Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19th November 2009, 05:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1326

Can anyone tell me - what WAS Borderlands being sold for on Steam?

Manuzza
Manuzza is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19th November 2009, 05:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5238

Tired

US$50 for a single copy. US$150 for a four pack.

Pre-release sale: US$45 (single) / US$135 (four pack).
Jigoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 09:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

It's really bad form by 2K Games from the outset. Why create the apparent disparity to start with, it's only asking to receive backlash from the major retail game chains in Australia / New Zealand. I'm suspecting they had a digital distribution team that wasn't talking to their retail distribution team, and the former didn't even consider Aus/NZ or the current exchange rates when signing off on steam pricing.

I've noticed that EB Games now has the game at $20 off on their website - wondering if 2K have had to placate retail with $$ or just this ridiculous action on steam.

For those who do have it through steam I wonder if this will impact upon our ability to purchase the DLC?
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff

Last edited by Thermal Ions; 19th November 2009 at 09:36 PM.
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 09:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Tired

The one thing I can think of in our favour is that "DLC", by its nature, doesn't require a retail distributor. So it'll depend on what resources Gearbox draw upon. If they deal directly with Steam and also distribute the content themselves, I don't see a problem. If 2K are involved it would be a more grim scenario. It would then likely require Valve and 2K to come to a workable agreement.

Alternatively we all hit up our good friends in other countries to help us out =p
Old 19th November 2009, 09:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Lurking

I thought I'd go to 2K Games site and ask them about the availability of DLC for steam users in Australia & New Zealand. So I go to the site, choose Australia as my country, click on Support, scroll down to Contact Us and click the link - and get "Unable to Connect". looking at the link it's trying to direct me to:

Code:
http://localhost/uk/contact
Selecting UK as my country I at least get an email address for Europe. Guess I'll just email both the Europe and US addresses as I can't find any way to fix the above link to get a valid page to display.

If I get a response back I'll post it.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Old 19th November 2009, 09:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Tired

2K Australia: 2K Australia - Game Development Studios
Old 19th November 2009, 11:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Lurking

Thanks Jig. They really need to sort out their international sites and links properly.

Playing:
Old 20th November 2009, 12:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1918

Buzzed

I was at EB games today and I pointed out the prices to my Girlfriend for both Borderlands and the 'Coming Soon' Title of Left 4 Dead 2. I paid $43 and $37 dollars repectively. They were asking for $80-something and $104, respectively.

Edit: Oh yeah Borderland did have a $20 off sticker too.

Memorial Signature pic

Last edited by Firebrand; 20th November 2009 at 12:10 AM.
Firebrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 12:07 AM   #19 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Lurking

Interestingly, Borderlands appears to still be purchasable through gamersgate.com - well I could add it to my cart and proceed to checkout while logged into an account where my location is listed as Australia anyway.

GamersGate - Borderlands - Buy and download games for PC now

Same doesn't hold true for direct2drive.com but then I never seem to come across much on there I can actually purchase from Australia (that I'm interested enough in from them to look at anyway).

Might make a suspicious person a little more suspicous of how strained the Valve / 2K Games relationship is right now. Or maybe just how slow gamersgate.com is in acting.

Playing:
Old 20th November 2009, 12:15 AM   #20 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
I was at EB games today and I pointed out the prices to my Girlfriend for both Borderlands and the 'Coming Soon' Title of Left 4 Dead 2. I paid $43 and $37 dollars repectively. They were asking for $90-something and $104, respectively.
I sometimes feel a little guilty seeing people pick up and buy games at EB which I know are priced 50% or even less when purchased digitally. Of particular note was when the half price orange box sales have been on steam and EB were still flogging it for 2-3 times the regular steam price.

I placate myself by reasoning they don't have the download allowance, proceed to point out quietly to Opti what I paid for it, both laugh, leave empty handed and then come home and play said games with a sly smile.

Playing: