Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12th July 2013, 03:17 AM   #31 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1112

Fine

Crafting is coming!

https://scrolls.com/2013/07/introducing-crafting

Last edited by Warrender; 12th July 2013 at 04:45 AM.
Warrender is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12th July 2013, 07:45 AM   #32 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1388

Daring

Don't really care about it. I see plenty complaints about it in the forums.

But in my opinion is a quite clever idea. Generic art upgrade that works for all cards and let's people who got all cards and nothing to spend gold in something to do while more content is being made.
Just imagine the cost that making a new picture art for each card would be, way more than this.

Also today I could play my first game with a togger, Willow. Hope to meet you again, hopefully I'll have my order deck ready by then.
LuthienCeleste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 09:44 AM   #33 (permalink)
Dream Catcher
Elite - Post: 3652 TOG Bronze Level Supporter

Pensive

Yeah, great to chat with some fellow toggers. Got some good tips from Warrender (still think it'll take me forever to take out that ogre...) and I have to say it's a much nicer experience to have your butt handed to you by a Togger. Thanks for pwning my deck, Luthien.

I'm working on a growth one now...

Willow Ravenwolf, Fyanna; GW2 (Yak's Bend) [Willow Ravenstar; Guild Wars and Star Trek Online]

Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 10:42 PM   #34 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1388

Daring

Saw the best and the worst of the Scroll's population today.

There is this person with ranking 1847 (I was slightly bellow 1700) whom I played with. This was our conversation :
*: gl hf
Luthien: hi, gl hf
(Here I win)
Luthien: gg
*: how
*: badest players
*: wtf
*: the badest players playing growth
*: wtf
Luthien: I have been told that often
*: you freaking, ****ing noob
-- Smooney left the game --

In that game I killed his central idol very soon, he starts making his army up and I go down. Killed the other 2 idols too fast for him without ever touching his creatures except for the last one he summoned at the bottom in desesperation.

And then there is this person who is willing to pay 2500 for 3 pothers so I think... Ok, I'm gonna sell em, rebuy for lower and make a bit of profit. I go trade put the 3 pothers and caressly hit accept, him doing the same and there I am with only 557 gold in my account.
I tell him what happened, he claims he gave the gold, I tell I have only 557 gold, he says he will check, after about 30 seconds he sends me a trade request and gives me the the 2500 gold.

I bow to you heimerdinger, whoever you are, you are a gentleman.

Last edited by LuthienCeleste; 13th July 2013 at 10:45 PM.
LuthienCeleste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 01:03 AM   #35 (permalink)
Dream Catcher

Pensive

Yeah, I get the same sometimes.

I was playing my Order deck (which I played to about 1300 or so) and took apart some guy's energy deck. He never got anything in play for very long as I was moving everything about with Pother/Flip/transposition or just pushing everything back at the last minute. Obviously wound him up no end to the point when I was about win that he started saying that all the Order cards are broken (?!) and that this deck I'd specifically constructed to take on energy (again, ?!) would get pwned by growth. Cos I'd have gotten to 1300 playing that deck only ever against energy...

Some people need to chill out.

Have found that there really is quite an imbalance to growth from what I can see. I've played Order and now a new Growth deck I put together, and my win/loss ratio is stupidly better with the growth deck.

Even when opponents have a seeming board advantage that would have wiped my Order deck, a couple of rounds from this new deck (especially if you use rallying, god hand or quake) and it's tables turned and smack down time.

Once I've got the cash I'm getting an energy deck and see how they play.

Would still like to have Order as my primary, so might go back and tweak what I have to include some generals/imp resources etc and see if that helps

Willow Ravenwolf, Fyanna; GW2 (Yak's Bend) [Willow Ravenstar; Guild Wars and Star Trek Online]

Old 19th July 2013, 07:25 PM   #36 (permalink)
Dream Catcher

Pensive

OK, I'm gonna say it. Quake is broken...

In far too many games I've played when I have managed to gain board control via good strategy and play, wiping out the opposition, suddenly a couple of quake cards come along and you're toast.

My problem with it is 2 things, I think.

1) It's a 'no skill' card. Basically, you can wait for 10-12 rounds and pretty much ignore what you're opponent is doing. Then play a quake (or 2, or 3...) and then drop all your mobs when they have nothing left. Couple that with the 'no brain' God Hand and it's win city. (I should know, I have a deck that does just this and I've lost 2 games in about 40 with it...)

2) Order has nothing like it. Energy has Thunder surge, but Order has no way of achieving a big board clear with just one card. You can set up a massive army and speed a general, sure, but that takes planning and skill (see point 1). Thunder surge at least has a limit on adjacent squares, and Decimation only does 1 damage to units in 1 row. Quake clears the board.

The 'downside' of the fact Quake hits friendly units too is never really an issue, as most of the time it's only played when you have no friendly units. It's a complete wipe most of the time for the opposition and from what I can see, there's very little you can do about it.

They either need to look at Quake's power (maybe only 1 damage to everything on the board), improve Decimation (2 damage to all units on adjacent lines, 1 idol damage) or give Order some sort of equivalent to Thunder Surge and Quake.

There seems to be a real problem in the game at the moment that Growth is far too strong for far too little effort and skill. Anyone can get a growth deck list and play it to pretty high ranking with not a huge amount of skill. That's just wrong in my opinion.

Old 19th July 2013, 08:05 PM   #37 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1112

Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
It's a complete wipe most of the time for the opposition and from what I can see, there's very little you can do about it
Actually, Quake can be played around if it's something you suspect. Playing units that can survive 2 Quakes in a row helps. But the real trick is to keep more cards in hand than your opponent. If they Quake when they are down cards severely, it is only going to hurt them more than help.

In this regard, Order can do this a lot better than Energy can.
Warrender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 08:50 PM   #38 (permalink)
Dream Catcher

Pensive

Yeah, I've seen other people say that as well. I think part of me is too used to playing the 'Scrum' and flooding early (I quite often find myself with a lack of cards in hand playing order, but not Growth).

Also, I can see that working to stave off one Quake, but (as in a game last night), I survived one Quake, put down some more units, got hit next turn with another, got wiped, then 2 turns later he's got wolf city in play and god handed it...

To be at a point in that game where I'd taken 2 of his idols before he'd even got 6 resources and then get Quaked out of the game is frustrating in the extreme, and points to my problem that Quake is a 'no skill' winning card most of the time.

I know part of it is I need to be a better player, but it's hard to get the enthusiasm to persist to where you can be better when every other player is throwing that same Quake trick at you.

Old 23rd July 2013, 12:49 AM   #39 (permalink)
Dream Catcher

Pensive

Some new info on development and the 4th faction:

https://scrolls.com/2013/07/lets-tal...ls-development

Old 23rd July 2013, 07:18 PM   #40 (permalink)
Dream Catcher

Pensive

Was thinking that I'd rather pay gold or trade with a TOGger, so how about we post up our trade lists?