Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 2nd November 2009, 04:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1825

Default [Borderlands] Firefly (Siren Subclass)

Ive been really happy with this build and Id recommend it for both multiplayer and singleplayer. My Firefly is level 40 atm and finds most content very easy (except fire immune badmmuthas )

Basically it's an elemental siren with incendiary weapons and a class mod that give +incendiary and bonuses to skills like; spark, diva and phoenix. Skill progression is Spark -> quicksilver -> intuition ->phoenix -> diva -> inner glow -> girl power -> mind games.

I played around with a lot of weapons but settled into 90% sniper/ 10 % rocket launcher. Both have 4x incendiary. Due to the skills and mods, incendiary nearly always goes off and causes a large explosion of fire. This happens even if you hit the ground and, because the majority of damage comes from fire procs (weapon and pheonix skill), you can use a sniper rifle in close fighting and it works well. Hitting them is a bonus . This build tends to kill badass/badmuthas of an equal level with 3-6 sniper shots (non crit).

In multiplayer, the XP bonus from intuition is a nice and you can sit out of combat and do insane amounts of fire damage with the sniper rifle. In really big packs and indoors, a 4x incend rocket launcher that fires 3 shots per rocket will lay waste. Phoenix really helps ammo problems in multiplayer.

For fire immune bosses a nice shock SMG with a +shock or a +SMG damage mod will get you by. Its also handy to bring out for any mobs with big shields.

Last edited by bochaba; 2nd November 2009 at 04:07 PM.
bochaba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22nd January 2010, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Average - Post: 240

Default Catalyst (Siren specialization)

Heh, I've had this post open in my browser since November with the intent to reply to it.

I think elemental damage is nice, but I went for the pure phasewalk build:

Borderlands: Skill Tree

Striking -> Dramatic Entrance -> Hard to Get (!!) by level 20 so melee dazes, phasewalk dazes and the phasewalk cycle time is down to 20sec

Silent Resolve -> Hit and Run brings the phasewalk duration up to 9.5sec and reduces your damage taken for the time your out of phase

Quicksilver -> Radiance -> Intuition for getting into and out of combat

And finally Girl Power and Phoenix to take advantage of the Catalyst Class mod's boosts.

With a corrosive artifact you're simultaneously doing fire (Phoenix), shock (Radiance) and corrosive damage, and you're spending as much or more time in phasewalk as not
Isthiriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 02:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1918

I haven't played a Siren yet, so I barely got my head around most of that. Barely. I'll be workin' on Siren next. I'll be using this page to do it too.

Memorial Signature pic
Firebrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 09:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25502

Amused

Basically take the whole control tree, that's my spec. Super-awesome tanking spec. Couple it with an x4 SMG + smg ammo regen and dmg weapon mod (mercenary) and you can spray wildly about and daze *everything* in sight. I use phasewalk for added boost and getting myself out of tight situations, and also for topping off my health.

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ohh necromancy!

As a minor update, since I found a hellfire SMG for the Firefly, the game was just silly easy. Everything just falls over dead in moments.
Old 25th January 2010, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1918

Yes, all well and good. But what does one do while still growing up. I'm too low to find any elemental weapons.

Memorial Signature pic
Firebrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 01:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Fire mods show up pretty quickly. Early game you just run what whatever works for you.