Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12th April 2009, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11366

Default Painkiller: Resurrection

edit: released

===

09-April-09

The Painkiller Series contionues with Painkiller: Resurrection sheduled for a late 2009 release. Coincidentally, this weekend marks the fifth anniversary of the original Painkiller's release.

EDIT: OFFICIAL SITE
Painkiller Resurrection

===

Painkiller was released in 2004 and is an old-school FPS... big guns, big monstrers and nice and Linear (no time for figuring out silly puzzles!)

You play as Daniel Garner, a seemingly regular guy who has just been killed in an horrific car accident. Trapped in a dark and unwelcoming world between heaven and hell, you struggle to uncover the reasons why you're been denied entry into heaven. Awaiting your purification, you must fight through an endless number of demon soldiers as you attempt to stop an imminent unholy war.

Original Painkiller Trailer.

> PAINKILLER SINGLEPLAYER DEMO | AUSGAMERS.COM
> PAINKILLER MULTIPLAYER DEMO | FILEFRONT

Painkiller: Battle out of Hell expansion pack followed the original game and picks up where Painkiller left off, Battle out of Hell continues the story with the hero, Daniel Garner, surrounded by dozens of Hell's minions. Lucifer is killed but the fight continues.

Painkiller: Overdose was released in 2007 and was originally made as a fan-made game mod but was given the OK by the original developers to be released as a stand-alone game. In Overdose, the player takes the role of Belial, a half-angel, half-demon gatekeeper. The story is said to tie wandering ends and provide a bridge between the original game and a potential sequel.

> PAINKILLER: OVERDOSE DEMO | AUSGAMERS.COM
> PAINKILLER: OVERDOSE DISCUSSION THREAD | TOG PUBLIC FPS FORUM

Painkiller: Resurrection is scheduled for release late 2009 and is said to be a sequel to the original.

The player takes on the role of Wild Bill Sherman, a CIA assassin who works for highly placed members of the government. Though he can claim to be doing some good in the world by ridding it of weapon smugglers and drug lords, his missions to assassinate his employers' political rivals are a bit less morally ambiguous and even a killer-for-hire has to have some principles.
The opening of the game shows Wild Bill in front of a church planting C4 charges on a parked car. After he wires the explosive the car's ignition, he retreats to the other side of the street to wait for his target. He soon spots him, coming down the street in his high-priced suit and followed by his hulking bodyguards. Just as the target approaches the car, Bill notices a school bus slowing down and approaching a stop just beside the car.

Knowing that killing this man will cause the death of several innocent people, Bill suffers a crisis of conscience and begins to race towards the car, screaming out a warning. But it's all too late. His mark turns the key in the ignition and the C4 goes off. The massive explosion throws Bill across the street and he dies there in the road.

Then the game begins.

Quote:
... Naturally, the single player experience is only half of the appeal of the Painkiller series. The original game was selected as the 2005 shooter for the Cyberathlete's Professional League and benefited tremendously from the PK++ mod developed by Dr. Steven Wilkins (known as "blowfish" to the Painkiller community). The new mod added a number of enhanced features to the game, including competition friendly elements like spectator mode and bots. Fortunately, all of those improvements are being included in Painkiller: Resurrection right out of the box ...
Quote:
... for the first time in the series' history, feature an entirely cooperative campaign...

SOURCE: IGN: Painkiller: Resurrection Preview
SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Painkiller_(video_game)
SOURCE: Painkiller: Official Website

It's always great to see a game with co-op support! Thumbs-Up

Last edited by Ned; 29th October 2009 at 08:23 AM. Reason: added official website
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13th April 2009, 12:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Journalist
Retired Journalist
Competent - Post: 415

Buzzed

Awesome. I loved Painkiller, but never played the expansions... you may have inspired me to go back and replay them all

Coop = win!
Old 10th May 2009, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator

I'm also a co-op fan, things are looking up if this co-op trend in the FPS genre continues
Old 10th October 2009, 11:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator

Pre-Purchase Painkiller: Resurrection from Steam and get the original Painkiller, the expansion Battle Out of Hell and Painkiller: Overdose for free!

I love playing the occassional old-school style shooters.
Personally I'm lookng forward to the new Co-op setup..
Fun times ahead
Old 11th October 2009, 03:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25532

Amused

Its great to see co-op being embraced by more and more developers.

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 12:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 7

I took a chance and got the pre-order deal. I'm having a blast playing the first Painkiller game. The play style reminds me a lot of Doom.
Old 29th October 2009, 08:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator

RELEASED!

Steam News - Painkiller: Resurrection Now Available!

Quote:
Developed by Homegrown Games with former developers and modders from the previous Painkiller games in collaboration with Studio Med-Art and with a Catholic priest advising, Painkiller Resurrection combines rock-hard, no-frills action and an exciting story with painstakingly researched details.

Contact me or post here if anyone wants a run at co-op!
Old 29th October 2009, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25532

Amused

Whats your verdict now that you've had your hands on it Ned?

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 12:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator

I'm liking the game. It's an old-school shooter all the way! Crazy weapons with crazier things to kill... and that's about it The movement flows well and is very fast. Straffe jumping fans will love it! Unfortionately the MP is buggy with lots of crashing. Also, there's a variety of versions worldwide. My Steam version is 42.6; I've seen v75.3, 75.4 and v84.4 so far. To play a multiplayer game you must match the version of the server.

I played around with the dedicated server setup and it works quite well. The test server I set up has only crashed once since being up but my client game crashes repeatidly. Apparently they're working on the crashes and version differences. Time will tell.

A verdict? This game has potential and I'm keen to still try out the co-op (feedback soon on that) but I wouldn't buy it the way it is at the moment.