Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25th June 2009, 10:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1494

Angelic

-Your favorite FPS muliplayer games and why
I would have to say Combat Arms at this time and place, I always felt like such a crap player in BF2142 and BF2 because I moved like a retard and I couldn't understand how easily I die. I now know that the combat is differently paced in varying games. Combat Arms is by far the fastest moving FPS that I know of (COD4 might be fast too but imo is still shades slower paced than CA) and is basically in touch with my reflexes (I'm suited to this game in other words). COD4 would be on my list of great games I loved, Crysis was fine but to be honest I don't really dig jungle warfare games, Farcry 2 was as boring and repetitive as hell, I love urban warfare.

-What FPS multiplayers you're currently playing the most and why?
Combat Arms (as above)

-What FPS multiplayer has disapointed you the most and why?
They all actually disappoint me because of one underlying thing, hacking. I can't stand the way people justify cheating in online games and the reasons for doing it. TBH I could live with that, but its the hiding that fact from everyone, refusing to acknowledge they hack even when it's clear.

The world can fit everyone in it, even hackers, but they shouldn't be able to cross over into my part of it, a server for hackers, and a server for non-hackers.

Combat Arms I also have a moderately larger disappointment but only from the way the product is marketed. I detest "free games" that offer content for sale, so that some people benefit from money to burn. I would prefer a equal opportunity game with a monthly subscriptions fee instead of one that charges nothing but has content for sale for another market.

-What do you want in future titles?
Three things:
- Monthly charge service that is equal opportunist (no premium content that can be bought for live currency, one service for all.
- Actively managed blocking system, more important than free/added content (a subscription service will hack cheaters by a fair margin, as IMO the free service Combat Arms has makes it easier to do this)
- Communities broken up by age, the kiddie communities are growing at a huge pace, the only way to protect a mature community is to separate it.

What is my dream FPS?
It doesn't have to be linear and should be absolutely open ended. Think of it as a Grand Theft Auto for FPS. You have a character growth system which unlocks equipment or the ability to use said equipment (much like Combat Arms but instead of a rank, its more of a level increase). You build up to certain levels (say level20) and it unlocks things such as driving tanks, or (level 40) unlocks flying abilities with aircraft or helicopters.
As I said it's open ended, so you have a big massive MMO type world where you can freely drive around in amongst npc traffic or walk around streets and pick up missions (like quests) as they become available in a linear fashion (to assist with your leveling, call it PVE grinds if you will). The difference being is that the world is full of FPS players that could surprise you and kill you as you do your mission.
There would be safe areas for your faction, like for instance you could have control over a city block or city where you have static npc guards guarding the area or you could use real people to do this. There would be areas that are nothing but a battlefield so you could compete as if its all out war, or you could zone into instance based missions (which is where static matches come into play).

The idea would be to have thousands of things to do other than just the simple kill grinds.
ViperX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25th June 2009, 10:54 AM   #22 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25502

Amused

Viper One there's a few MMO FPS' that are coming out soon (Global Agenda, CrimeCraft and All Points Bulletin) that you might like to check out. There is info on them in the Realms. I think they're third player shooters though, not first.

MMORPG Games: The Realms - The Older Gamers Forums

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 12:49 PM   #23 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1494

Angelic

yeah a friend of mine has beta to global agenda, hes gonna tell me how it goes, but I'm thinking more along the lines of modern warfare, i.e. the US gets invaded or a Middle Eastern backstory even.
ViperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 06:00 PM   #24 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25502

Amused

I would enjoy that too, although I'd prefer they were 'imaginary' countries. Otherwise you have too many other influences or connotations to the game that aren't necessary.

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 10:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 545

Chatty

-Your favorite FPS muliplayer games and why?
Probably my all time fave FPS games are Battlefield 2 and 2142 just because of the depth of the game and how you always find new places to hide and attack from. Also I enjoy the vehicles haha. CA is another game i dont really mind, once i get passed being yelled at by everyone when i supposedly hack (even though the person doing the yelling got something like 350 ping)

-What FPS multiplayers you're currently playing the most and why?
Currently playing Battlefield 2142 and CA and every now and then I play some CS.

-What FPS multiplayer has disappointed you the most and why?
All of them have disappointed me in some way, whether its the lack of conversation on teams, underage kids cracking it when they get killed or cant aim for the life of them and blame their lack of any actual skills on hackers. Seriously its annoying and it makes me question what the point is when your there to play and have a good time and you dont need some prepubescent kid swearing his head off at ya on his mic when your trying to throw a nade at a group of enemies and he runs straight at them trying to get a knife kill! Another thing that dissapoints is the lack of teamwork in some games, mainly speaking of BF2 and BF2142 that is.

-What do you want in future titles?
I want a game where its open world and you can hide and attack and suprise enemies and need more cuning and skill rather then firepower and a brat on he headset ready to blame everyone else for his lack of skills.

