Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11th December 2009, 08:44 PM   #31 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
DOTA2
Deadly - Post: 2090

Confused

I feel like a computer noob, but what's so bad about Securom? A few games I own have it and I've never really noticed it. It doesn't pop up with anything, it doesn't slow anything down, it's never stopped me from playing a game, so what does it do that's so bad?

Being pissed at the 5 activations I sort of get, but you can revoke them and if you run out you can contact the publisher for more. I can't imagine myself having to reinstall it the other 4 times anyway :S
Battlelog ~ PSN - Trent_Steele ~ Steam ~ Battle.net - Chief#6843
Chief is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11th December 2009, 10:41 PM   #32 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

I've never had any problems tracked back to SecuROM myself, but seen lots of claims that it caused stability issues, damages drives and installs into Ring 0. I don't profess to know the truth of it.

SecuROM can mean CD Checks, online activations, verification everytime you run, regular timed re-activation requirements (e.g. every 10 days), limited installs with or without the ability to revoke (at Publisher discretion). Apart from CD Checks (leaving aside loss / damage) the rest all have the potential if not guarantee to limit when and for how long you can use your purchased game (it's reliant upon their whim and continuation of the activation server).

Activation limits and the requirement to re-activate your game at regular intervals are the ones I find most invasive and will refuse to accept.

I particularly don't like what 2K has done by piling activation limits on top of Steam's DRM. And according to the statement on the DLC tab if you go into Borderlands properties, it means your whole Borderlands game has the activation limits not just the DLC, as you can't install just the core game anymore once you've purchased the DLC.

Quote:
All downloadable content is automatically installed and uninstalled along with the game, and can be accessed by playing it.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 01:40 PM   #33 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
...but what's so bad about Securom?
I had a long reply written, but decided it doesn't really matter as at the end of the day, I've been burnt by SecuROM w/ activation limits before so I'm gun-shy of accepting it again.

The short version of my original reply is - SecuROM delivers nothing of value to you, the customer; at least Steam delivers less intrusive DRM along with worthwhile benefits, thus providing a sense of balance.

I can understand (sort of) adding SecuROM to the retail version of Borderlands+DLC, but to the Steam version? Sorry, but that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. After everything else 2K/Gearbox have deliberately stuffed up (yup, I'm beyond believing any of it was an "accident"), this was just too much.

Isn't it interesting how the whole debate (here or elsewhere) is about the DLC's inclusion of SecuROM with activation limits, not how AU/NZ customers have once again been screwed-over when it comes to the price of the DLC?
Old 12th December 2009, 02:20 PM   #34 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 355

Goofy

Gearbox are really proving they have nothing but contempt for their customers... Securom, price hikes, game breaking bugs (that are still not fixed) and the bloody port forwarding.

Honestly, it's very doubtful that I'll buy another game of theirs after Borderlands. Plus I kind of doubt I'll bother buying Bioshock 2 because of 2K's crap as well.
Old 14th December 2009, 03:01 PM   #35 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2004

Asleep

I didn't buy bioshock 1 because of it, and I certainly won't buy bioshock 2 because of it.
Old 15th December 2009, 09:09 AM   #36 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25471

Amused

I really think Borderlands was a great game that was just a lot more popular than the developer and/or publisher realised, so they cheaped out a bit; especially on the post-launch support. Its a real shame because this is an innovative system that I know a whole bunch of other games are going to come out based on a similar gaming premise.

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 11:07 PM   #37 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4575

Fine

Just thought I would see exactly what it was up to (SecuROM) that is... hah! And turns out that it is the old evil empire itself JK!....

Sony!

Not sure if this is the best info but it seems like a decent explanation that I found:
How SecuROM Damages Your PC
Old 16th December 2009, 10:25 AM   #38 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25471

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghoidal View Post
Just thought I would see exactly what it was up to (SecuROM) that is... hah! And turns out that it is the old evil empire itself JK!....

Sony!

Not sure if this is the best info but it seems like a decent explanation that I found:
How SecuROM Damages Your PC
...now I'm worried.

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 01:53 PM   #39 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4156

Me also to be honest. Seems no one is straight-up these days, least of all software companies. Much like GameGuard using stuff that Antivirus's see as a Virus - because it uses the same processes! Its a virus in all but name. Sounds similar to SecuROM also now
Old 22nd December 2009, 08:34 PM   #40 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1294

Bored

i lolled when i saw that the DLC and 1.1 patch have been cracked and released.. lolled epiclly.. so the pirates have got it.. and your paying customers are refusing to buy it cause of securerom.. FAIL!

el