The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/rpg-simulation-strategy-others/)
-   -   Scrolls (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/rpg-simulation-strategy-others/497438-scrolls.html)

Willow 12th June 2013 01:46 AM

Scrolls

Anyone here playing Scrolls (new game from Mojang)?

I was in the Alpha testing, so have a beta account already and am getting back into it. Be interesting to bat some ideas about with other TOGers.

Brootal 12th June 2013 06:44 PM

Got it, not overly good at it yet, can beat easy, but not medium on single player. still getting to know it

Willow 14th June 2013 07:51 PM

Picked Order as my primary deck (I seem to have a knack of picking the hard option...) and having a bit of success.

Energy decks just roll me at the moment, so have to see what I can do about that.

DangerMouse 14th June 2013 08:33 PM

I've only played against the CPU but I'm enjoying it :)

Bawheidbob 15th June 2013 04:26 AM

I will check it out - Never played anything remotely like it.

Willow 17th June 2013 07:08 PM

Been having some better success with my Order deck now I've got some better cards. Still not exactly where I want it to be tho.

Main problems are in longer games when Energy and Growth get a roll on. Just can't keep the units on the field long enough.

Either have to speed up and kill the game earlier or look at ways to limit damage.

Brootal 18th June 2013 09:27 AM

Playing energy, and I'm finding I can't keep anything on the board long enough to make an impact.

That said, this game requires some thought to learn and by the time I sit down to look at it I'm usually too tired to concentrate.

Willow 18th June 2013 06:54 PM

Energy can take a long time to build up to anything, but with a wall of structures up it can be hard to do anything against.

Spells like Iron Whip, Burn and Spark will help you target enemy units wherever they are. There are some low cost automatons that can be a real headache as well.

The game does take a lot of thought. Even once you have a deck you're happy with, knowing when and how to sac cards can turn a game completely. Plus there's also the joy of having a really crappy draw to begin with that can completely end you before you've even started...

Play some of the trials. Even if you don't win, you can pick up some good ideas from the ai's tactics. There's one trial called "destruction from above" or something like that - it's the last Easy one. The ai plays an energy deck and I cannot for the life of me beat it.

It does already have 3 catapults of goo in play before you even start, so that's quite a wall to overcome before you even start!

HappyWulf 21st June 2013 07:35 PM

Hey guys. I just joined the site and am going around touching base in threads where I've been active in related games.

I've been playing scrolls for a week or 2 now, ever since I found out it'd opened up into paid beta status. I started with a Growth deck and have been buying packs of 10 at a time cards, so I have a lot of doubles and i'm starting to get a decent collection in the other decks.

I'd be up to A. Playing with other members here. B. Trading cards I have more than 3 copies of. C. Helping teach anyone here the finer points of the game if you want to join the game but are a little put off by it's complexities.

Warrender 22nd June 2013 10:39 PM

Scrolls is my current gaming obsession ATM. I'm happily reliving my old MTG days as a CCG player. Maybe it's time to hang out in a TOG channel ingame?