Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31st October 2009, 04:10 AM   #21 (permalink)
Average - Post: 202

Fine

I would like to suggest that people join the Steam TOG group and the XFire Borderlands Community instead of micro-managing their own friendslist.
This way you can communicate with everyone in-game and setup games more easily. Besides not having to micromanage your own friendslist every time new members are added.

Just an idea, though.
Yskonyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31st October 2009, 11:39 AM   #22 (permalink)
Pink Predator
Ace - Post: 9311 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yskonyn View Post
I would like to suggest that people join the Steam TOG group and the XFire Borderlands Community instead of micro-managing their own friendslist.
This way you can communicate with everyone in-game and setup games more easily. Besides not having to micromanage your own friendslist every time new members are added.

Just an idea, though.

You still need the person on your ingame friends list to invite them to your game though...as far as I know.
Old 31st October 2009, 10:11 PM   #23 (permalink)

Fine

Sure, but its far easier to do it one at a time than to first have to fill your friendslist, right? If someone wants to play they drop you a note in either Steam or Xfire and you add them to your list pronto!

I am using the DVD retail version of Borderlands and I have added it to my games list in Steam, however when I start the game I only see the XFire in-game service pop up, not the Steam In-Game community system...
Does anyone know how to get that to work on a non Steam gameversion? Or does the system work anyway, it just doesn't show the popup when it starts?

Lugu Berus the Worker Greng Berus the Bowyer
Old 1st November 2009, 03:24 AM   #24 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7437

Yeehaw

It should work anyway as long as you launch the game form a shortcut in your steam games list. Hit Shift + TAB to bring up the in-game overlay.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 08:00 AM   #25 (permalink)
Division Captain
Team Fortress 2
Lethal - Post: 6010

Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yskonyn View Post
Sure, but its far easier to do it one at a time than to first have to fill your friendslist, right? If someone wants to play they drop you a note in either Steam or Xfire and you add them to your list pronto!

I am using the DVD retail version of Borderlands and I have added it to my games list in Steam, however when I start the game I only see the XFire in-game service pop up, not the Steam In-Game community system...
Does anyone know how to get that to work on a non Steam gameversion? Or does the system work anyway, it just doesn't show the popup when it starts?
If you've linked the retail exe to steam and used the shortcut in the steam games list to start then steam will work in game,,, xfire could help for newer players adding a long list of players to their friends list...when I first started up BL and logged in my list was populated with gamespy friends from Unreal (ned and plebc)...adding a long list of players would be easier out of game as you won't need to alt-tab to check weird spelling (yes you Jig)
Old 1st November 2009, 09:44 AM   #26 (permalink)

Fine

Tried again today, but Steam completely hangs when I try to start the shortcut. The process it started in Windows Taskmanager shows as SteamApp xxxx, where xxxx is a number. Does this mean my Steam thinks it needs to start the Steam version of the game? Which I do not have... All I did was add a non-steam game to the list like you normally do...

When Steam hangs, it cannot be terminated, not even by process...

Lugu Berus the Worker Greng Berus the Bowyer
Old 4th November 2009, 04:46 PM   #27 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4575

Fine

Xfire is great but sadly I can only be in 5 groups....
Old 5th November 2009, 06:41 AM   #28 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 269

Confused

Old 5th November 2009, 08:46 AM   #29 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3784 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Buzzed

Hahaha, love it Bails! Hopefully they'll get these issues sorted in a patch soon, they'd be mad not to.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish
Getafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 09:53 AM   #30 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12259

Spot on Bails - I spent about two hours yesterday trying to get this working with Stalin - and no luck whatsoever. Even tried Hamachi... nope.

Once again we see why developers prefer coding for console over PC. When there's only one (or two if you're doing both PS3 and X360) way of connecting, and one system for online management, it makes things that much simpler.

However that's absolutely no excuse for completely dropping the ball when it comes to PC's. This is a brilliant game, and by all accounts co-op is even better... but I still don't know first hand!

What they've ended up with is a poorly implemented system, that appears to have not been tested at all. I'm a well seasoned pc gamer from way back - and even I'm struggling with this... how is anyone new to real gaming meant to cope?? Not good enough.
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote