Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19th November 2009, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1918

Default [Borderlands] I will never host publically again!

This morning, with a lack of morning cartoons, I hopped on BL to shoot some toons. feeling adventurous I also decided to see who would jump in if I hosted publicly. Seeing the others in the browser were proclaiming to be from Germany others from western America. Seeing that I delcared myself Australian and cast out my hook.

While I was chatting to Mixa in between locations I got a bite. A guy from Sydney I think he said. We didn't get far before he wanted to show me his hardware. Fair enough you say, well it is.
"You might want these." said the right Green lvl 50 Hunter. "You can have them." And he throws some on the ground while he demonstrates the pretty particles spewing forth from his equipped munitions. I do mean "spew".

His Rocket Launcher fired a stream of explosions and his sniper looked it behaved as a shotgun. Then he told me He made them himself. I knew his outfit looked hinkey. He was so proud too. He could lay waste to a village of bandits but it seems one stray bullet would put him on his knees trying to catch his breath.

Hex Edits.

I want nothing to do with them. In Age Of Empires, once I had a corvette, or in Star Wars Battlegrounds and I had an ewok or a DeathStar, it was game over. I stopped playing. Not from disgust as in this mornings case but in boredom. At my finger tips was a victory without striving or reward. And these "Twisted" firearms presented to me this morning would sap the life from my game in the same way.

The public can do what they want with their game, but the untrust-worthy unwashed masses can stay out of my party.

If a Togger wants to hack their hardware I wont decry them. They are welcome to just don't throw it at my feet to brag about what you made. I'll do what I did this morning. I'll pick it up, sell it and leave. You can always make another one.

Memorial Signature pic
Firebrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19th November 2009, 04:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

Hahaha pick it up, sell it and leave. I like.

Absolutely agree. Character/item hacks killed Diablo 2 for me eventually. Luckily it's eminently replayable after some time away to mature and I'm good at learning from my mistakes.
Old 19th November 2009, 06:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12265

Just stick with TOGgers!
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 08:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
Hex Edits.

I want nothing to do with them. In Age Of Empires, once I had a corvette, or in Star Wars Battlegrounds and I had an ewok or a DeathStar, it was game over. I stopped playing. Not from disgust as in this mornings case but in boredom. At my finger tips was a victory without striving or reward. And these "Twisted" firearms presented to me this morning would sap the life from my game in the same way.
Exactly
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 11:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25502

Amused

I don't see the point of that either, I mean. How boring is it to just have an [I WIN] button?

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 03:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Average - Post: 132

Blah

I once was a person that might have used the odd cheat code in a good old Amiga game. But as I got older, I understood that being the highest level or wiping out planets with my starfighter wasn't what gave me pleasure. It is going from a noob pilot to an ace. All thumbs to twitchy reflexes of a cat. Beating the game, and knowing that I did it. Yes, it means that some games I just scream at, because I'm more of a drooling old cat than a fence jumping nimble one, but I still enjoy the journey.

Hopefully all those HEX editors script kiddies GenY'ers out there only need a little bit of time before they too learn what it means to be a gamer.

my 2c worth.
LotRo
: Ratfink (alts: Limli, Kirbo, Kalras, Willfred, Ragabas, Thurston, Finky, Kirauilos)
Plus many other MMOish games...
tri23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 04:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12265

I suppose the old "idkfa" code for Doom was fine in it's day. They were put there for discovery, and for crap players like me (then) it was the only way to see what the rest of the game was like But those only applied to single player games - it affected nobody else, and was actually a mechanism of the game straight from the designers.

These guys are just cheats and hackers. To do so in a game that you share with others puts you (effectively) into a completely different game. If you do it - don't then spread the poo. Keep it to yourselves.
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2009, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 355

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre8 View Post
I suppose the old "idkfa" code for Doom was fine in it's day. They were put there for discovery, and for crap players like me (then) it was the only way to see what the rest of the game was like But those only applied to single player games - it affected nobody else, and was actually a mechanism of the game straight from the designers.

These guys are just cheats and hackers. To do so in a game that you share with others puts you (effectively) into a completely different game. If you do it - don't then spread the poo. Keep it to yourselves.
Diablo in it's heayday of hackdom was a crackup. You had PK's (Player Killers) who would lure noobs out of town to murder. Then you had the PKK's (Player Killer Killers) who would hunt down the PK's. Now the odd part was both were hacked to the nines and totally invincible.

The PKK's would try to kill the PK's, but the PK's were invincible, just like the PKK's. So you'd have the PK and PKK going at it for an hour or so lunging fireballs and the such with no chance of ever killing each other... Then there was me the KK (Kompletely Klueless) laying on the ground with my ear in the PK's pocket
Old 22nd November 2009, 03:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4186

omg. I only just clicked what idkfa means.

Yes I am slow.
Snott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2009, 03:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5239

Tired

iddqd and idspispopd were better =p
Jigoku is offline   Reply With Quote