Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4th March 2008, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4739

Default Aliens: Colonial Marines *FEB 2013*

Gearbox is currently working on this FPS, which directly continues from the movie Aliens from another group of Marines point of view, it'll be out on PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 and features 4 player coop!!! as well as normal multiplayer and single player campaign. Each marine in the squad has different abilities and skills plus weapons load out. All marines get 4 weapons, primary, secondary, grenades and pistol. I personally cannot wait, its using the Unreal Engine 3 and here are a few of the just leaked alpha shots, its due out end of this year

Aliens: Colonial Marines

and no they are not renders the UE3 lets you take a screenshot and set as much post processing as you want on it and set it to any res.

"LETS ROCKKKKK!"
t0p

Old 6th March 2008, 10:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12265

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Mega Alien/s fan here.... can't wait!! Those screens look absolutely awesome! Can I drive the power loader pls?!?!?

===

This also:

Quote:
SEGA REVEALS DETAILS OF UPCOMING ALIENS: COLONIAL MARINES VIDEO GAME

First-Person Shooter Based on Popular Motion Picture Franchise Coming to Xbox 360®, PLAYSTATION®3, and PC in Late 2008

SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON (February 21, 200 - SEGA® of America Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today revealed details of the highly-anticipated squad-based first-person shooter video game, Aliens: Colonial Marines™. Licensed through an exclusive agreement with Twentieth Century Fox Licensing and Merchandising and developed by Gearbox Software, the game will be available on Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and Windows-based PC in late 2008.
In Aliens: Colonial Marines, players are part of a United States Colonial Marine squad and must prepare to face an Aliens assault more intense and horrific than ever before. Driven by a compelling and original story penned by renowned writers Bradley Thompson and David Weddle, Aliens: Colonial Marines will retain the atmospheric look and feel of the original films while leveraging next-generation technology to create an entirely new interactive Aliens experience.
Packing classic Aliens weaponry ranging from pulse rifles to flamethrowers as well as brand-new equipment and skills all within a squad-based combat system, players will become an elite United States Colonial Marine. Featuring claustrophobic environments, a brooding soundtrack, and a multitude of surprises and shocks, players will battle against menacing alien hordes in strikingly detailed levels that include the stark interiors of the abandoned Sulaco and unique environments created specifically for the game.
Aliens: Colonial Marines will feature a story driven single-player mode and an all-new four player co-op mode allowing players to share the chilling experience with three friends. In co-op mode, each player will assume the persona of a United States Colonial Marine and have a distinct role to play in the completion of every mission. Additionally, more multiplayer modes will be revealed later in the year that will complete the Aliens video game experience.
Since its 1979 debut, Alien and its three sequels have grossed more than $557 million worldwide, garnering numerous awards, including two Academy Awards®. In 2002, Alien was deemed "culturally significant" by the United States Library of Congress and was selected for preservation in the National Film Registry. For more information, please visit www.sega.com/aliens or the SEGA FTP site at SEGA® of America, Inc. ::: Media FTP Site :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::. Aliens: Colonial Marines is also available for pre-order at www.gamestop.com.
So in human form, it condenses to this:
  • Multi-platform release-PS3, Xbox360, and PC.
  • First Person Perspective
  • Done by Gearbox (Half Life, Halo etc...)
  • Play as Hudson in most Aliens movie sets
  • Single Player and Co-Op!
And that's about all we know. So really, very little. Ok, Multi-platform to me suggests compromises all round - hamstrung already. FPS, excellent. Gearbox, excellent. Hudson, exceptional, so long as I get the option of playing Drake! Single Player and Co-op... now THAT sounds good! There are next to no co-op fps titles out there, and there really is a calling for them. Bring it on.

Mentioning "multi-player modes" just suggests to me they haven't figured that out yet. Really limited with what they can do for the online console aspects.

Overall, looks like there's a lot of "refinement" still to go. Optimising for all platforms is a hell of a task... and I'm yet to see any title do it well. We'll see sometime in the next 12-18 months.

Last edited by Ned; 11th January 2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: 2 post merge
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4739

I'm not sure what multiplayer modes they will be looking at, I for one loved the survival mode in the AVP games, and there's no mention of whether players will be able to take on the roll of the Aliens in multiplayer. I for one hope they are looking at modes like colonist rescue, survival and get to the drop ship.

===

Interview with head of Gearbox talking about Brothers in Arms and Aliens: Colonial Marines

Gamereactor TV Player

Last edited by Ned; 11th January 2011 at 02:23 PM. Reason: 2 post merge
t0p5ecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008, 06:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Correspondent
Retired Advisor
Correspondent
Retired Advisor
Elite - Post: 2913

Lurking

I just read about this one in the last Game Informer, it sounds really sweet!

"...through victory my chains are broken"
Arep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11366

cool!

i love coop games
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 04:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

I think I will too Ned... the last one I played co-op was Duke Nukem 3D!!

I love the idea of it, and am sure it'd be way cool. Different levels of realism and difficulty would be sweet. A more arcade feel for the gung-ho peeps, and a hardcore mode for the strat dudes (me!)

I bags Vasquez... if you know what I mean!
Old 11th March 2008, 06:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4779

Bored

Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?
No. Have you?
Old 13th March 2008, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Jia
Retired Moderator
Elite - Post: 2914

Co-op! Awesome! The atmosphere of "Aliens" was great, if they manage to capture it in a game, it would blow me away. "Aliens" is definitely the perfect setting for a sci-fi/horror FPS!
Old 13th March 2008, 12:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
$inner

From the screenies it looks like a definite buyer looks awesome!!!! anyone know of a release date?
Old 13th March 2008, 01:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Way too early to tell mate. Details are very sketchy at the moment, although they are claiming late 2008. Hopefully true, but likely inaccurate, as these things normally are.