Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10th November 2009, 04:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 639

Default [OF2] Multiplayer mission help needed

Since a few of you have already made multiplayer maps I'm hoping that someone can answer these questions for me. I haven't found any love on the official OFP DR scripting forum.

1. Do I have to worry about respawning players via Lua scripting or does the engine handle that for me when I place a spawn point on the map? I see the example multiplayer mission doesn't have a level.lua script.

2. What is the multiplayer camera and what does it do? When do I need one and how many do I need (one in the mission, one per side, as many as I want)?

I have a multiplayer PvP mission to test and before wasting people's time I'd like to get all the issues worked out. Or at least as many as I can.

Finally, is anyone here up for some testing? The mission is a Sector Control map (one of my favourite modes in the original). There are a series of sectors that the teams need to seize and hold. Points are awarded (roughly every minute) for controlling a sector. The first team to X number of points wins the match. Maybe we can meet up if I stay up really late one night and you guys can start early.

If things work out like I want this will actually be a framework for creating sector control maps. That is, people will just have to place the entities they want (players, vehicles, emplacements, sandbags etc), define a few triggerzones for the sectors and start playing. No scripting needed.

Old 10th November 2009, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Elite - Post: 3705

Cheerful

I wish I could help you out but I have been concentrating on Co-Op missions. If you send what you have to me I could have a look/play/trial and hopefully figure some of those questions out. Drop me a PM if you want to send the file to me.

aut viam inveniam aut faciam - Hannibal
SgtMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 05:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
Since a few of you have already made multiplayer maps I'm hoping that someone can answer these questions for me. I haven't found any love on the official OFP DR scripting forum.
That reminds me, I need to PM SgtMech about his previous offer... All comments below refer to annihilation mode only (I haven't tried infiltration or co-op modes yet).

Quote:
1. Do I have to worry about respawning players via Lua scripting or does the engine handle that for me when I place a spawn point on the map? I see the example multiplayer mission doesn't have a level.lua script.
You don't need to worry about explicitly respawning players/AI via LUA script, the game takes care of this for you.

Near as I can tell, you don't even need to be too picky about the placement of spawn points, either; I've placed one per team in the rough vicinity of an "if all else fails" respawn location, but most of the time respawns are near existing members of your fire team, as I recall.

Quote:
2. What is the multiplayer camera and what does it do? When do I need one and how many do I need (one in the mission, one per side, as many as I want)?
Well, the Mission Editor help lists the multiplayer modes when the camera entity is "required", but I've encountered a number of custom missions with no camera at all (so their backgrounds, see below, are often in dodgy locations) so technically it should still work.

I've seen the camera used to display the initial view of the battlefield as a background to fire team/unit/soldier selection, but beyond that I have no idea what purpose it serves.

I've only added one camera.

Quote:
Finally, is anyone here up for some testing?
I think Ned was offering to organise the testing of maps/missions...

Oh, forgot to mention in my original reply - the "Mission Image" for me was never working in the original release of the game (it worked in the Mission Editor, but not in the game itself); the Skirmish Pack/Patch has fixed that.

Last edited by Unknown; 10th November 2009 at 05:16 PM.
Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 56

Sorry for late reply but been flat out hosting this game for multiplayer.
Go to my page at goat and download my missions folder inside the update 9, and put the missions folder wich has about 30 maps into your data win folder.
it has most working mp maps and there are readme instructons below link on site.
Actualy here is path but if you use steam the path is here but i probly have spelling mistakes, sry no one is prfect im better with my hands than my brain lol.
They go here C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OF Dragon Rising\data_win\missions

Here is steam directions
that LT DAN told me
c:\Program Files\steam\steamapps\common\operation flashpoint dragon rising\data_win\missions

NOTE: I put mission map floders inside the missions folder and inside mission editor folder wich is inside missions folder as well.

Last edited by Mutley; 11th November 2009 at 01:27 PM.
Mutley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 03:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys,

I think I have it all sorted, just need to get on with the testing.

I'll check the maps mutley, but right now I'm having way to much fun scripting the AI to actually play the game!
Old 16th November 2009, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11366

As Unknown said, let us know if/when you would like some help testing you work

That goes for anyone!
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 04:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'll try to remember to startup xfire and I've also joined the TOG group on steam so ping me if you see me online.
Old 25th November 2009, 04:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ok, I'm not having any luck finding people to play with, but I have put the maps online at http://www.suderman.com/OFPDR/SectorControl.zip for others to test/look at. There is a multiplayer version and a single player version. Both maps are fairly basic as I don't want to spend a lot of time dicking around positioning sandbags etc until I know the rest of it works.

There are still a couple of details to finish, but it should be able to create new sector control maps simply by making a copy of the multiplayer map and defining new triggerzones, adding soldiers, crates, etc. etc. No modifications to the Lua code should be necessary, although if you want to assign different point values to different sectors you will need to edit a few lines at the top of the file. Same for changing the score required for a win.

Let me know what you think, or if you have any problem.
Old 28th November 2009, 05:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

Anybody down under up for some afternoon/early evening gaming? I am still trying to test a few things with the multiplayer modes and for that I need multiple players. I should be on X-Fire until late tonight (US Eastern time).
Old 28th November 2009, 10:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11366

I'll help you test your map! I should be able to get a couple of others as well. Time will be an issue over the next two weeks though..

I'll also add the work you do the the TOG maps & mods thread!

Ned is offline   Reply With Quote