Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10th December 2009, 04:20 PM   #21 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2005

Asleep

But the backlash wouldn't just be from aussies, it would be everyone who paid for the game on PC. Steam would get slaughtered with complaints and requests for refunds.

It's mostly that the executives buy the crap spurted by the DRM company salesmen - who walk into the meeting, drop statistics about how they've lost eleventy billion dollars because every pirate copy is 2.3 lost sales (average household size x downloads). DRM product XYZ costs only $1mil and will get you back 90% of those downloads!*

*this is complete bullshit but it sounds good to executives.

Old 10th December 2009, 05:15 PM   #22 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 355

Goofy

Though it's pretty crap that you can buy it off Gearbox website (for the retail version) for $3 less.

If this is the way Steam is going. I may as well just buy boxed versions of games from overseas...
Old 10th December 2009, 05:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reoh View Post
Gamers understand these facts, publisher's Corporate Executives that make the decisions don't. When you think about it really, it doesn't make much sense to have people in charge that don't really know whats going on in the world. But then, just look at our politicians!
It's the case in almost any business, sad but true. I've had to help IT managers with the most basic of IT issues. If the people selling the product put a good enough spin on it, the poor saps in charge often just lap it up. In fact I can't think of a job that I have worked in where management hasn't regularly shown how out of touch they are with reality. It's maddening for the plebs but what can you do?
Old 10th December 2009, 05:34 PM   #24 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 355

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Brush View Post
It's mostly that the executives buy the crap spurted by the DRM company salesmen - who walk into the meeting, drop statistics about how they've lost eleventy billion dollars because every pirate copy is 2.3 lost sales (average household size x downloads). DRM product XYZ costs only $1mil and will get you back 90% of those downloads!*

*this is complete bullshit but it sounds good to executives.
I really do not understand the logic in paying good money for copy protection. It's a waste of time, money and resources implementing DRM. Especially since it is bypassed by numerous cracking groups within hours of being released.

The software companies that keep on falling into the hole they dug really need a good clip across the ear over this. All they are doing is creating a wider relations gap between their customers. The thieves just sit back, and happily play the game....

One prime example is a 4x Space Trader that had nothing but a serial (Can't remember the game). The game was selling massive amounts of copies because all they did was get you to use your cd-key to access constant free downloads on their site. Such a simple thing generated tons of sales upon it's release.

Anyways. As for Dr Ned, they can bugger off! I have no particular interest atm, and can't afford it.
Old 10th December 2009, 06:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12268

I bought and downloaded it this morning and played through a couple of missions.

I am going through with my first playthrough character and was level 43 when I went there. Turns out it's a nice'ish level for it as most mobs you encounter at the start area is about level 42-43. There are a ton of zombies though! Heaps more target to shoot at than the main game.

I'm going to complete the Zombie Land and then go back to the original game to complete my 2nd playthrough.
Old 10th December 2009, 07:01 PM   #26 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1918

It's a bad day and the heat is adding to a bad mood while other bad things happen. Went to play on the drums with the GF on Band Hero. One of the cables has been snapped out of the cymbal.

I bought Ned. Bugger the rest of the politics. I'm gonna cap some zombies.

Memorial Signature pic
Firebrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 07:47 PM   #27 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Would have grudgingly paid the extra $3 odd after complaining to 2K about blatant price gouging, however throw 5 activation limit on top of it and it's no sale.

Now I don't have a problem with reasonable DRM (even some implementations of SecureROM), hey I'm using steam so it would be hypocritical to complain about all DRM. But install limits I will not abide.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 08:14 PM   #28 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2554

no purchase here... i was looking foward to it too.

All kinds of awsome...?
Splooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 09:51 AM   #29 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2005

Asleep

Harry, we know it's bullshit, the DRM people know it's bullshit, the game developers know it's bullshit, but the publishers are lapping it up. The DRM people just say something like (numbers made up) "We estimate your last game was pirated 500,000 times - with an average margin of $10 per retail sale, you lost 5,000,000. We can reduce that loss to just 1,000,000 and it will only cost you 1,000,000 - that means you save 3 mil!". About 10 seconds after that they've got signed contracts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Ions View Post
Now I don't have a problem with reasonable DRM (even some implementations of SecureROM), hey I'm using steam so it would be hypocritical to complain about all DRM. But install limits I will not abide.
Steam DRM is about the only kind of DRM that I find acceptable. And there is a single reason for that; they offer me a service in return.

Steam will provide me access to download my games as long as their servers are alive - this means I don't have to worry about finding disks (impossible for me) and can delete/download stuff without worrying if I can still find the box.

While I would prefer that Steam operated like GOG and just let me download stuff DRM free, the small layer of encryption and an extra authentication is a price I'm willing to pay since it's not invasive.

SecuROM, Starforce etc are far too invasive, and far, far too limiting for me to ever consider a title that uses it.
Old 11th December 2009, 10:45 AM   #30 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1294

Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Brush View Post
Harry, we know it's bullshit, the DRM people know it's bullshit, the game developers know it's bullshit,
hey brushy... rage much??

el