Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28th October 2009, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7437

Yeehaw
Default [Borderlands] Getting Co-Op Games off the ground!

Borderlands is out (for some of us) or will be out this coming Friday and like all new games there's usually a few hurdles to jump over when getting games organised with other TOG members. This is a quick guide to try and make it easier to get up and running.

1. Join the TOG Borderlands Steam Group

See this thread for details: http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/...eam-group.html

If you bought the retail DVD version you can still use the Steam service with your game. If you don't have steam at all you can download and install it from Welcome to Steam then you can add Borderlands (or any other game) to this list by viewing your games list and clicking the "Add non steam game" button and browsing to the Borderlands.exe file (in your game install folder look in the Binaries folder).

Now when you launch Borderlands from your steam games list you'll get access to the steam overlay in game and can chat to other steam users from there!

2. Get a microphone or headset

Co-op games aren't much fun without voice communication. If you don't have a microphone and you really want to get the most out of Co-Op with Borderlands, buy one at your nearest vending machine today!

Once you do get a mic, don't be shy! Yelling and screaming into your microphone while drunk is encouraged.

3. Disable in-game voice

In-game voice is currently very poorly done. There's no push-to-talk feature (it's always on) and there's no option in game to disable your microphone from within the game. The devs have said a patch will address this very soon but in the mean time I recomend you disable the in game voice feature altogther and use an external voice service instead (I have details on that service in the next setp). To disable in game voice we simply have to make a quick edit to one of the game config files. Browser to:

My Documents\My Games\Borderlands\WillowGame\Config

Eedit the file WillowEngine.ini

Search (Ctrl+F) for the value bHasVoiceEnabled and change:

bHasVoiceEnabled=True

to ...

bHasVoiceEnabled=False

4. Setup Mumble Voice Service

Mr Wizard, a fellow TOGer runs a Mumble Voice server that we can use for Voice communication both in and out of game (yes, he's awesome, send him love and cookies).

To use it you'll need to download the Mumble Voice client and put in the details of his server to connect to it. Details here: Voice Comms - Mumble - Work in progress!

When you setup mumble it's best to use the Push-To-Talk feature.

I also highly recommend you fire up mumble and connect to the server before you start Borderlands. It's so much easier to oganise a game over voice than it is once you're in game, and if you start Mumble before Borderlands you'll also see Mumble's in-game overlay (overlay can be moved/resized/recolored/fonts changed in the advanced config).

There's a Borderlands channel setup already. To join it just double click. There are also 2 sub-channels in there to use once you've organised a game with some people you might want to jump into the Alpha or Bravo sub-channels if the main room is busy with people organizing games.

Mr Wizards Mumble server has a limit of 20 concurrent users. It's currently used for TF2, L4D and now Borderlands along with other personal projects he has going on so it may fill up during peak times. I'm currently trying to organize a hosted Mumble server for other divisions so this setup may change.

5. Post your GameSpy Username

The game users GameSpy's network service for setting up online games. So to play you have to login with a GameSpy account. If you don't have one already follow the instructions in game then post your Username in this thread:

http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/...usernames.html

6. Add Friends In Game

Using that thread where everyone has posted their names you can build up a healthy list of players.

7. Try not to invite people at random if they are already in a game

Invite requests in this game throw up a UI window when someone is already playing in a game. If someone just wants to play solo or already has a group game going having this window spam their screen ever few seconds is going to tick them right off, so please ask first (via steam chat or voice coms) before sending invites to anyone who is already playing.

8. Looting Guideline

Loot is shared, it's up to the players to sort out who should be picking up what gun.

The bet way to avoid any looting issues is to:
A) Communicate! This is why voice is so important. Let people know what kind of guns you're looking for: "I need a better sniper, if you see one tell me!"
B) Don't grab stuff straight away. Once you pick it up other people can't look at the stats. It's not going to disappear for an hour so just leave it on the ground until the fight is over so people can walk over and view the stats.

