Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 8th July 2009, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lead Administrator
All Knowing - Post: 17406

Default So what do people think of ARMA II?

Just wondering what people think of ARMA II.

I lashed out and spent the US$45 for the game over steam. Like ARMA before it, there was an expectation for a truly great game.

I was looking forward to great visuals, and immersive game play. As it was a new generation along from ARMA, I was also expecting some of the lag and jitterieness of the original would have been ironed out.

I have played about 5 hours now, both single player, and co-op on line.

Single player is ok. At the default settings I had to turn off the AA filtering as everything looked blurry, a bit like I had just come home from a bender. I think it will be a game that I will play through in SP mode.

When it came to online gameplay I guess the word I would use is dissapointing.

I am running on a system with two Dual core 3 Ghz cpu's and 4 GB of memory. My vid card is only a 3870, but seems to cope well in single player. I also sit on a 17Mbps down and 850Kbps up link (Measured).

I was playing on the internode server both when nearly full and when there were only about 8-10. It was jittery, and there was often tearing on the screen which I had not seen in single player.

Trying to target the enemy who were teliport moving across the screen was not enjoyable.

So the main reason for the purchase, online co-operative or VS mode looks like it will go the way of the original ARMA. Yes it still has its place, but to say the experience was disappointing is somewhat of an understatement.

I would be interested in hearing what others think of the game, particularly in online play.

Cheers, Ulric.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers,
immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. - Noam Chomsky
Ulric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8th July 2009, 08:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 731

Yeehaw

*steam buyer as well*
The SP & MP sides are very different kettle of fish ...whilst the SP side i can get a constant 60+ fps at 1400 x 990 at max everything with 10000 view distance...the MP side is a buggey 10- 30 FPS . *view distance is dictated by the server , most default to 800 - 1200 metres ...impossible to aircraft dogfight..& a real bastard to kill helos floating about outside of the view range *
As of yet..there's no MAX PING player kick for servers as of yet..so..if you on a rare server & you end up with ppl from Germany playing or.the USA.., toss in some AI & the server quickly cracks the shits & sulks. *needs to be patched*
As a sniper at heart ..i find this view restriction most distressing as... as ..any AI with an Ak-74 can anti snipe me just as fast as i can snipe them ...gets very frustrating.
Also..the fact most servers dont run out past 800 meters view distance..means spotting incoming enemy armour & troops makes setting up an active defence line nearly impossible.
The view distance ...massive frame rate hit *in SP you can have max graphics ..max view distance..& 1000+ Ai ..& get 60+ fps* yet in MP ..im forced back to normal settings , 4000 view distance..& once you got 30+ ai..my frames drop* & the dodgey Aimbot AI...are my main gripes about the game. patch theses & id be a happier man.

Also..ive fire a real stock dragonov with its orignal scope *so i was told* & it was adjustible...yet in the game ...not 1 USSR snipers rifle has a zoom in scope... puzzling ...also..the odd bug..if you steal an enemy vechile & some weapons ...& you kill bad guys...you get a negitive score..becuase the game thinks your USSR made equipment..and isnt ment to be firing on USSR troops..so..your lovely 30+ kills end up being -30 ..if you are a little to effective with them.
Most off the things that bug me...are patchible ..so..heres hopeing.
But there are moments i sit there & go...thats too cool.

1: Hold Map ..devils castle ..sniping from ontop of the tower ..minding my own businiess killing AI & humans at 800+ *gamespace server was reset to 1000 metres view on my recomendation* ...when the Mi-8 transport helo from the enemy camp got a little to close ... 1xM107 round through the cockpit removed his glass window..& tanother M017 shot killed the pilot...i was rather chuffed with my self until i realised my error..
You see..the helo rotated & veered towards the tower ...i bolted for the stairs but was to no avail..as the helo slammed into the side of the tower *of which 60% vanished in lovely big BOOM* ... i was still on the stairway running & of which was attached to the 60% of the tower that went BOOM.
I was dead..but laughing so hard..i wasnt upset ...but..the tower was now a wreck & so was my sniping spot.

2: Same map ..but this time i accidently grabbed the attention of the AA mounted gun on the back of a truck ...its fire rates is scary to say the least ...after shooting out the tyres..since i couldnt hit the gunner..as trees were obscureing my view.....he worked out were i was & proceeded to remove said trees * everything has Hitpoints..inclucding trees ...so shoot at them long enough they will fall down* ...he must of removed a good 6-7 tress b4 he spotted me legging it for a rock near by ...but the fact you could cut down a forest to kill some 1..was a dam good laugh.

But those were just to highlights that remind me of some of the things..you just cant find in other games...& makes me beg for a patch..to correct a few bugs.

Last edited by UN1TISGOD; 8th July 2009 at 08:14 PM.
UN1TISGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 263

Bugs aside, being pounded by suppressing fire from a BTR so that its neighbouring squad of infantry can flank me is scarily awesome.

Demoriel - Guardian Tank || Jettie - Commando Heals || Archas - Sentinel DPS
Nefarious*au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 08:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeehaw

Found an odd effect/bug last night ...went for a swim with a M107 .....2 minutes swimming.. *was trying to flank around the back of a well defended HOLD point & snipe them all to DOOOOOOOOM * but got out of the water...no weapons or ammo..its like it all dropped..or bugged out ....i ended up sitting behind a small hut in a near there enemy flag on the HOLD map..& giving a running voice commentary mocking the enemy Humans looking for the guy capping there flag with no guns. was lols..i offerd the 2 humans candy.
(^_^)

But i agree.the suppression fire detail is annoying..but good ..lol

Last edited by UN1TISGOD; 8th July 2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 9th July 2009, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

It was mick looking for you! I was running around charlie getting dozens of AI kills!!

And when I did respawn I came straight to you and sat down for a lovely cup 'o' tea!!

Old 9th July 2009, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25502

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarious*au View Post
It was mick looking for you! I was running around charlie getting dozens of AI kills!!

And when I did respawn I came straight to you and sat down for a lovely cup 'o' tea!!
That reminds me of the old Mechwarrior game. The original one where you'd run at the enemy for 4-5 mins before you reached them. Could go make a sandwich and come back etc. Thats until I learnt that if I hit the "turbo" button for 0.8seconds then I'd suddenly shave off a few minutes of that run. =P

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 03:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Company Commander
World of Tanks
Deadly - Post: 2100

Cynical

Had some sneaky AI in a coop last night, he crawled into a mash tent and took out everyone trying to use it, think he got about 6 before it was figured out.
Old 9th July 2009, 04:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25502

Amused

If I made a joke about "That'll teach you not to mine/bomb the MASH tent" would it be considered a Geneva Conventions violation?

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeehaw

I love joining an empty server ...grabbing the M107 & getting to a nice posse
**For** Scout & Reconnaissance position , at a lofty altitude above sea level ...then have humans joining...then chuckle as the enemy Humans spend the entire game trying to hunt you down...& ignoring the whole capture Point X Y Z .
Its moments like these...i enjoy this game.
Old 11th July 2009, 05:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

I had my first crack at the campaign last night. Co-op with a mate. It is awesome. Everything the campaign in the first ARMA wanted to be and much, much more.