Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12th February 2013, 07:47 PM   #31 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4507

Cheerful

Gotta say, so far (only two missions admittedly) I'm a bit underwhelmed. Less Borderlands, more Duke Nukem Forever.

Just glad I got a cheap key instead of paying full retail/steam price.

So far I'd have to advise people to go and grab Rebellion's AvP for a xenomorph fix.
rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12th February 2013, 09:57 PM   #32 (permalink)
Division Captain
Arma
Elite - Post: 4921 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Glad I haven't played those two...I'm enjoying it FWIW.

Per ardua ad astrospud
astrospud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 10:03 PM   #33 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3268

Fine

GameKeyStore changed their delivery date to the 13th and everyone will get a free upgrade to the limited edition.

STEAM-ID: TOG | TONSCHUH || ORIGIN-ID: TOG-TONSCHUH
DIABLO-3-BattleTag: SKOLOPENDER#1521 (ASIA + AMERICAS | OZ)
Main-D3-RoS-Char: BoneCrusher
My Rig
TONSCHUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 01:21 AM   #34 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 27

Daring

half way done with the story, and played with the multiplayer a bit as well. Best way is hardest difficulty, feels perfect. IDK what the fuss is about, it's not the 20gb's of high res textures we -thought- we were going to get, but they are far from bad. And who knows, maybe one day soon we will see those files? Multiplayer was cool, but alas pay-for-DLC models are killing me, might just wait till the summer sale for it I cant see giving this game a 4 out of 10... 7 or 8 is more like it, but then again.. i loves me my Aliens; and i dont play Call of Duty and see no point in constantly comparing it to this game
Old 13th February 2013, 05:47 AM   #35 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 285

Lurking

eh completed it... i must admit i wish the campaign was longer
only took 5hrs... on soldier mind u, i guess longer in higher difficulty?
Gunna have to co-op it to make it last
I really nearly shit my self a few times during one particular mission >.>

I think i died more times suiciding pressing F instead of E and blowing my self up than getting myself killed by aliens.

My favourite weapon throughout the game was my trusty pump action shotgun.
I was almost ALWAYS out of ammo, had to resort to using a pistol and relying on my dumb partners.

a good 7/10 for me.

Last edited by LavaCaverns; 13th February 2013 at 05:52 AM.
LavaCaverns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 11:05 AM   #36 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12265

So... Does it suck, or does it not?

I still have some of my earlier (in this thread) reservations that the project has been running for five or more years - these tend not to be too successful and full of compromised ideas. How did I go for that prediction?
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 11:37 AM   #37 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 27

Daring

2 years ago, it would be a 9 pointer hands down. This game, with a good nvidea system, looks great; ...2 years ago. Now, lets say You have been playing vidja games a bit longer than most of these reviewers and therefor actually have knowledge of the 8 and 16 bit era, You would say this game looks and plays exceptionally well; even with the buggies. Unfortunatly, the crytek's out there have wowwed the kids, err... crowds and now seem to require ALL triple-AAA titles to use said standards. Look, if You love the Alien franchise, and got the key for $37, I'm betting You feel good about it. I sure as heck do If You want the absolute greatest "looking" game in the world, im sure crysis 3 will take care of those needs, this game is about -Aliens-.
Old 13th February 2013, 11:45 AM   #38 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Elder Scrolls Online
Elite - Post: 3504 TOG Bronze Level Supporter

Relaxed

Have to agree with ColdestVisionz, It's not the best FPS out there, but as an Alien shooter it is a lot of fun.

I've certainly enjoyed it so far.
Rourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 01:13 PM   #39 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3268

Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdestVisionz View Post
2 years ago, it would be a 9 pointer hands down. This game, with a good nvidea system, looks great; ...2 years ago. Now, lets say You have been playing vidja games a bit longer than most of these reviewers and therefor actually have knowledge of the 8 and 16 bit era, You would say this game looks and plays exceptionally well; even with the buggies. Unfortunatly, the crytek's out there have wowwed the kids, err... crowds and now seem to require ALL triple-AAA titles to use said standards. Look, if You love the Alien franchise, and got the key for $37, I'm betting You feel good about it. I sure as heck do If You want the absolute greatest "looking" game in the world, im sure crysis 3 will take care of those needs, this game is about -Aliens-.
I tried the Crysis 3 beta and didn't like. It's not always only about the graphics of a game. Dead Space 3 doesn't look amazing either and even that DS1 + DS2 are the better games, it's still fun. Will see later on tonight how Alien's is, as I got all my keys over night.

STEAM-ID: TOG | TONSCHUH || ORIGIN-ID: TOG-TONSCHUH
DIABLO-3-BattleTag: SKOLOPENDER#1521 (ASIA + AMERICAS | OZ)
Main-D3-RoS-Char: BoneCrusher
My Rig
TONSCHUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 02:08 PM   #40 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1678

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdestVisionz View Post
Look, if You love the Alien franchise, and got the key for $37, I'm betting You feel good about it. I sure as heck do .. snip ..this game is about -Aliens-.
Quoted for truth, loving the little easter eggs - the Weiland Yutani kids tricycle, the Casey doll head in the sewers, came across Wierzbowski's dogtags earlier and had a good chuckle while doing the "Wierzbowski, Wierzbowski" cry .

The singleplayer story line may be a bit short, but if your doing it in 5 hours I think you are missing alot of the flavour stuff that is in there, after about 5 hours of playing and exploring I'm only about half way through. Anyway I'm expecting (hoping) the versus will give this game plenty of life.

Can't recall how many times I have watched this movie since first seeing it on VHS way back in the day and it is great to finally return to LV 426.