I want a game where everyone actually talks on the team and not just use the quick responses, talk tell us where you reckon the enemy is and actually discuss tactics on whether to attack and catch them off hand or if theres too many of them hide and scale your way around them.

There needs to be vehicles in the game but they cant all be the same thing like for instance if your in BF2 or BF2142 lately it seems you cant do squat against people who sit around in the combat chopper thing trying to rack in points. I want it so that you can do damage...if you hit certain spots on the chopper it should do certain things like leak full or jam the weapons or something and force it to return to the main base for repairs and the vehicles should carry more units so that you can work together better instead of having 2 guys running to a jeep and a 3rd person spawing next to it taking it and driving off without the other 2.

Squad gameplay should be encouraged overly and im not talking the "hey we all in a squad we will all go our seperate directions but so long as he squad leader alive we will just spawn on him" im talking about the working together to take out the enemy working as a team covering each other and not leaving someone behind.
What is my dream FPS?
My dream FPS is an openworld game where you can jump into the game get kitted up and get out there without having barriers to stop you and being encouraged to work as a group to overtake an objective and beat the enemy, without having someone yelling about hackers and whatnot.

P.S. Sorry about all the kiddie bashing it just really annoys me because i ended up being abused and had about 8 kick votes against me in BF2142 after i shot down an enemy chopper and the kid cracked it because he said he was shooting at it and i stole his kill...when i was on the AA gun and he was using a sniper rifle.
ColdCamV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 12:54 PM   #26 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12265

ColdCam - I'd strongly suggest you check out the mod for BF2 - Project Reality. It's all the good parts of BF2, without the kids, and without the the chopper whoring. The mod team have stripped out all elements that unbalance the game, and introduced more aspects that make it a level battlefield for all - so long as the team works as team!!

GSA and BigD have teamed up to provide some local (aussie) servers, one of which will kick people not playing as a team! This is for the hardcore, and if people whine and bitch about anyone - they're booted. It's harder, more challenging and more rewarding than ANY fps I've played! There's a very steep learning curve, and no matter how l33t you might be in BF2/2142 you'll need to squad up just to learn and keep alive.

It's all about good communications, and solid military strategic movement. Give it a crack
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 01:19 PM   #27 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 545

Chatty

Sounds good haha, I will give it a shot when my computer gets fixed up because my brother thought it was ok to open up my computer and give parts of it to his mate coz he asked for them.
ColdCamV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 04:01 PM   #28 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12265

????

That's grounds for manslaughter isn't it???

Or at the very least a new video card! BTW - a system that will run BF2 nicely will often struggle with PR. Main reason is that the standard map size for BF2 and 2142 is around 4 square miles, with only the central area being populated with statics. PR opens the play area to the full size of the map - and in a few instances, expands it up to 16 square miles!!!!

Basically there's a whole lot more of everything there, so it does take a good bit of grunt to run it properly. But trust me, it's well worth it!!!
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 07:45 PM   #29 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4519

Cheerful

I am, at heart, a whinging bitch. As such I'll add to this thread by telling you what I don't want...

I don't want another FPS trying to be an RPG-lite. I'll be ****ed if I can work out why its a good idea to reward people who play more with the best weapons. Stop and think about it for a couple of seconds.

Unless you're on welfare or aged 15 its impossible to put in the requisite hours to "level up" and get access to the good stuff. Heaven forbid you should want to start playing a game some time after launch.

You jump on the nearest server and not only are you penalised for being a learner (as is natural and good) but the more experienced players have all the shiny toys. Now I'm not some complete cack-handed noob (nor am I within sight of being leet) but you're making it a little tougher to expect me to take out guys who know the game like the back of their hands when they're armoured like a tank and packing weapons of mass destruction.

I'm sick of catching someone by surprise and putting three clips of ammo up their arse only to have them leisurely turn around and drop me with a withering stare. (You can unlock "withering stare" once you're ranked Rear Admiral - three months /played required.)

And then the ****ers always teabag you too...

I have two boys under two. I have, at best, an hour or so every now and again to jump on and have some fun. I'll be ****ed if I want to spend 3/4 of that time looking at the respawn screen because I'm repeatedly arse-***** by 13 year olds with no commitments and slack parents.

Memo to FPS developers: develop FPSs. If you have a hard-on for RPGs **** off and get a job at Blizzard.

PS: Meh, since when have the nanny-state swear filters been in place?

Last edited by rubicon; 26th August 2009 at 07:47 PM.
rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 12:29 AM   #30 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11366

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I don't want another FPS trying to be an RPG-lite. I'll be ****ed if I can work out why its a good idea to reward people who play more with the best weapons. Stop and think about it for a couple of seconds.
That's something I've also never understood That plus the whole stat-noob epidemic is just meh.
For me, I sometimes feel as though the golden years of FPS gaming are gone.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote