Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20th November 2009, 12:23 AM   #21 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Ions View Post
I sometimes feel a little guilty seeing people pick up and buy games at EB which I know are priced 50% or even less when purchased digitally. Of particular note was when the half price orange box sales have been on steam and EB were still flogging it for 2-3 times the regular steam price.

I placate myself by reasoning they don't have the download allowance, proceed to point out quietly to Opti what I paid for it, both laugh, leave empty handed and then come home and play said games with a sly smile.
Names changed to protect the innocent but yeah, that's just what I did. After stopping to look at the DJ Hero Video.

Memorial Signature pic
Firebrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20th November 2009, 08:59 AM   #22 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5240

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Ions View Post
Interestingly, Borderlands appears to still be purchasable through gamersgate.com -
I suspect the real reason is that GamersGate are such an insignificant player in the digital distribution game that 2K Australia have forgotten they are selling it.
Jigoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 09:24 AM   #23 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1294

Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
I'd be looking further up the food chain to see just who is really gouging us (and I mean that)...

You're right - with the AUD doing so well at present, none of the past "exchange rate" excuses are valid.

if there is any gouging goin on its definately higher up the food chain.

i know with ski gear.. the australian disties for some of the bigger brands have to put in and pay for their orders about about 6 months in advance(at the start of the US ski season proceeding it)... which meant in the 2008 aussie ski season the price difference between aus and us gear was massive, because the aussies disties had paid for it when the dollar was alot weaker. Maybe there's something like that going on here... or... maybe someones just making a killing.

Don't forget to there are other costs involved with retail games, disc's, packaging, transport. But still... not for that much of a price difference.

el
Old 20th November 2009, 10:18 AM   #24 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3568 TOG Bronze Level Supporter

Relaxed

Just out of interest, if anyone can wait 4-5 days for it you can get it for $42 AUD with free delivery here
Spiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 03:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25567

Amused

Back on Steam, but the price has gone up.

Borderlands Gets Aussie Price Rise On Steam | Kotaku Australia

Quote:
“Unfortunately due to an internal error, Borderlands was briefly available for download on Steam for Australian users at an incorrect price. We have since reposted the game for the discounted price of AU$79.95 and apologise for the inconvenience.”

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 03:58 PM   #26 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1294

Bored

lol... case closed. feel sorry for manutz...

el
Old 20th November 2009, 04:04 PM   #27 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5240

Tired

It is actually listed at US$80 and following the link on the Steam store still brings you to a "Not available in your region" error.

Last edited by Jigoku; 20th November 2009 at 04:07 PM.
Jigoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 04:25 PM   #28 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1326

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusiver View Post
lol... case closed. feel sorry for manutz...

el
It is a done deal - I will NOT be buying Borderlands.

It was $50US and now $80US - there is ZERO DIFFERENCE in the distribution model between the US and AUS so the extra $30 is additional profit - nothing more and nothing less. I mean, if they are going to charge us a special and different price specifically for our region it SHOULD be in AUS dollars! But instead it is in US dollars and THEN we have to pay the exchange rate above that!

Additionally, for the less money I can buy a retail box. For less money I get a physical product that has been manufactured on one side of the world, stored in warehouses, shipped over oceans, stored in more warehouses, delivered to distributors, delivered to stores, placed on shelves and then sold to me, and every step of that process involves costs and profit taken from the total purchase price.

And for those who are so inclined, there is a buge difference in the carbon produced by the two distribution models.

The retail box means that I do not have to download the game. But the Steam version means I do not have to find the damn CD whenever I want to play the game, I do not have additional "stuff" (the box and CD) that I have to find somewhere to store/keep, and I never have to patch the game as it is always and automatically patched.

Lastly, I can only assume that the boxed version will not have the same access to Steam Friends, and seeing as I always game with Toggers and not randoms I am simply not interested in the boxed version.

No Borderlands for me, just because I went to buy about 4 hours too late!

Manuzza

Last edited by Manuzza; 20th November 2009 at 04:27 PM.
Manuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 05:15 PM   #29 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3568 TOG Bronze Level Supporter

Relaxed

I believe you can install the boxed version and register it with your steam client and it will work as normal. I did this ages ago when I purchased Half Life before I had Steam, once I had Steam installed it identified I had a registered version and ever since has kept it on my steam games list and allows me to d/l etc. and play without the disk. I'm hoping the same will be true when my copy of Borderlands which I ordered today for $42 from CD-WOW comes. I'll let you know.
Spiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 05:18 PM   #30 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiggy View Post
I believe you can install the boxed version and register it with your steam client and it will work as normal. I did this ages ago when I purchased Half Life before I had Steam, once I had Steam installed it identified I had a registered version and ever since has kept it on my steam games list and allows me to d/l etc. and play without the disk. I'm hoping the same will be true when my copy of Borderlands which I ordered today for $42 from CD-WOW comes. I'll let you know.
Wow indeed.

For LESS THAN HALF PRICE I also get that expensive list of things I mentioned in the post below. How the hell does that work?

This price disparity is so bad I am actually thinking about contacting ACCC!

Manuzza.
Manuzza is offline   Reply With Quote