Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15th January 2009, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11366

Default What singleplayer FPSs have you been impressed with?

That's right, single-player

I admit, multiplayer is for me and it's a rare thing for a single-player version of a game to capture me enough to complete it and love it. Most that play online probably feel the same way. BUT there are good SP games out there! Now, I know graphics are important to a point but what games had the gameplay and immersion and intensity that kept you playing? What singleplayer FPS games, if any, stood out for you?

Here's a list from me in no particular order..

- Unreal
- Unreal 2
- Medal of Honor Allied Assault series
- Medal of Honor Airborne
- Vietcong
- Soldier of Fortune 2
- Call of Duty: United Offensive
- Call of Juarez: Bound In Blood
- Borderlands
- Crysis

Last edited by Ned; 11th May 2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: added games
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16th January 2009, 12:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1381

pffft. Silly noob head Neddeh told me to edit this .. cause I didnt read it right LOL
hehehe, neddeh! :P

My fav single player games are..
Unreal 1 - 2
CODUO!
Cod4 !
GTA4 (PC)

Last edited by Dummy!; 16th January 2009 at 08:50 PM.
Dummy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 02:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5868 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Tired

Call of Duty 4 single player was great, in my opinion.

Pace, intensity, storyline, variation.............

....and, obviously, Half Life and Half Life 2.

"Jakob_Pavlov is a known issue and will be dealt with in the next patch." - bigtabs
Jakob_Pavlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 10:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator

LOL @ Dummy... I knew someone would add a multiplayer game into this singleplayer thread

I see you're an Unreal fan! Can you believe 1998 that came out!?!
The immersion in that game was incredible (and the graphics for it's day jaw-dropping!)

I knew CoD 4 and Half Life 2 would get mentions. They just didn't capture me those ones but from feedback and game-chat that I've had they certainly 'captured' many others!
Old 16th January 2009, 11:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4408

Prey.

jimmywrangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator

..another good game!

The Spirit and Wall walking and Gravity flipping also made for a unique multiplayer experience.

By the way, get patched to v1.4 as it removes the disc check from start up (ie. no disk required to start the game)

cheers
ned

Last edited by Ned; 11th May 2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: removed dead link
Old 17th January 2009, 11:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4974

Lurking

Thanks ned
Boy I used to get a headache from playing this one .
Old 17th January 2009, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12265

As has been said - COD4 and HL2 - simply brilliant and engrossing in all manner of ways. COD4 has such incredibly good graphics that I've been stunned that it's a game - the animations of your team-mates when entering buildings, or leaping over a wall... just perfect - but the thing that made it look so damn good was the lighting - incredible. As an experience, I just couldn't stop playing - most excellent, and the "reward" at the end with the bonus round was superb! The best pure action shooter I've ever played.

Half Life 2 was, and still is the best narrative FPS I've played - brilliant characters, fantastic story, and a wonderfully realised world. The way it starts with you on the train is great, and left to wander out into the city... just great - and Alex... they didn't go for the typical Lara Croft "babe" and ended up with so much more - very cool.

Both very much "on rails" from start to finish, so exceedingly limiting and limited in that regard, but for what they are, simply brilliant. I think to get away from the rails thing, you really need to step away from pure shooters, and delve more into titles like Deus Ex (Gold!) or even a title like Fallout 3 - both are First Person, and both are shooters of sorts, but at the same time, they're RPG's too... it's the combo-blend that I like so much. I think Far Cry 2 tried to go for the open ended shooter, but failed badly on too many fronts. Great graphics - and it's impact will be felt for future titles for years to come I think - but ultimately a fatally flawed title. Self propagating fire, exploding ammo dumps, wilderness and the beautifully implemented seamless interface will become the norm in a few years - and thats a damn good thing.
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 01:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post

I see you're an Unreal fan! Can you believe 1998 that came out!?!
The immersion in that game was incredible (and the graphics for it's day jaw-dropping!)
I still play the Unreal Games a lot :P But mainly.. Unreal Tournament Game Of the Year Edition :P My fav online game, and i love to play solo against the bots :P

I need more meat!
Dummy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 03:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12265

Ironically I've never played Unreal Tournament against other people!

Had the demo of that game on my old work PC, and played it for hours - my home rig couldn't even boot it, so never actually got the full game - loved playing against the bots then - awesome game from what I saw.
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote