Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31st October 2009, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1822

Default [Borderlands] Mordecai Multiplayer

Just a bit of advice for people looking to take the Hunter as a multiplayer character. Although he has an emphasis in ranged sniping, you often find multiplayer is chaotic and overwhelming. You rarely get the chance to sit back and pick off targets. The movement makes it hard to draw a bead and any sort of latency is also detrimental. All that said, a sniper rifle is standard kit and you'll get the chance to use it in MP, just not as often as you think.

Pistols is the other way to go with the hunter and, despite a fairly unimpressive begining, they really start to impress when revolvers start turning up. Your standard repeater with a nice elemental mod is a great utility sidearm. Shock ones are great for reducing shields for your allies or fire for spreading around a lot of dot damage.

Revolvers are where the awesome comes in. There is a huge variety here. Ive had revolvers with more single shot damage than a sniper rifle that also had high accuracy and a good zoom. It was a perfect mid range combat sniping weapon. Ive had another revolver that fired 8 shots every pull of the trigger and was more effective than a shotgun due to the low spread. Both of these guns had 2 shot mags but the reload is very very fast.

The other advantage of pistols is that you have two forms of ammo to collect and the revolvers above were both very ammo efficient. You can pistol skill from both so you tend to have a very high weapon skill for your level. Its much easier to use pistols in a crazy encounter.

As for skills, survival is as important as damage. Gun crazy is awesome particularly with big shot revolvers. Riotous remedy will keep your health topped up and is great for single player as well. After that Id recommend heading for Relentless or switching to sniper skills to pickup Tresspass which is an awesome talent vs later game tough mobs.

Feel free to add other hunter tips.

Old 1st November 2009, 12:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25473

Amused

Remember to throw your bird.

Oh and yeah, those revolvers are pretty sweet. Had my first drop last night (for a friend).

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3619

I was firmly in the "repeater" camp until I scored a revolver that fires explosive rounds - now I'm sold on revolvers!

And yes, as Reoh says we have to remember to throw Bloodwing - something I keep forgetting to do...

Any favourites for Bloodwing's elemental damage? I accidentally threw away my incendiary damage so I'm currently left with corrosive and shock...
Old 1st November 2009, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Division Captain
Team Fortress 2
Lethal - Post: 6012

Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
I was firmly in the "repeater" camp until I scored a revolver that fires explosive rounds - now I'm sold on revolvers!

And yes, as Reoh says we have to remember to throw Bloodwing - something I keep forgetting to do...

Any favourites for Bloodwing's elemental damage? I accidentally threw away my incendiary damage so I'm currently left with corrosive and shock...
when you pick up an elemental, just use it...don't need to carry it around...they stack and you can choose which one on the skill tree page...just click on the elemental symbol top right
Old 2nd November 2009, 01:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixa... View Post
when you pick up an elemental, just use it...don't need to carry it around...they stack and you can choose which one on the skill tree page...just click on the elemental symbol top right
Thanks, sorted - except for the fact that you can't tell before-hand what level the element is 'til you try to "use" it and are told you can't. Grrr...
Old 2nd November 2009, 10:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reoh View Post
Remember to throw your bird.
heh, level 19 and I've only just started using it due to running out of ammo at certain times

Eve Online: Valen Zalkos | Telephone Service BFBC2: B3N1C10 My Flickr Link
Benicio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 11:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7437

Yeehaw

If you spec into the Rouge tree you'll find yourself using it a lot more. I use it as my main heal and it works really well.

It can also be used to attack enemies that are out of your line of sight which no other character can do.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 03:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1822

The bloodwing is incredible when specced. Did some PvP vs Mixa and Sinistar and Mixa's bloodwing would one shot us quite handily. Its a cruise missle. I dont like cooldown abilities much but its certainly a strong tree.
Old 2nd November 2009, 05:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Division Captain
Team Fortress 2
Lethal - Post: 6012

Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bochaba View Post
The bloodwing is incredible when specced. Did some PvP vs Mixa and Sinistar and Mixa's bloodwing would one shot us quite handily. Its a cruise missle. I dont like cooldown abilities much but its certainly a strong tree.
Now that I re-speced Rouge, BloodWing is doing 8x3000+ per use
Old 3rd November 2009, 04:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pink Predator
Ace - Post: 9313 TOG Gold Level Supporter

How do you respecc?