Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23rd July 2014, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 68

Default The Crew - MMO Racing Game

http://thecrew-game.ubi.com/portal/en-AU/home/

Hi didnt see any posts on the forum about this.... Just started in first closed beta, and is due November 15.
Im interested in the game, but still waiting to get a better opinion of it.

MMO Racing game... always online, co-op / pvp / solo gameplay, exploration / racing / combative / missions / racing.

Cars have Spec from generic stock vehicles, to street racing, dirt racing, circuit, performance and raid spec (which is weird, think boss battles).

Loot & Itemisation is a mix of performance parts to suit your spec like engine/tires/gearbox components, as well as custom look slots for non-performance parts like doors/hoods/spoilers/rims/skins. Earn cash to buy better cars, but parts can be scored from missions and victories.

Team racing sound fun, where a team can slow block and crash into other players so one of their buddies could score the victory. With shared exp.

A bit sceptical about some of the game, they say they mapped the United States to the game world and you can drive coast to coast... then you hear its like 1.5 to 3 hours... with no zone loading, while that impressive for a game world. The cannonball run record for USA coast to coast is 29 hours.... so what did they cut or scale wrong to lose 26 hours :P

What you think ?

ps, I put it in this forum instead of MMORPG... cause I think its OTHER!... I dont see it complying with the term "roleplaying" when the only element its not borrowing from MMORPGs is actual roleplay.

Last edited by Dirty; 23rd July 2014 at 12:31 AM.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26th July 2014, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 4

Coast to coast flying is 5 hours. Thats at 391mph. If you go Mach 2.7 you can make the run in 1.7 hours, which fits that time-frame. Honestly, If I was in a car going Mach 2.7... I would probably die.

Also a game map, ground level, with road textures, in HD, of the ENTIRE USA; would be massively gigantic. A few flight sims I play have HD packs of the US and it runs up to around 75gigs for a nice HD US pack. And that doesnt include actual roads and trees and stores and what have you. You would be looking into a 200+ gig game just for textures. Not that it isnt possible, but this is for consoles as well, so... think small thoughts here. Or procedurally generated thoughts.

As for distance you would travel, simple math and estimation tells me that the cars in this game iwll probably run top speeds around 200mph-MAYBE 250 if you push reality.
Going 250mph (reality stretching to the max here) You would be looking at 7.82 hours to traverse the US from GA to CA. Now they say that it can be done in 3h... Sooo... That give us a total distance (at these speeds) of approx. 750 miles and thats non-stop, full-throttle. Also thats almost 1/3 the distance.

Seems fun, but seems... seems like they're lying about something just from basic math.
Lira_514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2014, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1393

Mellow

So it sounds a bit like TDU2?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Brootal666
Brootal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2014, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 68

Yeah TDU2, Need for Speed Worlds (but it had bad multiplayer mechanics), a bit of Gran Turismo (but with arcade control mechanics not simulator controls)... I got Beta access, but its way too early in the beta to judge the game. Cause a lot of players cant even get past the first mission (inc myself) due to a crappy controller driver issues that basically cripples the cars top speed and you cant get to checkpoints in time.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Average - Post: 199

Twisted

im going pre purchase the game on monday it looks good been waiting for a good racing game for ages so im easy to jump on it will we be making a group and that for this game? hope there enough people willing to to give it a go
Old 26th August 2014, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Division Captain
Star Trek Online
Deadly - Post: 1458

Cynical

Having a go with this week's closed beta, and having a lovely time of it (using a wireless 360 controller). Look me up in-game for friend's list: Mach5Five
Old 26th August 2014, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Average - Post: 199

Twisted

yeah it pretty good play most of the night and today pretty good game i added ya too
Old 26th August 2014, 11:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 685

Psychedelic

Looks pretty cool, but at full price and it being a "mmo".. i have wasted to much money on mmo`s that are empty after a month or two.

Wish they just made it a single player game with optional multiplayer like TDU
Old 27th August 2014, 03:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Division Captain
Star Trek Online
Deadly - Post: 1458

Cynical

Many thousands of keys for this week's beta test @mmorpg.com.
I have an extra if they run out (which they sometimes do quickly).
PM me if you can't get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Wish they just made it a single player game with optional multiplayer like TDU
There are literally hundreds of personal challenges and story missions available for solo play...or there will be that many at launch, regardless. Even though the entire map is open, only the midwest and eastern US regions are open for missions.
Old 27th August 2014, 07:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 685

Psychedelic

Thanks for the mmorpg headsup, im installing now.