TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...


Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9th November 2008, 07:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Correspondent
Correspondent
Elite - Post: 4611
 Parkey's Avatar

Breezy
Default Stalker

Well thoughts?

Yeah ?

Nay ?

I read a review on it and it sounded awesome.

Wanted to know what you boys and gals thought first.

Also if you have purchased the game through STEAM how big is the download?
__________________

Last edited by Parkey; 9th November 2008 at 07:19 PM.
Parkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11th November 2008, 12:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7433
 Drac's Avatar

Yeehaw
Default

Fallout 3 is better.
__________________
.
. . . .
.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 06:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Correspondent
Correspondent
Elite - Post: 4611
 Parkey's Avatar

Breezy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac View Post
Fallout 3 is better.
Are they based along the same lines?

Like FPS RPG?
__________________
Parkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 08:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7433
 Drac's Avatar

Yeehaw
Default

Yes and no. F3 is more RPG, Stalker is more FPS. Stalker is also kinda buggy from what I've heard and you need a beast of a system to run it well.
__________________
.
. . . .
.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 10:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ombudsman
All Knowing - Post: 19622 TOG Gold Level Supporter TOG Silver Level Supporter
 Wayfarer's Avatar

Yeehaw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac View Post
Yes and no. F3 is more RPG, Stalker is more FPS. Stalker is also kinda buggy from what I've heard and you need a beast of a system to run it well.
Have you played it Drac?
I've not played F3, but STALKER clear sky is a pretty good one IMHO. It was a mongrel to get the graphics setting balanced for my set-up, but once I did that, then patched it, it worked a dream. The textures were a bit too rich for me; way too much bump mapping.

The annoying bugs include odd responses; eg, buying for a trader he basically says good bye when you start up the trade routine. He should be saying "hello". Duh!

Gameplay is good, unless you lose your kit in the dark like some hapless camper
I'm not a RPG fan, but running around collecting stuff and going on missions of my choosing suits me fine. The atmosphere is fantastic... day/night and weather changes are very well done. Clouds will come over and it'll get darker, then the sun's out again.

I bought my copy from zest for about $25 so I can't comment on the DL version, however it's HUGE!

SPOILER:
oh yeah, getting mugged really pissed me off
__________________
Thank God for senility...now I donīt feel silly anymore... blog
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 03:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Correspondent
Correspondent
Elite - Post: 4611
 Parkey's Avatar

Breezy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Have you played it Drac?
I've not played F3, but STALKER clear sky is a pretty good one IMHO. It was a mongrel to get the graphics setting balanced for my set-up, but once I did that, then patched it, it worked a dream. The textures were a bit too rich for me; way too much bump mapping.

The annoying bugs include odd responses; eg, buying for a trader he basically says good bye when you start up the trade routine. He should be saying "hello". Duh!

Gameplay is good, unless you lose your kit in the dark like some hapless camper
I'm not a RPG fan, but running around collecting stuff and going on missions of my choosing suits me fine. The atmosphere is fantastic... day/night and weather changes are very well done. Clouds will come over and it'll get darker, then the sun's out again.

I bought my copy from zest for about $25 so I can't comment on the DL version, however it's HUGE!

SPOILER:
oh yeah, getting mugged really pissed me off
Hey thanks very much for the response Way.

Its between this and Fallout 3 really. I like to play the ass off a game not much of a switcher between games. I think I will go for Stalker it just seems to be a little different for some reason. I just finished ready a article on it in Atomic mag. They really rate it. Was keen to know what the "bugs" are in it. So you answered that for me. Yeah must investigate the download size.
Might post up in the lounge and find out if anyone has done this.
__________________
Parkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 06:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ombudsman
All Knowing - Post: 19622 TOG Gold Level Supporter TOG Silver Level Supporter
 Wayfarer's Avatar

Yeehaw
Default

Well, I haven't finished it yet, but so far the game engine seems fine and no obvious pitfalls in the plot.
There was a bot last night who walked through a wall, turned, looked at me, then levitated through the ceiling. Sometimes it's hard telling the difference between games and real life
__________________
Thank God for senility...now I donīt feel silly anymore... blog
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 09:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Correspondent
Correspondent
Elite - Post: 4611
 Parkey's Avatar

Breezy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Well, I haven't finished it yet, but so far the game engine seems fine and no obvious pitfalls in the plot.
There was a bot last night who walked through a wall, turned, looked at me, then levitated through the ceiling. Sometimes it's hard telling the difference between games and real life
I have never seen a game where the bots are perfect.
Cyris I think has terible bots as well.
They just stand there scratching their heads while you shoot at them.

I think I will go for Stalker first then Fallout 3.
__________________
Parkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 01:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1775
 wHiTeRaSTa's Avatar

Relaxed
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Have you played it Drac?
I've not played F3, but STALKER clear sky is a pretty good one IMHO. It was a mongrel to get the graphics setting balanced for my set-up, but once I did that, then patched it, it worked a dream. The textures were a bit too rich for me; way too much bump mapping.
I've gone off it because i'm sick of fiddling around with my Graphics settings trying to get it to run smooth. 4870
Q6600
4gig ram
benQ24"
Will go back to it one day though..............
__________________
sleepwhenyadead
wHiTeRaSTa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 04:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Correspondent
Correspondent
Elite - Post: 4611
 Parkey's Avatar

Breezy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHiTeRaSTa View Post
I've gone off it because i'm sick of fiddling around with my Graphics settings trying to get it to run smooth. 4870
Q6600
4gig ram
benQ24"
Will go back to it one day though..............
Hmmmm thats a little worrying then.
Same setup as me.

I have a 4870 x 2 in mine. Haven't overclocked the quad yet.

If you couldn't get it to run smooth I may have trouble too then.

Do you run Vista?
__________________
Parkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT +11. The time now is 11:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0