Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6th July 2014, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1569

Amused
Default Divinity: Original Sin

Oh yeah, this is what RPG's are all about. Difficult, with no hand holding or quest map markers, oh no, you gotta figure things out for yourself. But it does balance this by having easy teleport back to a city or safe place. Quicksave will get a workout.
Standard isometric view, works well. You cant manipulate the camera too much, which is normal for this viewpoint(in shadowrun you cant move it at all). The grahpcis themselve are good, small items do get lost in the scenery so having ALT to highlight items is a boon. Magic graphics are the requisite colorful. Environment can be used to effect as well, with poison,oil and water barrels being able to be smashed open (enemies will do this also) and lit up or frozen/electrified for multiple enemy damage or path blocking (you can carry the barrels to fights, set them up and lure enemies in).
Quests so far have been easy followed if the entry's read well. I made it to level 4 pretty quickly. There's plenty of loot to find, but so far i haven't found many people with gold to trade in the first city. You can talk and trade with anyone so it pay to get talking.
Who doesnt like crafting there own gear and potions? I sure do. crafting is absolutely vital for archers with plenty of arrowheads available to help win the fight. Books around the place give recipes for potions and gear. I havent figured out if enchanting is available though.
Enemies are leveled, so a level 7 will wipe out a level 3 or 4 easily. If your one level below the enemy you can win, two or more and you need luck. the first city has had a large range of enemies so far such as fire demons, orcs, undead and zombie dogs.

I'm rating this game 8.5/10. RPG fans get it!

Old 6th July 2014, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6615

Grumpy

Very nice - I will pick it up eventually for sure. Made a promise to play what I have first though.
Old 7th July 2014, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Squad Leader
2R Regiment Commander
World of Tanks
Dangerous - Post: 968

Can't wait for my KS DRM-free copy to arrive...one of the few KS I'm really happy I backed
burnx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 365

I love this game! And I don't say that lightly. I think it's been over a decade since I've enjoyed a single player RPG this much (well technically it has co-op too but I haven't tried that).

It'll be a tough act for the likes of Wasteland 2, Torment and Pillars of Eternity to follow, but I have high hopes for them as well.
Cromulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 11:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Amused

I've put 20+ hours into it now. I've been enjoying it thoroughly, more than Shadowrun Returns, which i'm getting through at the moment. I did have a quest npc die in a fireball spamming fight though - a fight i tried about five times. Quicksave gets a workout.
Old 11th July 2014, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 70

I am pretty sure i know exactly the fight you speak of. I ended up rerolling from the start at that point and have a cleric turned death knight with witch skills and a geo/pyro wizard combo going on. I am loving the new group.

Not to mention i am entirely absorbed into the game. I am hoping i finish the game before the final release of wasteland 2 next month. It truly is the year of the cRPG revival.
Warshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 02:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Amused

I'm curious if anyone has opened more than the portal to hall of heroes and the portal for the telescope.

Going to delve into the toolset this weekend. An RPG without a toolset for modding is just not on imho.
Old 11th July 2014, 02:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1433

Happy

Absolutely loving this game!

Got one friend who is always able to be online when I am to which we have committed to only playing together, loving the coop in that sense.

He is rocking the Beefcake and I am rolling with the Caster.

I love how actions can lead to unexpected things, friend went to dig up a dirt pile at the same time that I blasted a magic bolt at a fat sheep. A huge radius then exploded dealing like 31k+ damage, that had us in fits thinking the sheep blew up, so of course we had to trouble shoot it ... So much fun.

True to type organic, heirloom and open pollinated seeds, join the revolution against modified foods and enjoy the taste of home grown food.

Grow fresh, eat fresh!

Last edited by delushin; 11th July 2014 at 02:29 PM.
delushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 02:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1433

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
I love this game! And I don't say that lightly. I think it's been over a decade since I've enjoyed a single player RPG this much (well technically it has co-op too but I haven't tried that).

It'll be a tough act for the likes of Wasteland 2, Torment and Pillars of Eternity to follow, but I have high hopes for them as well.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STOP PLAYING NOW

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Find a friend that can play the same times you are playing and do it coop, amazing! You can still get all the npc followers to which you control evenly and get to play and explore with a friend.

Nothing better than running off to trade and have my bone head mate start a fight ... love this game!

True to type organic, heirloom and open pollinated seeds, join the revolution against modified foods and enjoy the taste of home grown food.

Grow fresh, eat fresh!
delushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2014, 07:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
C4
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5343

Breezy

great game, worth every cent. Haven't had this much fun in an rpg for awhile.

Game Guide
http://guides.gamepressure.com/divin...e.asp?ID=23969

Recipes
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthre...&Number=506737

Last edited by C4; 12th July 2014 at 09:49 AM.
C4 is offline   Reply With Quote