Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range > Rust (Public)

Rust (Public) Do you trust your neighbour?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19th January 2014, 12:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 521 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Aggressive

Well Oxide updated to 1.8.x, and quickly followed up with 2 Patches to fix a few things, BUT it gives us so many more hooks to use and can add our own Death messages etc

I think we'll stay with Oxide.

THAT being said... I want to put forward to all TOG'ers a possible skew of the server.
And No, just because I put this forward don't think you guys don't have any input.

I would like to change the server to a real survivor server.
No Military weapons or Kevlar apart from Airdrops, no Shotgun/M4 Ammo, possibly no 9mm ammo/revolver as we can't change it to handmade shells, Explosive Charges or Grenades. Ammo for Military weapons wont drop from Mobs so the ammunition you get will be mostly used up on raids.

I really don't know how this would effect people's enjoyment levels but it will stop hackers and make griefing so much harder.

Death Messages seems to be high on most people's list at the moment too.

Is there any other ideas or thoughts on the above?

Last edited by Harrowed; 19th January 2014 at 01:28 PM.
Harrowed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19th January 2014, 01:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1229

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrowed View Post
No Military weapons or Kevlar apart from Airdrops?
Problem is with this is once you get the gear you could own all the airdrops you go to.
Old 19th January 2014, 02:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 320

Yeehaw

Just make it leather and pistol grenades as the high end stuff (and craftable) and make it only from air drops this will still allow bows and hatchet to have a chance still.
angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 03:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 39

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadzy View Post
Problem is with this is once you get the gear you could own all the airdrops you go to.
This.

If it had to be done I would leave in the 9mm and the bolt action as craftable items to level it out.
meth0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 04:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Division Captain
Warframe
Deadly - Post: 1330

Quote:
I would like to change the server to a real survivor server.
No Military weapons or Kevlar apart from Airdrops, no Shotgun/M4 Ammo, possibly no 9mm ammo/revolver as we can't change it to handmade shells, Explosive Charges or Grenades. Ammo for Military weapons wont drop from Mobs so the ammunition you get will be mostly used up on raids.

I really don't know how this would effect people's enjoyment levels but it will stop hackers and make griefing so much harder.
I like the idea, I mostly run around with a pipe shotgun anyway as it's real cheap to make ammo and kill zombies and animals. I play mostly with leather armor, even though I can make pretty much everything in the game x10.

I play light so if I die I don't lose much (and don't get stressed out).

Bows, pipe shotty, hand cannon, melee weapons, food, wood structures, first aid kits and regular clothing are all realistic items for a survival game and things you would be able to make on the current workbench and furnace that we have.

I don't think making guns and kevlar are as realistic on the current system and it would be nice if you were able to increase the resource requirements and/or the time it takes to make these items.
Having them as air drop only items would be a nice way to limit the number on the server.

Gear durability or having metal items being affected by radiation the longer you stay in a rad zone would be fun. A m4 could take 10000 rads worth before it gains residual radioactivity (as example).

Expanding on this, equipment in general could have a radiation limit before it has a residual radiation of it's own unless it is cleaned and this may not be possible with the current survival tech of the game.

I'm not really savvy on how real world gear is affected by radiation and how it could be implemented into Rust and maybe it's more for the feedback section of the forums.
But durability of some kind could make the game more interesting.

How would a change in higher tech items impact the server when a certain percentage of the population dominates with such gear?
The rich get richer and the poor get owned. Would this be a turn off for players, both new and old?

Would such a tech change also require a server wipe? Some players may not want to lose what they have, but it also could bring in new players that have been waiting for the fresh and equal level start.

I have a massive and complicated tower that I have spent many days on and even though it has nothing on value in it (I just wanted to build it) I still don't mind if it was wiped to make way for changes to the server that would lead to an overall increase in player enjoyment.

If a reduced tech change didn't work then it's no real impact if you reverse it, or add in certain items over time.

Anything decided needs to be fair for all players though, not just for TOG as if we don't have any outsiders to play with then the game won't be as exciting as it is now.

I can't wait for the private forums as it'll allow for a much more detailed discussion on planning and gearing up on the server we play on.

-roob
roob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abilities, addons, future, rust, server