Know your rarity colours:
The colours for loot represent how rare they are. Everyone wants the rare stuff. The order of colours is as follows:

White = Common
Green = Uncommon
Blue = Rare
Purple = Very Rare
Orange= Legendary

In the early game (level 1 to 12) you'll only be seeing white and green with a few blue loot drops. Whites are pretty much free for all, but you should discuss any green or blue drops with other players before picking them up. After level 12 the greens are also fairly common drops and most people will be hunting for blue or purple gear. However, if someone has said "My shogun is ass, so need a good one", and you see one, tell them about it.

9. Organize the person playing with the lowest level character to host the game

The way Bordelrands does Co-Op is that everyone in game plays in the Host's game world. This means that if the Host is playing a Higher level character than everyone else they will have most likely progressed further in various quest chains and thus lower level character will get left behind. For this reason always try to get the lowest level character to be the host.

If you're having trouble hosting games see the other threads in the Borderlands forum here about tips and tweaks.

10. For the host: Set objectives!

If you are the game host, you control the current quest objective and compass waypoint that everyone else sees in game and on their map. Make sure you set the objective by opening your quest log (L) and clicking to set a dot next to the current quest you want everyone to move towards.

Last edited by Drac; 28th October 2009 at 04:33 PM.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28th October 2009, 04:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

Yay. Level 7 and up for gaming tonight!

No aversion to starting newbies either...
Old 28th October 2009, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 535

Cynical

Quote:
2. Get a microphone or headset

Co-op games aren't much fun without voice communication. If you don't have a microphone and you really want to get the most out of Co-Op with Borderlands, buy one at your nearest vending machine today!

Once you do get a mic, don't be shy! Yelling and screaming into your microphone while drunk is encouraged.
Just ask Pants
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 09:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25469

Amused

Great post mate.

Make sure to check stats on white items, some of them are a lot better than others (even blues and greens) although thats pretty rare. NOT a bug, I guess they just want to keep us on our toes.

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 12:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7437

Yeehaw

Yeah, they seriously need to add an item level stat too.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 12:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1775

Relaxed

See ya's Friday night i guess...&

Give us poor buggers that have to wait an honest review please.....

Last edited by wHiTeRaSTa; 29th October 2009 at 01:24 AM.
wHiTeRaSTa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1798

Angry

Drac..a question. Is there merit in working through the first few levels on ones own to
a.) get a basic understnading of the game
b.) be familiar with all the intricisies (sorry i cant spell) of playing
c.) save a hell of a lot of pain for those of you who have had the last few days to get a feel for what is going on.
I am making the assumption that borderlands, unlike L4D which can be played by just hopping in needs a little more work so to speak

"Put your head between your knees and kiss your ass goodbye!!" ......
Milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Division Captain
Team Fortress 2
Lethal - Post: 6006

Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac View Post
Gee...I don't remember playing a game with you yet Drac...but we must have

@milt

Probably a good idea to jump in single and play to at least level 5 (when you get your special ability)

That way you have got a feel for the game and probably picked a semi-decent weapon...

Played for an hour this morning and got to level 8 and picked up a blue pistol
Old 29th October 2009, 04:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 355

Goofy

Seriously the things that I feel need to be added/changed are

1. A loot box so you can store items you've collected

2. The ability to buy all the ammo you need in one hit

As for the game, it's a straight out shooter with Diablo item drops. The fps aspect doesn't feel as fluid as say TF2, but after a while you get used to it.

You have the choice of run and gun or slow and steady. Slow and steady is far safer as the run and gun approach can get you killed easily. There are weapons that facilitate both styles style of play, with pistols, shotguns, machine pistols, etc for up close. As well as longer range weapons such as sniper rifles, assault rifles, rocket launchers, etc.

You'll have to be used to twitch gaming as you really need to rely on the trusty old strafe against a few mobs. Plus you'll find the "RUN AWAY" and fire tactics are very useful against scarily large and powerful mobs.

Also the cars are quite fun too... They are controlled by moving your mouse and using your "forward button". You can lock onto targets with your space bar and just race around in circles lobbing rockets, or just run them over which splats into uber gibbage all over your car and the road

Thats pretty much a rundown on what to expect
Old 29th October 2009, 06:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3023

geez, all i need now is next months quota
Benda is offline   Reply With Quote