Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20th November 2009, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 308

Mellow
Default Call of Duty MMO?

While the majority of the article relates to the release of MW2 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 video game gets Hollywood-scale launch -- latimes.com, the last two paragraphs make interesting reading.

Quote:
As Activision seems to be discovering this year with Guitar Hero, there's danger when a title is overexposed with too many iterations. Nonetheless, the publisher has aggressive expansion plans for Call of Duty. Although Infinity Ward and Treyarch have produced sequels in alternating years since 2005, the publisher now has a third development studio working on future versions.

One person close to the company said it also was considering adapting Call of Duty as a massively multi-player online world. The genre, in which Activision's Blizzard Entertainment subsidiary is a leader, requires huge upfront investments but can be very profitable as players pay a monthly subscription fee.
Wonder who the 3rd developer is.
Flibbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20th November 2009, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25501

Amused

Sure, why not; Global Agenda and the Agency are doing it.

Hmmm and Global Agenda is so close!

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2009, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11366

Like I've always said, Call of Duty went downhill after CoD: United Offensive
Thanks for the info on this Flibbs!
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 04:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 545

Chatty

oh goody..the world of nade spam haha...i wonder what they would base it in
WW2..WaW..MW..or how one of the publishers planned to make a CoD future warfare game...and who is the 3rd publisher
Old 23rd November 2009, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1489

Happy

lol nade spam ... combinded with the purple epic "Holy Nade"

llllloooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *KABOOM*

True to type organic, heirloom and open pollinated seeds, join the revolution against modified foods and enjoy the taste of home grown food.

Grow fresh, eat fresh!
delushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 04:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25501

Amused

Well, extrapolating a little here (this is all just heresay).

You could setup battlefield content to be worked through. that content would be fairly easy to do as static in much the way other mmo's are done today, except using an FPS based combat system instead. Ideally though, they might be a little more dynamic and let factions fight one another. I would strongly suggest they not use real countries and just invent a conflict no matter what time period was chosen.

Presumably there'd be some more RPG elements with leveling up, unlocking perks and equipment. You could still have the fast anytime action of a regular multiplayer setup, or co-op type campaigns found in other games like borderlands too. You could also have pvp battlefields where factions could vie for control of areas and resources and so forth.

Yeah it could be done, and I bet you enough people would pay for it. Activision would be very happy too; monthly sub's!

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 04:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 5366

Sleepy

FPS MMO - done before. Anyone remember Planetside? I do, and at times I miss it, but SOE killed it in the same way they killed SWG.

Persistent world would be the way to go. I remember fighting over the same pieces of Planetside dirt for days. Very satisfying when you win.

Could be something to watch.
Old 23rd November 2009, 10:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Chatty

i say do it like a game i saw ages ago...its an MMOFPS based in WW2...the world/map was free roaming over germany and france...and basically you could run where ever you wanted...and do whatever you wanted..and you would gain levels for helping allies, killing enemy forces, doing night raids and infiltration adn what not. it was pretty sweet as it was continuosly going...you could literally get in a bomber in britain (if you were an ally) and you and a team could fly it into german and bomb the shit outta them if ya wanted..and you could parachute out if your plane got too damaged..and fight beyond enemy lines while calling for backup..of course another play would have to respond and normally waves of players would come running to help ya lol
Old 24th November 2009, 01:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11366

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCamV View Post
i say do it like a game i saw ages ago...its an MMOFPS based in WW2...
Can you find the name of that game for us??
Sounds interesting
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 09:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Chatty

WWIIOL: Battleground Europe its called...heres a brief description of it.

Play occurs on a 1/2 scale map of Western Europe. It is one of the largest MMOG maps, at over 350,000 km², with most play occurring in a 30,000 km² central area in which capturable cities, airfields and ports have been placed.

WWIIOL is team-oriented. Players are various troops, pilots, gunners, tank commanders, naval destroyer captains, mission leaders, high commanders and are organized into brigades. Everyone plays in the brigade of their choice. Smaller military units of heavily-themed squads are independently managed by players and can use their own tactics but must the follow the brigade and strategic rules set by the high command players and cooperate with other squads and non-squad players. Being a squad member is optional but encouraged. Some squads have vigorous membership rites. Anyone can, however, form their own squad, solicit members and register the squad with the high command for brigade assignment.