TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26th January 2009, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11359

Default What 'old' FPS titles have you been playing, if any, lately?

The First PC game I played was Unreal. It came out in 1998 and it was quite simply amazing in so many ways. The story and immersion, the multiplayer, BOT matches, amazing graphics! ... it had everything you could possibly want in a game. It had more then than many games have now.

I've stated using Steam again recently and decided to buy Unreal Gold from the online store. Unreal Gold was a pack that included the original Unreal and the expansion pack that was released the following year, Return to Na Pali!

I never got to play the expansion pack 'back in the day' and have just put a couple of hours into it and I have to say I'm very impressed! Yes the graphics are outdated but the immersion is certainly still there. And... there's even still multiplayer servers going with many still playing!

TOG public forum | FPS - Everything Unreal

=====

For the sake of this thread, let's say an 'old' game is four or more years past it's release date. So who's been playing what? Singleplayer, multiplayer or both.

There's more to good gaming than new releases!

Last edited by Ned; 26th January 2009 at 04:20 PM. Reason: added links
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27th January 2009, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12251

hahaha!!!! Love this...

Battlefield 2!!!

Actually, it's still coming up on it's 4th birthday - so I'll leave it out for the time being.
Battlefield 1942, and it's winning mod, Desert Combat. Combining air land and sea attacks, this game (and mod) are just winners. There's been very little come close to matching the brilliance and scale of this once genre defining title. To be able to walk up to any vehicle in the game (and oh how many vehicles to choose from!) and to get in and fly, drive or sail it anywhere on the map is still simply unmatched today. BF2 and Frontlines: Fuel of War both fell short of acheiving this openness and accessability, despite bringing other elements to the genre.

Desert Combat was, and still is for me, simply the very best example of modern warfare on a theatre scale. It's a truely tiered system of war - bombers, jets, helicopters, tanks, mobile artillery, jeeps, foot soldiers of all roles, battleships, aircraft carriers, detroyers and even submarines! And the flexibility to jump into any role at any time. Unparrelleled.

Has dated quite badly in the graphics area - but it's still played on a few busy servers every night, and still gets the blood pumping easily! A truly great mod, of a great game.
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 08:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Correspondent
Correspondent
Elite - Post: 4611

Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre8 View Post

Desert Combat was, and still is for me, simply the very best example of modern warfare on a theatre scale. It's a truely tiered system of war - bombers, jets, helicopters, tanks, mobile artillery, jeeps, foot soldiers of all roles, battleships, aircraft carriers, detroyers and even submarines! And the flexibility to jump into any role at any time. Unparrelleled.
Funny you say that a few guys from the BF2 division were talking about firing the old 1942 up. Haven't played it myself but am going to have a look at it. I have never not played a game due to graphics. If the game is good you can see through the graphics imo.

The other day a mate and I played a game that we played countless hours on as kids. It is called BodyCount. We laughed our way through it.
Just amazing how far games have come really. Seemed like there were only 10 colours in the game. lol
Old 28th January 2009, 08:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12251

I know the feeling mate - look at Wolfenstein to Crysis and then think it's actually not been all that long between them when you put it all into perspective. However, in computer land, it's ten or so generations... amazing!

However - Desert Combat is simply bloody brilliant - still an active TOG division for it, and still one or two busy local servers for it too. The sheer scale of the mod is whats most impressive - the number of different vehicles that all handle so very differently - BF2 still wouldn't have been released if they put that many objects in-game
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 04:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 5

Default 1942

i wouldnt say the gaphics are that bad , we try to get together and land bash this as much as possible still one of the favorites for game play this game gets me hooked every time i play even if against comp AI
scrotemboy360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator

...some Desert Combat fans!
Here's some more info for those considering this one.

award winning total conversion mod for Battlefield 1942
modern day military theme
focused on conflicts in the middle-east
final version released Oct-2004

// WHAT YOU NEED TO PLAY

Battlefield 1942 - Official Site -
--BF1942 patch v1.6.19 | AusGamers
--BF1942 patch v1.6.19 to v1.61b | AusGamers
Desert Combat (v0.7) | AusGamers
Desert Combat (v0.7 - final) | AusGamers
Old 2nd February 2009, 09:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 8

It seems like i've been playing counter strike for many years and keep coming back to it after trying other single player games and a couple other fps. Lately i reloaded Battlefield 1942 and that got me going out to buy 2142 which i recon is awsome. As Spectre8 says the Desert combat mod was and is still a lot of fun
malevolent01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 10:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Jia
Retired Moderator
Elite - Post: 2914

I just can't get tired of the original Ghost Recon, plus its various mods (does anybody know/remember the BOOM! maps? I loved them!). And then there's Operation Flashpoint...
Those two games = for the win!
Old 4th February 2009, 09:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 688

Fine

Now and again i still play BLOOD - good memories

YouTube - Blood PC game intro, last level and ending

I asked a Genie to make me more irresistible to woman, the wanker turned me into a Visa Card
madoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 12:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator

Now that's old! 1997

The official website is still going
Blood - Welcome to the Realm of Blood

Have a look in the downloads section...
Quote:
Blood Theme
Make your Windows desktop Bloody with the Blood Windows95 Theme!

Reviews rated very well!
Thanks for posting that