Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31st January 2009, 12:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11362

Default Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena.
Quote:
The game introduces the ominous Merc-ship Dark Athena, which stalks the dark reaches of space like a ravenous spider, searching for any helpless prey it can find to feast upon. Players must face a large bloodthirsty operation led by the dreaded Captain Revas and her slaves-turned-controllable combat drones, storm through death-defying events and battle fierce enemies in a fight for their survival and their freedom.

In 2004 The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay* was produced. It was a singleplayer only FPS title that was spawned from the Pitch Black [2000] and The Chronicles of Riddick [2004] movies that stared Vin Diesel.

Assault on Dark Athena is a remake of Escape from Butcher Bay. It features a new singleplayer campaign and this time around it's bundled with multiplayer! The digital Vin Diesel is again providing plenty of action (with real voice from the actor).

Check out The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena Multiplayer Hands-On review at GameSpot.
Quote:
Our favourite mode, though, is called Pitch Black. In it, six players take the role of soldiers, and one plays as Riddick. As a soldier, you have access to weapons such as rifles and shotguns, but as Riddick, you have only your ulak blades. The soldiers start out in a well-lit room packed with weapons, and after stocking up they drop down into a much darker area, with only a flashlight to help them find Riddick. Riddick, meanwhile, can see well in the dark thanks to his eye shine, and it's easy for him to track the flashlights of his adversaries from far away. All in all, it's a great mode--a mad race for the soldiers and a tense battle for Riddick.

This sounds good! I can see the Pitch Black multiplayer game mode being a hit at LANs!
Please post comments on this game here, especially if you buy it!

*For those interested, a demo was released for Riddick | Escape from Butcher Bay - link.

Last edited by Ned; 11th May 2009 at 06:55 PM. Reason: update
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26th February 2009, 01:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator

Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 demos March
PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 release date 24-April-09
SOURCE: Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena Dated in Australia | AusGamers.com

you can pre-order here (release date 30-April-09)
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena | PC Game Buy Online Australia | Games Warehouse

Last edited by Ned; 12th April 2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: updated release date
Old 26th February 2009, 07:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12257

Looking good! Never tried the Butchers Bay one, but damn, Pitch Black mode sounds sweet!
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 09:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2822

Mellow

Escape from Butcher Bay was one of the best games I have ever played as far as mood and feel.

Great game, and I will surely check this one out.

Thanks for the heads up.

Old 28th February 2009, 11:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 15

I only played the first one for a very brief while but I enjoyed it a great deal, I'm usually not a fan of linear path fps type games but the Call of Duty series and Butchers Bay helped change my mind somewhat. The Pitch Black play mode sounds very interesting, somewhat like the AvP situation.
Cadmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 11:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator

Check this interview out with Vin Diesel. He talks about his game production company Tigon Studios and why he dicided to add multiplay to this game

Old 11th May 2009, 06:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator

Got my copy, I'll comment in a few hours
Old 11th May 2009, 10:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2836

Lurking

I'll think You'll enjoy it Ned, the controls take a bit of getting used to (Especially the lean function if You're a CoD type player) and don't be put off by it slighty linear beginnings, It soon opens up...The eyeshine is a cool function. and the neck snap for quiet kills (That's if You have'nt got a Shiv )
The only dissapointment is the Aim function

If You Tolerate This, Then Your Children Will Be Next.
welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 12:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator

Well I'm impressed so far

The singleplayer game flows well. Stealth play and action merge well together with the stealth portions not lasting too long to get boring. The game is linear (which I like) but has enough variety (content) to not be too obvious. The game looks good enough and the cut scenes flow well without ever being annoying. One thing that surprised me is the 3rd person animations when you use ladders or objects... they work beautifully with a perfect camera. There is one negative here, when they ocurr, you don't see the weapons you're carrying. This is certainly no big deal though. I love the gun movement animations when pressed against objects, very nice. It's stuff I've never seen in any other FPS. As welshman said the game really does open up. I won't give away too much because it's story driven. I've started from the original Escape from Butcher Bay as I never played it in it's day then I'll progress onto Assault on Dark Athena. You can play and progress through both at the same time if you wish by using the checkpoint menu to select between the two parts and associated save points.

I had some issues with the multi-play but a patch has been released!
forum.starbreeze.com / IMPORTANT! Patch for multiplayer issues.

I only found one Deathmatch server and played for about 10 minutes as my ping must have been in the 300s. The DM game to me is a mix of Quake 4 and Serious Sam 2. The map was Fate's Dam (2-6 player map) and there were 4 players. It's old-skool Deathmatch. I'd like to play CTF but I haven't found any server yet. Arena looks to be an unarmed combat mode.

I'll post more when I get some runs at CTF, Butcher Bay Riot and Pitch Black!

Here are the MP modes:

Deathmatch
Team Deathmatch
Capture The Flag
Butcher Bay Riot
Pitch Black
Arena

I'll add to all of this over the next week or so

I found something very cool writen on a prison wall

KILL THEM HACKS

Last edited by Ned; 12th May 2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12th May 2009, 01:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2836

Lurking

But You Have gotta tell em about the Dream sequence Neddy
I actually have more fun in this game with the stealth and the bare knuckle boxing parts of this game and the grapple ( where You basically sneak up on an armed guard and grapple His weapon until You get it under His chin and force Him to blow His own Head off) is very well done. I don't know whether You have gotten to the part where Riddick gets His eyeshine yet Ned, but this adds even more dynamic to the game where You can turn off lights and have the advantage of being able to see in the dark, add to this an indicator of whether they can see You or not (The bluer Your screen becomes the less the NPC's can see You) makes for some great stealth moments. Also add to that, the NPCs will look for cover and roll and dive when under fire.
I did play the original, but the graphics and gameplay as really been given a shot in the arm to make a 2004 Great Game into a 2009 Excellent game add to that the Dark Athena extra content and I think most FPS players will be really impressed

If You Tolerate This, Then Your Children Will Be Next.
welshman is offline   Reply With Quote