Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

View Poll Results: Do you think there will be a Battlefield 3 for PC?
No 3 20.00%
Yes 12 80.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31st January 2009, 02:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11366

Default Will Battlefield 3 be released?

The good folk over at IGN PC have just done their IGN PC 2009 Preview.
Quote:
Now that Battlefield: Bad Company for the consoles and Mirror's Edge are out the door and Battlefield Heroes a lot closer to launch, the folks up at DICE have a lot of time on their hands. There have been rumblings for years that DICE is working on a follow-up to its 2005 smash hit Battlefield 2, and we're confident that the boys (and girls) at the Swedish studio are going to finally announce a sequel, to the delight of PC gamers everywhere. After all, despite being four years old this year, nothing has come close to matching Battlefield 2's wild blend of large-scale multiplayer warfare. Well, nothing except Battlefield 2142, the sci-fi follow-up, but we're hoping Battlefield 3 returns the series to the familiar and popular setting of modern warfare.
They aren't alone in wanting another Battlefield game..

Do you think this will happen ??

do you not want to see a Battlefield 3 ?
are you indifferent to the Battlefield series ?
if you found a genie in a bottle, would Battlefield 3 be your first wish ?

Vote and discuss please

Last edited by Ned; 31st January 2009 at 02:32 AM. Reason: added link

Old 31st January 2009, 03:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 5

it would be good to see the series return to a more modern look
Old 31st January 2009, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 10

Personally I think its vaporware, I haven't been able to find any indication that Dice even have it on their radar at all.

Lucky for me I play Frontlines:Fuel of War anyhow, which I'm finding to be an excellent replacement.
Old 1st February 2009, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12265

I absolutely think there will be a BF3, and will possibly, or even probably hear something about it this year. Although I don't think we will see the finished product for release anytime soon.

Main reason is that EA loves money. They've got a brilliantly successful franchise there, and they aren't about to let it slide, or to terminate it's future potential. DICE/EA have moved out a little with Battlefield: Bad Company, and Battlefield: Heroes, and I think that these titles are just part of an overall strategy. Bad Company uses the propriety Frostbite Engine, and seeing how well it has done there, it will no doubt be used for some futher upcoming titles.

Logically, the time is about right for the next installment of the "serious" Battlefield series. BF2 was released in 2005, BF2142 was relased in 2006 - its now three years later, and FPS titles are still hot property. COD4/5 have been runaway successes proving that pure shooters demanding high-end PC's are still finding a very strong market. It just doesn't make financial sense for EA to NOT make BF3.

About this time last year I shot off an email to DICE about the future of the BF series. While I don't feel I'm any sort of authority on this topic, I felt I had a good enough idea to share with them. Essentially I'd love to see the next BF game presenting the players with the option of playing in ALL of the currently represented battlefields. So you fire up a game, join a server, and you're flying Spitfires against Panzer tanks on El Alamein, next map, you're fighting in the jungles of Vietnam, next round, Modern era warfare - followed of course with the 2142 setting. It would allow servers to focus only on one era if they wanted, or to potentially allow any weapons on any maps. Versibility like we've never seen before.

However, I think that'll be just too much to hope for. So here's my real hope and ultimate expectation. BF3: Cold War.

Imagine a full conventional war game of the Battlefield style, set between USSR and the USA, air, sea and land! There's never been a better time for dynamic and exciting "war" than the eighties! Sure there wasn't any major, gameworthy theatres of war that took place during this period - but that in itself opens the possibilities up so much more! F-111's, A-10's, Mirage F1's, Apache helo's, Kilo class nuclear submarines... and some seriously cool urban warfare! All potentially to the best soundtrack ever!

Real modern warfare is too hands-off for dynamic and exciting games. It's a whole lot of fun to be dealing out the punishment, but to create a balanced battlefield, I can't think of a time when both sides weren't so evenly matched!

That's what I hope we see with the yet to be announced BF3.

Oh, and this is what I heard back from DICE last year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DICE
We can tell you that we have four games under development at DICE: Battlefield Bad Company, Mirror's Edge, Battlefield Heroes and one more project that is secret for the moment.
Old 6th February 2009, 09:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

And I just siphoned this:

Quote:
A now removed entry in the New York Comic Con show exclusives pages has revealed Electronic Arts' plans to announced a new Battlefield game at the expo.

EA has already confirmed a sequel to Battlefield: Bad Company is in the works, but this is a different title. It seems EA plans to go back again to the WWII era as the page mentioned above revealed that EA will give away "Battlefield 1943: Pacific Postcards" at 4:00 pm on Friday, February 6th.
Sauce
Old 6th February 2009, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Advisor
Guru - Post: 11700

Lurking

Yep, the rumour mill is saying that BF3 will be WWII genre, set in the pacific, perhaps.

“The Vulcan Neck Pinch is not half as powerful as the Vulcan Groin Kick, but it's more politically correct”
Old 6th February 2009, 11:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2818

Cool

NO, there will be a Battlefield 1943 though
http://www.battlefield.com/1943/

i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz | P67 pro| 4Gb G.Skill ripjawsX| HD6850
Corsair 620w | 1TB sata 3 | 22" WS LCD

Old 6th February 2009, 11:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Yeah, I should have mentioned that there is no reference there to Battlefield 3 - this looks more like an updated BF:1942.

I'm still hoping for my BF:Cold War game!
Old 6th February 2009, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 5501

Pensive

PC Gamers are getting

Battlefield 1943: Pacific

Battlefield Heroes

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

"If a job's worth doing, no further justification is required." - Alice: Madness Returns
"It takes just as much work to achieve failure as it does to achieve success."

Last edited by King_Rocket; 7th February 2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 6th February 2009, 03:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3078

Psychedelic

Wake Island gets another work out! It does look good though. Why dont they go way back and make a American Civil War FPS?