TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13th February 2013, 02:47 PM   #41 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 27

Daring

If anyone is up for ultimate badass(co-op) runs, hit me up! steam id: coldestvisionz

.. im 1/2 way through but will probably do the story a few times, loves me some easter eggs.

Old 13th February 2013, 03:28 PM   #42 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4464

Cheerful

Sorry guys, I've played a bit more and have to dissent with the majority - this is a steaming turd, IMHO.

So disappointed - the Borderlands games are great shooters. Interesting world welded to solid mechanics. This seems like a lazy cash grab - even the shooter mechanics are ropey.

And to think it start really well too - the motion tracker pinging away, the alien flitting in and out of sight on the edge of vision - very scary and cool. Then it all turned to shit - aliens who charge at you in a straight line from way, way back. I've experienced scarier things picking the kids up from childcare.

My advice is wait for a demo or at least a steam sale. If you paid full Australian rip-off price, you have my pity.

PS: Pretty much these:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...r/#more-142095

http://www.destructoid.com/review-al...s-244276.phtml

Last edited by rubicon; 13th February 2013 at 05:30 PM.
rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 06:38 PM   #43 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7433

Yeehaw

I was strictly waiting for reviews on this one as, timing wise, it had to be the same Gearbox team as DNF, Borderlands released too recently for it to be that team. Think I'll give it a pass.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 10:24 PM   #44 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1498

Buzzed

Been playing the single player for the last couple of hours and it's not what i expected. Very generic corridor shooter ala Doom 3. The alien IP is up to scratch and the voices and sounds are excellent. I have to bitch about the F key though being used as the grenade launcher, a pretty stupid location imho.
Old 13th February 2013, 11:53 PM   #45 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3061

Fine

It has a pretty simple game-play, but seems to be enjoyable if you like something to easily jump in and out when you have some spare-time.

As @hadrian6616 mentioned it's more like Doom or games like UT / Quake.

The graphics are not awesome, but they're not really ugly too.

@Drac

The game seems to be far better then DNF, which disappointed me big times after waiting such a long time for it.

Is it worth 80 bucks ? Most likely not, as the game is for sure not a AAA+ title.
If you got the game via cheap game-key-deal, you got most likely charged what the game is really worth.

Will have a look into the multi-player-part on the weekend and hope that it is 1000% better then the one from DNF.

STEAM-ID: TOG | TONSCHUH || ORIGIN-ID: TOG-TONSCHUH
DIABLO-3-BattleTag: SKOLOPENDER#1521 (ASIA + AMERICAS | OZ)
Main-D3-RoS-Char: BoneCrusher
TONSCHUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013, 02:27 AM   #46 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2969

Amused

this game is a steaming pile of crap

Aliens Colonial Marines by Avaery, on Flickr

GMT+10:00 (Sydney) See my game projects.
Star Citizen: DRAKE Cutlass (Salvage/Pirate!),
Aegis Dynamics Retaliator (Bomber)
Pinkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013, 07:47 AM   #47 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 44

I pretty much agree with this assessment from spelk over on another forum although I have the PC version and have only played coop to mission 3. Pinkeh is that on insane and why do you think aliens are supposed to be accurate?
The Wargamer | Computer Gaming - Colonial Marines - Not bad

"Seems ok to me (on the 360), so far - about three chapters in. It has Aliens in it, and fast shooting guns. That's about it. It's atmospheric to a point, but doesn't feel as "shit-your-pants" as the previous Aliens Vs Predator game did.

I'm a little sceptical about them using marines vs mercs as well as aliens. As a 'mano a mano' game it doesn't come across as anything other than pedestrian.

Haven't done any online with it, but in the single player (or co-op) you can unlock weapon features and spend points - but it feels very limited really.

Shooting Aliens isn't bad. But overall I'd say if you're not an acid-dripping Aliens fan, you might not want to stump up full whack for this one.

Later...

I tried multiplayer last night and was pleasantly surprised. It does a decent job of creating tension and teamplay, and playing a stalking Alien really is as good as it implies. I think the Alien control mechanic is better than the one in Aliens vs Predator. Latching onto a wall requires a physical action from you (pulling the left trigger) so dropping off a wall to suddenly leap into a marines path is very satisfying. I only played the Team Deathmatch, and it sort of comes across as Left 4 Dead coupled with something like Natural Selection.

Also I played the campaign co-op, and what little I played (over again) felt better the second time around with another person in tow. I think they must scale the enemies you face if you're in co-op, because I actually got to a point where I died - whereas in the single player campaign, I was 3 chapters in and I hadn't died once.

I've seen a lot of the press reviews and the slatings its getting, and I don't think it deserves that much of a pasting. It's nothing new, but it's not a total flop, for me anyway. I don't like these rumours of it being out-sourced so that it's lack of quality (allegedly) isn't wholly Gearbox's responsibility, and they're pointing the finger clearly at Timegate Studio's involvement (a studio I think is under-appreciated for its titles such as Kohan and Section 8 ). From what I've gathered Gearbox was involved at every stage of the game. Single player and Multi-player.

Anyway, as a space marine shooting aliens fan, I'm honour bound to purchase Aliens titles like this, but after some enjoyable and tense multiplayer, along with some blossoming co-op play, I'm glad I stumped up for this title now. I think the press backlash is mainly because it didn't deliver buckets of innovative and new."
Destraex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013, 10:37 PM   #48 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Wildstar
Elite - Post: 2730 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Cheerful

Mr. Halibut had an interesting video in the wake of this game;

Of course, while it doesn't dwell on the actual game mechanics of this specific one, I'm quite in agreement with what he says.

Also, it seems like all the reviewers thought it was a pile of dung as well.
Old 15th February 2013, 07:35 AM   #49 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4464

Cheerful

WTF is this all about too?

That shit's ****ing deceptive. Poor show gearbox.
rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 03:59 PM   #50 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3061

Fine

Looks like that we have to put another company on the blacklist.

STEAM-ID: TOG | TONSCHUH || ORIGIN-ID: TOG-TONSCHUH
DIABLO-3-BattleTag: SKOLOPENDER#1521 (ASIA + AMERICAS | OZ)
Main-D3-RoS-Char: BoneCrusher
TONSCHUH is offline   Reply With Quote