Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20th November 2009, 06:13 PM   #31 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5238

Tired

Retail Borderlands can not be activated on Steam.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7480-WUSF-3601

I wouldn't bother Manuzza. CD-WOW aren't an Australian company (product is shipped out of Hong Kong) and the stock you receive is not produced for the Australian market. Mostly it is produced for either the UK or continental Asia. The ACCC would have no jurisdiction.
Jigoku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20th November 2009, 07:14 PM   #32 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25473

Amused

Yeah thats a bit crazy. If they were going to make it rise to be comparable they should have it in local currency for sure.

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 08:27 PM   #33 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuzza View Post
Lastly, I can only assume that the boxed version will not have the same access to Steam Friends, and seeing as I always game with Toggers and not randoms I am simply not interested in the boxed version.
The Steam version of Borderlands doesn't have any special integration with Steam Friends or anything similar - you can still create a shortcut within the Steam client to a retail version of Borderlands and use the Steam overlay, Steam Friends, etc. For Borderlands games, it uses its own internal/Gamespy system (yes, even the Steam version does).

As for the rest - yeah, it's price gouging by 2K obviously. "Briefly"? Try weeks and weeks and weeks... What, next 2K will have us believe they were totally unaware of the pricing? BS.
Old 20th November 2009, 09:00 PM   #34 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1335 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Sneaky

What get's me is the blatant bullsh#t from the retailers...

The Aussie dollar performs, most other trades see savings (see computer parts for an example of this).

Software? Games have been around the 50 USD mark for A or higher rated titles for a very long time and Aus has been around 80-90, which was understandable when the dollar was at 60 cents.

But digital delivery, particularly across Steam, is almost cost free. Hell, most of my Steam content comes from my ISP or other Aus steam mirrors. Steam doesn't pay for the bandwidth. There is no DVD, no packaging, no manual. No shipping costs, no retail margin beyond what Steam applies. And yet we're supposed to care about the poor local providers who aren't going to compete???

Sorry for the rant but this chaps my ass. I recall trying to buy the 2142 expansion from the EA online delivery system, I got gated to the Aus one where the cost was ~80 aud, but the US EA site had it for 20 USD... This situation is even more ridiculous. Game pricing should be uniform world wide, not arbitrarily set depending on ancient dollar values that are no longer relevant...

Great thing I already got a 4 pack at the princely sum of 39 AUD per copy amongst 4 people.

Asmodai aka Saviourself aka Stabbitha aka Azshadoria... or Azsh... Azshaz?
Asmodai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 09:01 PM   #35 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

I wonder if the "internal error" at 2K is now looking for alternate employment?
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 09:08 PM   #36 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

The question Asmodai is whether it's the Australian retailers or the publisher who are pocketing the benefit of a strong Aussie dollar. Not a question I know the answer to. Doesn't stop me from feeling ripped of at retail - I just don't know who I should be *really* blaming.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 09:53 PM   #37 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1326

I just posted this to 2k here: pr@2kgames.com

Quote:
I am an Australian consumer contacting you due to a total lack of any contact details on your Australian site. In fact your "Contact Us" link goes to the following address:

http://localhost/uk/contact

I held off my Borderlands Steam purchase as I was waiting to see what the game was like. Friends liked it so when I finally decided to buy it was no longer available and then, suddenly, the cost mysteriously rose to $80US.

How can you possibly justify such pricing for digital content? The cost of supplying a Steam game to Australia should be identical to the US. You also save on manufacturing, packaging, shipping, warehouses and distribution, not to mention all of the slices of margin taken by distributors and retailers. And yet Australian consumers are charged a premium for no apparent reason.

Arguements about the value of the Aussie dollar are also moot - despite having a price on Steam specifically for Australian consumers, it is still being offered in US and not AUS dollars, hence the real cost is even more! So if the dollar drops dramatically over the next few months, then the game could jump to far more than double what it costs in the US.

I and quite a few others I know were considering buying the game. In fact, I had already decided to do so. However you have no chance of ever having me purchase your products again unless you cease price gouging Australian consumers.
I will let you know if there is any kind of response.

Manuzza
Manuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 10:42 PM   #38 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuzza View Post
I will let you know if there is any kind of response.

Manuzza
Please do. I'll be waiting with baited breath. no sarcasm.

My, my isn't the gaming scene becoming so political lately. And so many letters being written. Tog is gonna need a Petition Division soon.

Memorial Signature pic
Firebrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 07:55 AM   #39 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3539 TOG Bronze Level Supporter

Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
The Steam version of Borderlands doesn't have any special integration with Steam Friends or anything similar - you can still create a shortcut within the Steam client to a retail version of Borderlands and use the Steam overlay, Steam Friends, etc. For Borderlands games, it uses its own internal/Gamespy system (yes, even the Steam version does).
And if I'm saving over $40 on the purchase price, having to stick then CD in the drive is an inconvenience I'm prepared to live with.
Spiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2009, 11:26 AM   #40 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 355

Goofy

Well Borderlands is now $80US for Australian's. I'm going to start using Proxies to buy games as this is ridiculous. You can pay less in Australia for a boxed version that looks quite nifty sitting on your shelf.

It costs publishers 3 shades of stuff all to have their game coming through Steam.

They don't need to pay for discs, cases, boxes and case sleeves.
They don't need to pay for the boxes, discs, sleeves and manuals printing.
They don't need to pay for freight, warehouse storage and losses through damage, misplacing and the inevitable over quota that gets thrown away.

Though for some bizzare reason... They DO feel the need to overcharge Australian's via Steam for a product that is costing them significantly less to produce.

And they wonder why people just steal their games?