their child, if they'd won.

As for GB, I think the hard lessons of Aliens will show don't mess with a franchise that has a strong fan base.

As one HW fan on the Gearbox boards says in his forum sig: At least EA didn't get the IP...

Per ardua ad astrospud
Old 27th April 2013, 02:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
World of Warcraft
Deadly - Post: 1178

I can't talk about it anywhere on record. but if you get me somewhere we can talk, ask me about Relic and Homeworld.

xbox live Kagani
Bayard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013, 11:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Division Captain
Arma

Can we have a chat in TS sometime? Will need to coordinate times, as we are on opposite sides of the world.

Per ardua ad astrospud
Old 27th April 2013, 08:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4494

Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrospud View Post
I am excited that HW may be coming to Steam.
Holy shit. I loved HW and HW2 back in the day.

Fap, fap, fap, fap.
rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote