The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Shooter Games: The Range (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/shooter-games-range/)
-   -   Section 8 (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/shooter-games-range/239762-section-8-a.html)

Reoh 2nd June 2009 02:46 AM

Section 8

Has anybody heard of this? I came across a really nice looking cinematic which gives some clues to how the game "might" play. There's a beta sign up (north-american and european) currently showing on the website, not sure if its active or not. Will have to do some research onto this.

The basics, it appears to be some sort of humans vs aliens sci-fi FPS game. Players have a powersuit a bit like Crysis in that it protects you, seems to have some sort of shield.

Nice video at this link
AusGamers Videos - Section 8 Cinematic Trailer - AusGamers.com

Oh and here's the main website
Join Section 8

Wikipedia has a lot of info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_8_(video_game)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wikipedia
Section 8 features in-depth character customization. Players are able to choose not only their primary and secondary weapon choices, such as assault rifles, pistols, shotguns, and sniper rifles, but from items called “Active Gear:” grenades, explosives, knives, shoulder-mounted mortar launchers and healing units.[7] The player is also able to create their own player-class through various stackable modules that increase the player’s speed, stealth, or the regeneration of the limited-use jetpack. Excessive damage endured by the player to certain parts of their body, such as their legs, arms, head, or chest, may disable or hinder the use of these enhancements.[8]

Players will be able to deploy a variety of vehicles in the game, including heavy-armor suits and a four-person tank.[9] A variety of turrets, healing supply depots, and sensor arrays that place enemies on a map will be available and can be purchased within the game using “Requisition Points.”[10]

A feature called “Dynamic Combat Missions,” or DCMs, will be featured in the game. These have been described as a meta-game within the game itself and can be activated mid-combat by the player.[11] DCMs reward the player with Requisition Points when completed successfully. Some DCMs will include protecting a convoy, destroying a bridge, or assassinating an enemy VIP.[12]

I just wish it had been section 9! ;)

Ned 2nd June 2009 10:57 PM

Unreal Engine 3, that's certainly a great start :)

Reoh 17th June 2009 01:13 AM

Some gameplay footage (singleplayer, I think)

Section 8 Video Game, Exclusive Jump Around Gameplay | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

===

Bored Reoh dug up some gameplay on Youtube :)

[edit]

And another, looks like these were recorded on consoles

From what I have seen, you pick where you want to spawn and "drop in" from orbit on that location. There looked to be a few different handheld weapons, including pistols as a backup weapon. Your suits have some abilities, shielding you from damage, brief jump packs for super jumps, and a travel mode that lets you run around at great speed (and tackle people).

Spectre8 17th June 2009 01:14 PM

At work so can't watch the vids - but saw someone do a brief synopsis of the gameplay and called it very Tribes-like.... this can only be a good thing if they can pull it off!! :) And it's a really really cool name! :D

Reoh 18th June 2009 05:48 PM

Expected "August"

Pre-order and get shiny special armor!

Quote:

Reserve Section 8 and receive GameStop exclusive Captain's Armor for both Section 8 and their adversaries – the Arm of Orion. If you choose to play as a Captain of Section 8, you'll proudly wear the Imperial Eagle of the USIF on your shoulder plate; as a Captain of the Arm of Orion, you'll stand out with the rampant Lion of Orion emblazoned on your helmet and gold trim on your power armor. If only we could wear this to prom, we'd get all the ladies.
Section 8's Shiny Pre-Order Armor

Shayd 27th June 2009 03:22 AM

Sector 8 - Fileplanet Beta

For those that might be interested:
Section 8 on FilePlanet

How can you not love jumping out of a perfectly good transport at 15,000 ft and crashing into your combat zone?!:eek::twisted:

Reoh 28th June 2009 07:29 PM

*mutters under breath US and Can only pay to beta*

Jigoku 28th June 2009 07:35 PM

I've always wanted to play a game where I could play as a MASH corporal whose antics involve finding the most creative way to get discharged from the army for being mentally unfit for service! Those gameplay vids don't seem to indicate this portion of the game at all ...

/confused ...

sschrupp 2nd July 2009 05:41 AM

Hypothetically speaking, would a person under NDA be able to say for instance, "SWEET! This game totally rocks!", or would that be against NDA? *cough* Sorry, something in my throat.

Trimethicon 6th July 2009 03:04 PM

I loaded this game up this morning, I'm in the beta, I've been playing it all day - its a blast.

If you take a mix of; Tribes + Halo + Battlefield 2 = Section 8. Now all of those games are classics, I'm not comparing the overall games but just the flavoring from each.

I have some pro's and con's, but there is an NDA and will withhold them, but its a lot of fun.