Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10th February 2003, 11:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Wildstar
Ace - Post: 8657

Tired
Default RW & NWN Server...

I am now permanently hosting a RW server for Glen's game, and there is an open (or more accurately - will be) NWN server running too, which is there for people to identify things they have, and meet and greet. Also, there is a training ground too, the idea here being players can come and learn how to use thier character's abilities. Areas included will be a Clerical/Paladin area for learning about how spells and weapons and special abilities (like turning) will affect the undead. An area where any character can fight monsters and learn how to beat them, an area for druids and rangers to practice with natural animals, a spell casting area that rests almost instantly so wizards can get the timing and aiming of spells down pat to minimize damage to party members etc... And an area for thieves to practice thier trade, hiding in shadows, pick pocketing, opening locks, finding and removing traps, and setting them again.

If anyone has some ideas about what else can be done, let me know. I think this might be good too, as I will be able to add portals to the game like the one discussed, and we can use it as a starting point.

Details for both the RW server, and NWN server are as follows:
RW -
203.45.142.210/tog-nwn
pass = faerun

NWN -
player pass = faerun
gm pass = *upon request* (this is so someone can get to learn the GMing side of things)
Item limits are off, full PVP, everything else is standard. I will find a way to make sure nobody gets XP from this place too, somehow.

TOG Member since 2002
BF4: DePixel8r / Thunder_Tw0nk, EVE: Alvar Ursidae, NWO: @calthinian
Donec in noctem claudit - 4DK! Nolite ire leniter!

DePixel8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10th February 2003, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator
MMO Division Admin
All Knowing - Post: 17280

Actually, it is easy to make sure no one gets exp for kills.

In the toolset load up your module and go to:

Edit -> Module Properties

Select the 'Advanced' tab and you will see an option called 'XP Scale'. Set this value to 0 a viola, no exp for module.
Old 10th February 2003, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Wildstar

Tired

Sweet - thanks rickety!

TOG Member since 2002

Old 10th February 2003, 09:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator
MMO Division Admin

No worries.
Old 11th February 2003, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator
MMO Division Admin

Warbear, did you want a hand with the module you are writting? I'm been creating one myself but haven't found the time to really do it justice. Maybe if we pooled our efforts we could come up with something really cool or are you an absolute legend (or prefer to go it solo)?
Old 12th February 2003, 12:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Wildstar

Tired

Would love help, but my thing isn't so much a module, as a persistant world where we can go and test shit out, play with equipment, swap shit between characters and practice our shit against monsters, with no loss or gain.

It's also going to be a portal to go play other modules as well.

What I need is scripting help, a lot of it as I know none, but apart from that, yeah, I need help so if we pool efforts, we can make your module the first off the ranks when the portal is in place.

MSN me (warbear1971@hotmail.com) or ICQ me (2579592) and we can sort something out, you can have a look at what I have done so far, and make suggestions, then go make some stuff.

Could be good (or evil) depending on how we work things out.

TOG Member since 2002

Old 24th February 2003, 06:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Hope is Alive
Ace - Post: 7821

Lurking

Logged on to Warbear's server yesterday, and instead of the custom area where everything is closed and there's nothing to do after you've killed the two shopkeepers..

I'm in some city written by some other dude where you can learn Bowyer-ing and Fletcher-ing and such..

Me being me, I found the guy with the heaviest looking armour and the biggest sword and shot him full of arrows.

Took a while.. and quite a few arrows, but when I brought him down I got two messages:

You have gained 70 experience points
You have gained 0 experience points

A quick check of my Character sheet showed that I had indeed gained both 70 and 0 experience points.

Logged out after a bit more exploring, and didn't save my character.

Just FYI, Warbear.
Old 24th February 2003, 07:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Mad
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2254

Why dont you use the GA TS?
Old 25th February 2003, 08:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Wildstar

Tired

Yeah Janus I was looking at some PW modules, and that was one of them, main problem is, that, and some of the other modules I have been looking at recently, have used Hard Caw Rules, and do strange things to XP and stuff.

Some basic stuff to give you an idea of HCR:

To rest you need to be in a buildin with a bed, in that room, or outside any city, not IN the city, but outside it, as you are not allowed to just sleep on the streets anywhere you want to. And you have to have food rations so that you can eat first. Then on top of that, you can't rest whenever you want, you only can rest once you are tired enough to, and it will tell you if you are, or once a day, now if it tells you to rest, you have to find somewhere to rest, and it drops your stats if you wait too long.

That's one thing, and not all of it...

I am doing the start of a module at the moment, where there is a ship passage, and it works quite well, with a stop over at an island where goblins continually keep showing up, giving you about 100 to fight, which also slows you down, but then you need to rest too (read above). I took Brilhasti (my 12th lvl mage) into the module, so I had some magic and defences, and found it slowed me a little bit, but not a lot. I think it could be good for 4 1st lvl characters as it recommends, and COULD be the starting point for a good series of adventures.

I have also grabbed a heap of the official modules form 3E D&D that have been converted and will be giving them a run through too to see how they measure up, I will report on them too, as they also would make good modules, one especially as we shouldn't come out of it too high in levels, and can keep the characters.

TOG Member since 2002